C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Radio repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 10:17 AM
fever1
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Radio repair

Hi all vette fans my 67 conv. radio works good on am but nothing on fm and I have adjusted the screw for reception and makes no difference who do you recommend to send it to for repairs I would like to keep the original radio in the car. Thanks
Old 05-31-2018, 10:30 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Before you send it off, slide the am/fm selector up and down vigorously a few times and see if that gets you anything. There are several contacts in that slide that switch contacts from am to fm and they can become coated over time. If that gets you some intermittent (or even correct) fm reception, you can use some contact cleaner spray on the slide switch. If you don't have experience or confidence in going into the radio, then perhaps repairing or upgrading the internals by a professional would be a better option.

PS, that trimmer switch you adjusted only affects AM reception.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 05-31-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:55 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Gut it and put a solid state Bluetooth board inside and never deal with radio problems again.....Gary Tayman out of Florida will do it and it'll pass judging......not the cheapest fix...but a stop gap repair won't last long...unless you restore the WHOLE radio those old capacitors will fail, piecemeal, over time...
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-31-2018 at 10:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
64SilverbluePhx (06-06-2019)
Old 05-31-2018, 01:35 PM
fever1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Gut it and put a solid state Bluetooth board inside and never deal with radio problems again.....Gary Tayman out of Florida will do it and it'll pass judging......not the cheapest fix...but a stop gap repair won't last long...unless you restore the WHOLE radio those old capacitors will fail, piecemeal, over time...
like your idea, can I buy the Bluetooth set-up myself and do the mods, Ive done some radio repairs in the past but nothing like that, if not how would I get in touch with him, Thanks
Old 05-31-2018, 01:38 PM
fever1
Instructor

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Before you send it off, slide the am/fm selector up and down vigorously a few times and see if that gets you anything. There are several contacts in that slide that switch contacts from am to fm and they can become coated over time. If that gets you some intermittent (or even correct) fm reception, you can use some contact cleaner spray on the slide switch. If you don't have experience or confidence in going into the radio, then perhaps repairing or upgrading the internals by a professional would be a better option.

PS, that trimmer switch you adjusted only affects AM reception.
okay thanks Ive tried all of that so may have to send it off, Im not afraid of going in side the radio, have been there partially already
Old 05-31-2018, 01:39 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Google Gary Tayman and Florida. If you can buy the Aurora board you could prob do the mod.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:02 PM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

Received 339 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by fever1
Hi all vette fans my 67 conv. radio works good on am but nothing on fm and I have adjusted the screw for reception and makes no difference who do you recommend to send it to for repairs I would like to keep the original radio in the car. Thanks
That trim screw is only for the AM band. Has no effect on FM. Now that you've fiddled with the screw, you probably need to reset it for the best AM signal. Tune to a weak station around 1400, and adjust screw for loudest volume. That's it, you're done (with AM tuning). Bill
Old 06-05-2018, 09:00 AM
fever1
Instructor

Re my FM problem is fixed, I pulled the top off of the radio and found the contacts you were talking about for the slider and the fm wires were loose and dirty I tightened the wires and cleaned the contacts and WOW it works thank guys for your help. A cheap fix. Now both AM and FM work fine.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:54 PM
Mr Fufu
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

Glad to hear you were able to fix your radio!

If you ever need an old DELCO radio rebuilt, I would recommend Rob Pacini of Precision Stereo, in Utica NY. 315-797-5219. Rob restored my AM-FM radio, enhanced the sound, and installed a mini-jack port to connect an iPod or MP3 player. Excellent service. Rob advertises in the NCRS Driveline. He restores your stock radio, doesn't gut it and replace the guts with a circuit board.

Rob's well regarded and his prices are fair. He'll be happy to talk with you about his service and share information.

PM me if you want more info.

Alex
Old 06-07-2018, 03:07 PM
fever1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr Fufu

If you ever need an old DELCO radio rebuilt, I would recommend Rob Pacini of Precision Stereo, in Utica NY. 315-797-5219. Rob restored my AM-FM radio, enhanced the sound, and installed a mini-jack port to connect an iPod or MP3 player. Excellent service. Rob advertises in the NCRS Driveline. He restores your stock radio, doesn't gut it and replace the guts with a circuit board.

Rob's well regarded and his prices are fair. He'll be happy to talk with you about his service and share information.

Alex
Thanks appreciate it
Old 06-07-2018, 03:15 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Re my FM problem is fixed, I pulled the top off of the radio and found the contacts you were talking about for the slider and the fm wires were loose and dirty I tightened the wires and cleaned the contacts and WOW it works thank guys for your help. A cheap fix. Now both AM and FM work fine.
Good deal, way to hang with it. I like it when original things still work like they should.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:59 AM
Midyrman
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Default Removal

From which side is the radio removed? Passenger?

Thx.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:35 PM
Bill Pilon
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Fufu

Alex
Totally agree with Alex, Rob has been doing my wonderbar radios for years, in fact received one back from him last week.

Rob is a great guy to deal with, totally honest and aboveboard. Had the pleasure of spending some time with him while I was up in NY at my Summer place

Bill.

Get notified of new replies

To Radio repair

Quick Reply: Radio repair