C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Mirror Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 08:49 AM
Gavin65
Drifting

Received 745 Likes on 490 Posts

I like having it there, and in my opinion it looks good as well.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteMikeB (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 09:00 AM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Originally Posted by MarkC
Here’s my 2 cents and I have a 66 convertible with a hardtop. I bought this car 6 years ago and the lack of a passenger side mirror was a concern. Most of my driving time is with the top down. You can adjust the Center mirror so it favors the right side of the car and still see behind you. This really helps. You can still just turn your head to the right which always works. I also try to stay in the right lane as much as possible. Try driving the car for awhile and see if you can get use to not having the right side mirror. It worked for me, I wouldn’t consider installing one now.

There is one thing "ALL OF YOU" have not considered. For safety/legal reasons your car would be considered unsafe on the road and liability would fall on you should a major accident happen on that side of the car causing a fatal accident. My Uncle" who is an Attorney at Law " said it would be like winning the lottery with the person who sues the Corvette owner with a accident on the passenger side of the Corvette car. He said you are driving at your own risk.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:23 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm in to Etype jags, interesting that it was common for these cars to have NO outside review mirrors in the home market, no side markers either. CLEAN, I like it!
Old 06-07-2018, 09:28 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by CorvetteMikeB
There is one thing "ALL OF YOU" have not considered. For safety/legal reasons your car would be considered unsafe on the road and liability would fall on you should a major accident happen on that side of the car causing a fatal accident. My Uncle" who is an Attorney at Law " said it would be like winning the lottery with the person who sues the Corvette owner with a accident on the passenger side of the Corvette car. He said you are driving at your own risk.
I am not an attorney and don't play one on TV either. But I question whether there is a legal obligation to modify a vehicle to keep pace with technological developments.

Using that logic, someone with a 1956 Corvette who accidentally backs over a child could be sued for not installing a back-up camera, since they are now standard in new vehicles. Somebody who rear-ends a '67 could sue the Vette driver because he did not install a third stop light in the middle of the car.

I don't doubt that some of the ambulance chasers who put up the big billboards would try that logic if it could be used. IMHO, it's total BS. "Unsafe on the road"? I never met your uncle and he may be a fine person, but it's statements like that that cause people to detest lawyers.
6T5RUSH (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 09:31 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Railroadman
I am not an attorney and don't play one on TV either. But I question whether there is a legal obligation to modify a vehicle to keep pace with technological developments.

Using that logic, someone with a 1956 Corvette who accidentally backs over a child could be sued for not installing a back-up camera, since they are now standard in new vehicles. Somebody who rear-ends a '67 could sue the Vette driver because he did not install a third stop light in the middle of the car.

I don't doubt that some of the ambulance chasers who put up the big billboards would try that logic if it could be used. IMHO, it's total BS. "Unsafe on the road"? I never met your uncle and he may be a fine person, but it's statements like that that cause people to detest lawyers.
It's BS, stick with that.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:01 AM
Wolf74
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't have one on my 65 vert and don't miss it. A coupe might be different but I don't have one on my 70 SS Chevelle coupe either and haven't missed it. However, if it makes you feel safer - it's your car - do what you need to do.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:37 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

If you can't drive a C2 without a RH mirror just sell the car.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:43 AM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Railroadman

My Uncle's firm already has tried a case with the missing passenger mirror with a loss of life involving an accident on the passenger side. It was not a Corvette, but a car from the 1960's. without a passenger mirror. The person who sued won the case. My Uncle said the settlement was very high and the 32 year old man never has to work another day in his life, including his wife.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:55 AM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 381 Likes on 267 Posts

Please contact your Uncle and get us the case #, I would love to research this.
WaikikiWayne (08-27-2022)
Old 06-07-2018, 12:03 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Or you could buy a 50's after market item like i use to better aid you vision

Old 06-07-2018, 12:10 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 67's
Please contact your Uncle and get us the case #, I would love to research this.
Are you kidding, he was very, very general with me about the specifics. Like a medical doctor, he is sworn to client confidently. Like a medical doctor he would lose his license and guess what? Another lawsuit. He just told me get a mirror on your car ASAP. So, I did.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:15 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Are you kidding, he was very, very general with me about the specifics. Like a medical doctor, he is sworn to client confidently. Like a medical doctor he would lose his license and guess what? Another lawsuit. He just told me get a mirror on your car ASAP. So, I did.
There are houndreds of thousands of old cars with out mirrors on the passenger side and some don’t even have on the drivers side. If it was a problem we as old car owners would know about it.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:34 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
There are houndreds of thousands of old cars with out mirrors on the passenger side and some don’t even have on the drivers side. If it was a problem we as old car owners would know about it.

Not a problem as long as you do not get into an accident on the passenger's side and my Uncle's Law Firm does not come after you.

A very "Small price for a passenger's side mirror" than risk the chance of losing your life's savings and retirement account, plus some more I was told.

Last edited by CorvetteMikeB; 06-07-2018 at 12:46 PM. Reason: speeling
Old 06-07-2018, 12:45 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Not a problem as long as you do not get into an accident on the passenger's side and my Uncle's Law Firm does not come after you.
If I run into someone then it’s my own dumb fault. But if someone runs into me then its their fault. Seems cut and dry if you ask me
Old 06-07-2018, 01:17 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

A very "Small price for a passenger's side mirror" than risk the chance of losing your life's savings and retirement account, plus some more I was told.
So if I kill someone with the RH side of my car I'm covered from losing my life savings because I had a mirror.

Well OK if you say so.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:41 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mr D.
So if I kill someone with the RH side of my car I'm covered from losing my life savings because I had a mirror.

Well OK if you say so.

It will be treated like any other accident. Your car is compliant. The usual issues will be investigated. Having a clean driving record makes all the difference in a court case my Uncle told me. " I will end this topic" You can decide what goes on your car
Old 06-07-2018, 02:32 PM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,595 Likes on 662 Posts

In the early 50's and 60's, it was not too common for someone to pass you on the rt. side, so the need for one was less.

Get notified of new replies

To Mirror Etiquette

Old 06-07-2018, 02:36 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 381 Likes on 267 Posts

The case number must be part of the public record of the court that presided over it.
WaikikiWayne (08-27-2022)
Old 06-07-2018, 02:44 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 67's
The case number must be part of the public record of the court that presided over it.

I wish I could help you. The case never made it to the courts. No criminal charges were ever filed. Settled out of court my uncle told me. Sorry, I was never told much of the details do to client confidentiality.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:02 PM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

1. It's your car. Modify it, if you want.

2. You should know though that this modification will lower the value of the car. Probably by only a few thousand dollars. But, it's your car.

Quick Reply: Mirror Etiquette