C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Monoleaf vendors

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 05:37 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

Default Monoleaf vendors

As I was pulling my gas tank, I noticed pieces of a black material on the floor under the center of my VBP monoleaf spring. Apparently there was a cushioning pad between the spring and the clamping plate and like most of the other VBP parts on the car, has disintegrated with time.

I doubt they made their own springs so does anyone have any idea who the original manufacturer might be? And if not, who are the trusted vendors that might be able to supply a replacement cushion?
Old 05-26-2018, 06:24 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I just bought a set of the pads and the insulator from VBP before they closed their doors. I spoke to them over the phone, and he said the rubber material they use comes from Goodyear rubber on the industrial side of the business. They buy it in large rolls and have a machine that cuts it to proper size. If we knew the spec for the rubber, might be able to buy a small quantity from Goodyear. It is bonded to the spring with Window Weld adhesive.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:03 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jrm5657
I just bought a set of the pads and the insulator from VBP before they closed their doors. I spoke to them over the phone, and he said the rubber material they use comes from Goodyear rubber on the industrial side of the business. They buy it in large rolls and have a machine that cuts it to proper size. If we knew the spec for the rubber, might be able to buy a small quantity from Goodyear. It is bonded to the spring with Window Weld adhesive.
How thick are they? I assume there are two of them, both equal in size and thickness?
Old 05-27-2018, 12:32 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Sorry, I don't have access to the car right now to measure anything, but they are the both the same size, I would estimate around 1/8" to 3/16" thick. Pretty firm rubber, I believe the primary function is to protect the fiberglass spring from getting scratched or gouged from direct metal contact.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:53 PM
66RBS
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jrm5657
Sorry, I don't have access to the car right now to measure anything, but they are the both the same size, I would estimate around 1/8" to 3/16" thick. Pretty firm rubber, I believe the primary function is to protect the fiberglass spring from getting scratched or gouged from direct metal contact.
No they are some sort of cushion. Remember The spring is clamped to the frame in 2 places approximately 12 inches apart. Imagine the end of the spring deflecting up then the center of the spring will deflect down. The clamps are the pivot point. And vice versa obviously. The metal block above the cushion has a grease fitting.

Vansteel is another fiberglass spring vendor

I talked to VBP about a month ago and yes they do (did) make their own springs.

Last edited by 66RBS; 05-27-2018 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Added Vansteel info
The following users liked this post:
65air_coupe (05-28-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 08:07 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

I needed the same cushions and VBP delayed for so long I made my own. I got a 6"x6" sheet of polyurethane 3/8" thick in hardness 60A from my favorite hardware supplier mcmaster.com (link). I cut it into four pieces of the correct size and secured as mentioned above. That is enough for one dual mount spring.

P.S. One of the highly respected engineers here said that attempting to secure those pads with a simple bolt and nut was hopeless as the urethane compresses too much to allow the bolt to properly stretch and lock in place. I solved that problem by adding nyloc nuts. That lets me secure the bolts without deforming the polyurethane too much. I also used thread locker on the threaded plate.

Last edited by kellsdad; 05-27-2018 at 08:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by kellsdad:
65air_coupe (05-28-2018), Frankie the Fink (05-28-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 04:34 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kellsdad
I needed the same cushions and VBP delayed for so long I made my own. I got a 6"x6" sheet of polyurethane 3/8" thick in hardness 60A from my favorite hardware supplier mcmaster.com (link). I cut it into four pieces of the correct size and secured as mentioned above. That is enough for one dual mount spring.

P.S. One of the highly respected engineers here said that attempting to secure those pads with a simple bolt and nut was hopeless as the urethane compresses too much to allow the bolt to properly stretch and lock in place. I solved that problem by adding nyloc nuts. That lets me secure the bolts without deforming the polyurethane too much. I also used thread locker on the threaded plate.
Interesting, I remember finding a couple of the bolts were loose some time back and thought it was because I failed to add lock-tite, unlikely tho. Now I think it wasn't so much that they were loose but that the pad was deteriorating.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:05 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

I bought a fiberglass rear spring from VB&P back in the early 90's when rebuilding the rear suspension on my '73 Corvette. It came with a Poly block that the instructions called for placing between the spring and the differential. The block was about 1" thick.

I was autocrossing the car at the time and in lowering the car to the height I wanted to run it with longer bolts, it placed the spring ends too close to the tire sidewall. I contacted VB&P and asked if I could remove the block and just use shorter bolts. (This would have the effect of lowering the car another inch and allow me to raise the spring ends an inch higher for additional tire clearance.) They told me it was there primarily to insulate the fiberglass spring from the heat of the differential.

I removed the block and replaced it with a 1/4" thick piece of Pheonolic Resin Board we used to insulate electronic components from the heat of gas turbine engines. It is still there ...as is the fiberglass spring.

GUSTO

Last edited by GUSTO14; 06-27-2018 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:08 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 929 Likes on 531 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...uspension.html

I called Van Steel, they can’t help us at all on front suspension.

Last edited by 59BlueSilver; 06-26-2018 at 11:11 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Monoleaf vendors

Quick Reply: Monoleaf vendors