C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Cost of decent paint job

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 10:02 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,523 Likes on 2,784 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by MikeM
........and the beat goes on, on, on.....................

Has anyone of you that want to spend huge sums of money on paint ever wondered why Earl stayed in business so long?.
Because you can’t polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter?
The following 2 users liked this post by Factoid:
GUSTO14 (01-22-2019), mike coletta (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 10:57 AM
gjhinc
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert61
Did you have to bring that up? I'm fighting the urge to have this done when I finish my paint. It seems like a solution looking for a problem. But Chris' car sure looked great in pics and impressed a stranger enough to pop down $300k. I do drive my cars and when we go to a few shows I may put a 1,000-1,500 miles on so if it helps keep it clean and protects my $2,500 paint job I may have to look in to it!
You can do what I'm gonna do. Before I try it on one of my cars I'll give it a spin on the wife's car. If it turns out okay, I'll move on to the Vette. It is a DIY project. IMHO
Old 01-22-2019, 11:11 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Factoid

I've never heard this statement before, but I am going to steal it and use it. Priceless!! And, TRUE!!
Old 01-22-2019, 11:16 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default $6,000 to do rear from doors back

I backed into a pole. Middle of rear between bumpers. To repair and fix cracks and other repairs done earlier and bonding strips..& clear coat base coat, put back bumpers, lights etc. Was $6,000 in Maine.

Most of cost was labor. 20-30 hrs of block sanding to make lines sharp. Two other shops in Maine wanted $ 7,000 to $10,000. If I did front Add $6,000 to $8,000. Total car would have been close to $15,000. I do not throw money away....that is what it costs to have a good job done by others.

Paint was $2,000 Spies Heckler....

jack

Last edited by Jackfit; 01-22-2019 at 12:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jackfit:
Frankie the Fink (01-22-2019), ptjsk (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 12:03 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Yeah - but you’ll have a nasty mess on your hands...
Old 01-22-2019, 12:06 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

True, have you ever seen and Earl Sheib paint job up close?
Old 01-22-2019, 12:10 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

That reminds me of what I said in another thread about spending a lot of money on paint. Something about trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Someone else said you can try but you still have a sow's ear.

DPlotkin summed it up nicely here:

Better answer for the OP might have simply been "it depends on what you have and what you want for a result -

Old 01-22-2019, 12:16 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

True, have you ever seen and Earl Sheib paint job up close?

The statement was they were in business a long time. They must have met someone's expectations.

I think the term "polishing a turd" is correct in this case. Don't know about the glitter part.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:29 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jackfit
I backed into a pole. Middle of rear between bumpers. To repair and fix cracks and other repairs done earlier and bonding strips..& clear coat base coat, put back bumpers, lights etc. Was $6,000 in Maine.

Most of cost was labor. 20-30 hrs of block sanding to make lines sharp. ..that is what it costs to have a good job done by others.

Paint was $2,000 Spies Heckler....
jack
So the paint was $2,000. What was the charge to scuff and spray. The OP wanted to know what a paint job cost, not rebuilt a recent wreck with prior damage. Even the removing and replacing of trim parts should be broken out separate from a paint job.

Most here are adding in the cost of extensive (unnecessary) body prep) and remove/replace trim parts, collision damage or other wear and tear and claiming that is part of the cost of a paint job.

Break out your itemized estimates that you probably insisted on before any work was started or your itemized bills bills with each and every charge on it for an accurate figure of the cost of a paint job.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:55 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

That reminds me of what I said in another thread about spending a lot of money on paint. Something about trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Someone else said you can try but you still have a sow's ear.

DPlotkin summed it up nicely here:

Better answer for the OP might have simply been "it depends on what you have and what you want for a result -
Very true. Or you can put lipstick on a pig, but it’s still a pig.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:38 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

So the paint was $2,000. What was the charge to scuff and spray. The OP wanted to know what a paint job cost, not rebuilt a recent wreck with prior damage. Even the removing and replacing of trim parts should be broken out separate from a paint job.

Most here are adding in the cost of extensive (unnecessary) body prep) and remove/replace trim parts, collision damage or other wear and tear and claiming that is part of the cost of a paint job.

Break out your itemized estimates that you probably insisted on before any work was started or your itemized bills bills with each and every charge on it for an accurate figure of the cost of a paint job.

I only backed into the pole.....but it cracked the bonding strip..and cracked a few spots..I took off all the trim....lights etc. They did a great job....but as you know.....the painting is the least of the labor...the prep was done properly to insure that I would not have clear coat cracks....and other prior blemishes that all our cars have once you strip the paint and see 50 or more years or wear and tear...

Jack

Last edited by Jackfit; 01-22-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:07 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jackfit

...but it cracked the bonding strip..and cracked a few spots.

...but as you know.....the painting is the least of the labor...

the prep was done properly to insure that I would not have clear coat cracks....and other prior blemishes that all our cars have once you strip the paint and see 50 or more years or wear and tear...

