C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

A good safety first reminder.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:18 AM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

Default A good safety first reminder.

Yesterday was our big Super Cruise in our town. A guy I know pulls in with his brand new Eleanor Mustang that he had built from the people who build them. Absolutely a stunning car and people flock to it instantly when he parked.

He shuts it off, gets out and starts to get his chairs and stuff out and someone asks him to pop the hood. So he does and almost immediately I can tell something is wrong over there.

i walk over and fuel is leaking down the fire wall pretty good. They have rags going I. Trying to soak it up, and even though the car is off the pressure on the line keeps the fuel leaking.

A couple of guys tear into it and after about a half hour it’s determined a .80 cent O ring didn’t seat properly and got mangled in the threads.

The guy paid about $250k and waited forever for this car and could have burned it to the ground on its maiden voyage. Didn’t have a fire extinguisher either.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:25 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

A classic, check-writer, quasi-hobbyist.
Nuf sed..
Old 05-27-2018, 08:29 AM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Nuf sed..
He did very well for himself in his business and now is enjoying the fruits of his labor. He bought a new Z06 last year and now this. I bet it has never crossed his mind, but will from now on.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:29 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Fire extinguisher is always a must. Just as important a fresh build needs "shake down" inspections and short runs. Look for and expect the unexpected. Thankfully no tragic ending. If the car caught fire it could have been interesting to see who's insurance was taking the loss and how the builder was going to make things right.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:31 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by jasonsamara

He did very well for himself in his business and now is enjoying the fruits of his labor. He bought a new Z06 last year and now this. I bet it has never crossed his mind, but will from now on.
I have no problem with that....he just needs to apply some of that hi-powered business acumen to basic safety considerations of buying a custom, hand-built or vintage car....and maybe do a physical inspection during the first few outings to ensure all is well.

Frankly, for $250K the builder should have installed a sexy fire extinguisher....
I feel for the guy a bit - I think the "Eleanor craze" has left the building....

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-27-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:37 AM
USMC 0802
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 959 Likes on 490 Posts
USMC

Glad you were there to help out and did the right thing.

Some people feel good taking shots at other folks - hopefully you tactfully schooled him up.

I love the Eleanor cars and know they’ll be classics forever...
Old 05-27-2018, 12:00 PM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,008 Likes on 573 Posts

**** happens. 20 cent part, go figure, no predicting.
in 1996 I had a 66 coupe literally explode in flames with me inside no joke.
Smelled fuel while driving, pulled onto shoulder did what I thought was a thorough inspection and found nothing.
Hopped in turned the key (ign obviously sparked it) and in a split second the rear of the car was surrounded in flames. I will never forget that sound. Made it out without getting burned. Yes I had a fire extinguisher and no I didnt even think to try and use it as it was instantly too dangerous to reach for safely. The cars was basically gone in minutes. This was well before cell phones so by the time the FD got there it was a smoking blazing melted scrap heap.
Oh and people that write checks for cars like the Eleanor Mustang do it because they can so good for them☺.

Last edited by phil2302; 05-27-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:47 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Nuf sed..
Wow - why so harshly judgemental about somebody you don’t even know out of someone else’s post?
Old 05-28-2018, 03:54 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,271 Likes on 812 Posts

Glad it turned out OK for this guy. I had a buddy who was invited to a photo shoot for Hot Rod a few years back, I went with him to the shoot down in S Calif.
My buddy had a 72 Challenger that is really pretty and was invited to this shoot.
Hot Rod had the cars there from the then current Fast and Furious film and another guy who built a group of Tanning slalons into mega bucks. He built a custom 67 Eleanor.
They widened the entire car by 1 foot to fit over the huge tires. Had a 427 Roush engine with a 5 speed. IRS rear axle. Bumper to bumper the car was beautiful, he told me the build cost him $250K. They ran it on the track and at the drags. I always liked this car but this one was off the charts beautiful. It got a full write up in Hot Rod and did not miss a beat at the track or at the drag strip. The guys that built the custom car were there also since it had just been completed to make sure all went well.
They had a better day than we did. Our Optima battery decided to choke on us and after fixing the battery, the clutch in the 72 Challenger could not handle the power and went up in smoke on the acceleration tests. New builds have issues that is why you take shake down rides in progressively long distances till you trust the job is ironed out.
Stuff happens.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:01 AM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

Got to have one of these just in case, even if you can’t act fast enough (or dare to risk injury) to use it. I also have 2 larger extinguishers in the garage.
Also, after I park the C2 in the garage, I usually go back and check it quickly for smoke or gas smell. I’ve had leaks at the sending unit so I’m paranoid.
It’s like driving, you need to be defensive.
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2018, 07:31 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,258 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Wow - why so harshly judgemental about somebody you don’t even know out of someone else’s post?
The condescension is never-ending. Ignore button is a god-send.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:03 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

If I knew the guy and had seen the issue first hand my feelings would be the same...
Better ?
Old 05-28-2018, 10:01 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

If I knew the guy and had seen the issue first hand my feelings would be the same...
Better ?
Well, at least you are consistent........
Old 05-28-2018, 10:23 AM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,008 Likes on 573 Posts

Well, at least you are consistent........
Lol

Last edited by phil2302; 05-28-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:50 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Nuf sed..
Just wondering - should that same evaluation apply to another Forum member and frquent poster here who a few years ago “wrote a check” for a restored SS396 Malibu, found out that its Holley carb had a problem, didn’t know how to remove the fuel bowls, and had to be schooled by another forum member on how to remove 4 simple bolts. He subsequently and shortly got tired of the car and sold it

Sounds pretty darn similar to me.

You could look it up.......

Get notified of new replies

To A good safety first reminder.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A good safety first reminder.