Jack

Not all cars have clear coat. Not all cars have been wrecked and/or have wear and tear on the body.

That's why you need to back out all those costs separate from the paint to get the cost of a paint job..
Old 01-22-2019, 02:34 PM
Drothgeb
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Actually, Mythbusters tested this a few years back, and you definitely can polish a turd. They had a couple of turds that they polished to a nice glossy finish. I haven’t used the saying since.
The following 2 users liked this post by Drothgeb:
gjhinc (01-22-2019), tuxnharley (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 02:35 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

So basically Jacks cost for paint ONLY was $2000 for the back half of the car?

I suspect the front half half would be more than that, what with doors, hood, headlight buckets etc. Maybe $5000 total???
Old 01-22-2019, 03:09 PM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,589 Likes on 661 Posts

I can see that there are no body shop owners here involved with this discussion.
So I wish to state that no body shop can survive on selling labor only. This is a well known fact of any shop owner.
The only profit that the shop realizes is from the sale of parts.
Labor rate only pays for the overhead.
You cannot profit on paint jobs unless you obtain a proper labor rate to overcome the parts profit loss.
So, if there are any body shop owners here that want to dispute this fact, that they can live on paint jobs alone, please state so and tell me the secret.

I really doubt that all the "expert advice" that has been discussed here is from experts, but is little more than uninformed opinion.
The following users liked this post:
earl schieb (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 03:41 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger Walling
I can see that there are no body shop owners here involved with this discussion.
So I wish to state that no body shop can survive on selling labor only. This is a well known fact of any shop owner.
You cannot profit on paint jobs unless you obtain a proper labor rate to overcome the parts profit loss.
So, if there are any body shop owners here that want to dispute this fact, that they can live on paint jobs alone, please state so and tell me the secret.

I really doubt that all the "expert advice" that has been discussed here is from experts, but is little more than uninformed opinion.
https://media.giphy.com/media/12wYJwhnA5CYda/giphy.gif
The following 2 users liked this post by mike coletta:
Frankie the Fink (01-22-2019), GTOguy (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 04:22 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

So is that why paint is so expensive these days - $2000/gallon in some cases?

Isnt a paint only job mostly labor ?

If I am understanding your post correctly the profit on the job would have to come from the cost of the paint materials.

Get notified of new replies

To Cost of decent paint job

Old 01-22-2019, 04:41 PM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,589 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley

So is that why paint is so expensive these days - $2000/gallon in some cases?

Isnt a paint only job mostly labor ?

If I am understanding your post correctly the profit on the job would have to come from the cost of the paint materials.
No, that is not the point I was trying to make. Most body shop jobs include a lot of parts to repair a damaged car.
That is where the profit of a shop comes from.
In the case of a paint job, the rate must be high enough to make up for no parts profit.
The cost of the paint is marked up of course, but the shops cost of the paint is very high also, and the profit on the paint does not go far enough to give the whole job profit.
The following 2 users liked this post by Roger Walling:
2tired (01-22-2019), tuxnharley (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 05:01 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

No, that is not the point I was trying to make. Most body shop jobs include a lot of parts to repair a damaged car.

The question was, "how much is a decent paint job", not how much profit does a shop with too much overhead have? Not how much is collision repair.

If a shop has too much overhead and can't make a profit on paint jobs alone, looks to me like he should turn the work away and do something else instead of burdening the customer with his fixed, "too high" costs. .

Commercial businesses are not the only place to get a quality job, no mater what your standard is.

Just because an employee is paid retirement, SS, medical insurance, workman's comp and unemployment insurance is no guarantee he does better work that the guy that gets paid $15/hour per my previous post on the chopped, shortened and amazing Chevy coupe.

If you had a shop and had a basic charge for a paint job, would it be the same for both these vehicles? The paint cost is almost the same, the spray labor is almost the same. What is the difference? Not likely the paint or the labor to spray is much different.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:04 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mike (Naples)
I don't see why anyone would take offense to any of the comments. The OP's question is far too vague to answer, at least without an extensive list of qualifications. One cannot call a reputable body/paint shop and ask, "How much for a decent paint job?" without the shop taking a thorough look at the car and understanding the client's expectations. Some people think a single stage spray after taping off brightwork is a "decent" job. Others think decent means a multi-stage, sanded finish with matching jambs and no sign of taping. It's largely subjective. Obviously, the labor and resultant costs are dramatically different. And replicating a factory paint job is much closer to the latter in terms of cost, even if it cost only $35 back in the day. Also, just because one guy wants the latter doesn't make him a "showoff" any more than a $5k budget makes another guy a cheapskate. Some people have unlimited budgets. Others don't. Some see only flaws in their cars. Others enjoy the positives. So much is relative.
I don't think your post got much notice.
The following users liked this post:
gjhinc (01-22-2019)

Quick Reply: Cost of decent paint job