C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Maaco paint job

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 01:57 PM
Bowlerdude
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mike coletta

There is NO SUCH THING AS A DRIVER PAINT JOB. There are lower standards, poor quality, crummy materials, etc., but a paint job is a paint job. You'll not find a shop that will quote you a "driver paint job".
I'm sorry but this is complete bs, people get OEM "driver quality" jobs done on their Toyotas and Hondas every single day! No one that owns a 10 year old Camry is going to pay $15/20k to paint their car that isn't worth more than $5k.

I'm not going to impugn your painting ability or knowledge of painting custom cars but I challenge you to show me just one example of someone that paid $15/20k to have their 10 year old daily driver Camry painted..doesn't happen because these cars are done for much less and in fact are done to a "driver quality"!!! Geez, you can buy a new one for just a few thousand more than that. lol

And to suggest that people are just trying to get a custom $20k job done for much less is just a cop-out. In fact some people (maybe not many) prefer to have their vintage Corvettes look like they did originally not like a piece of over blown Linoleum that has become the norm.

YMMV

Last edited by Bowlerdude; 06-09-2018 at 02:10 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bowlerdude:
Aerovette (06-09-2018), GTOguy (06-09-2018), tuxnharley (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 02:04 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Too bad there isn't an emoticon showing a couple roundies sitting on big brown piles throwing poop at each other.

Doug
Roundies ?????

Naw - try this one instead.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:08 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Roundies ?????

Naw - try this one instead.
Didn't know what else to call those round emoticon dudes.

Doug
Old 06-09-2018, 02:12 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowlerdude
I'm sorry but this is complete bs, people get OEM "driver quality" jobs done on their Toyotas and Hondas every single day! No one that owns a 10 year old Camry is going to pay $15/20k to paint their car that isn't worth more than $5k.

I'm not going to impugn your painting ability or knowledge of painting custom cars but I challenge you to show me just one example of someone that paid $15/20k to have their daily driver Camry painted..doesn't happen because these cars are done for much less and in fact are done to a "driver quality"!!!

And to suggest that people are just trying to get a custom $20k job done for much less is just a cop-out. In fact some people (maybe not many) prefer to have their vintage Corvettes look like they did originally not like a piece of over blown Linoleum that has become the norm.

YMMV
I give up. Just go to Maaco.

I never said that you had to spend 20k to get your Camry painted (there's that number again). geesh! I don't really care how much the OP spends on his paint (or anyone else). If he's happy, then I'm happy. Just trying to help. BTW, I have NEVER charged 20K for paint, and I paint and finish the bottom of the car, engine bay, and the bottom of all of the attached pieces (decklids, hood, trunk) on the restomods. Recently did a repaint of on a 55 (forum member), with lacquer, and I don't even think that it was 5K. The facts ma'am, just the facts.

Last edited by mike coletta; 06-09-2018 at 02:13 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by mike coletta:
BigBlock 72 (09-17-2021), Chummy85623 (06-09-2018), LouieM (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 02:31 PM
Bowlerdude
Racer

I give up. Just go to Maaco.

I never said that you had to spend 20k to get your Camry painted (there's that number again). geesh! I don't really care how much the OP spends on his paint (or anyone else). If he's happy, then I'm happy. Just trying to help. BTW, I have NEVER charged 20K for paint, and I paint and finish the bottom of the car, engine bay, and the bottom of all of the attached pieces (decklids, hood, trunk) on the restomods. Recently did a repaint of on a 55 (forum member), with lacquer, and I don't even think that it was 5K. The facts ma'am, just the facts.
Mike you completely missed the point of my post.

You claimed there was no such thing as a "driver quality" paint job and to that I'm calling bs. It's done everyday on thousands of cars all across the country. And the $15/20k figure to paint a vintage Corvette that has been discussed is very real here in Ca. And that's a minimum!

It just seems to me that there is some gouging going on in the car painting business and that's my opinion based on what it cost to have cars other than Corvettes painted. And when I hear a painter say there's no such thing as a OEM/driver quality paint job it just reinforces that opinion.

BTW..my opinion is not a reflection on you personally or the work you do.

Last edited by Bowlerdude; 06-09-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:41 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

FWIW, prepping and painting the underside of the car, and the floorpan under where the carpet goes and behind the seats (C1), and firewall,and inner fenders, is more than a paint job.

Yes, it's really cool, and I woudn't mind having all that professionally done, but i am not going to pay for it, as i am not one to put mirrors under my trailer queen at car shows, as i don't trailer my cars. I consider doo rjams a must, under the hood, is optional unless its color change. Huge diff in price once you start doing everything.

Doug
Old 06-09-2018, 02:42 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

You claimed there was no such thing as a "driver quality" paint job and to that I'm calling bs. It's done everyday on thousands of cars all across the country. And the $15/20k figure to paint a vintage Corvette that has been discussed is very real here in Ca. And that's a minimum!

It just seems to me that there is some gouging going on in the car painting business and that's my opinion based on what it cost to have cars other than Corvettes painted. And when I hear a painter say there's no such thing as a OEM/driver quality paint job it just reinforces that opinion.

not everyone wants or needs a paint job that will win the riddler award and no one wants a orange peel and runny mess with checks all over it. there are plenty of jobs in between. just about anyone can paint a car and make it look good. its the guy who got it ready is the one we need to focus on. you can have the best painter in the world and if the body is less then perfect it will show. threads like this who focus on a shop and not one person is pointless. the macco shop in my town might produce a better job for the same price then the shop in your town. its all due to the guys who is doing the work. the shop is only a name. where I come from the best body shop guys are like gypsies and never stay in one shop too long
Old 06-09-2018, 02:56 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

FACT: Back in 1985 when I started my business I would strip and paint a Corvette all over for $1500.00 Materials included. Which means absolutely nothing because it was back then and NOT today.

This was to jump start my business and the jobs were show winners at the ISCA car show that would come to Charlotte in the winter time.

I remember that insurance companies in my area paid $22 per hour for paint and body work back in 1985. I can tell you...it is NOT that today. Heck they pay $30 per paint hour for materials today and I think that is getting ready to go up some more.

So...regardless of what someone did back then or now for whatever price means nothing to me.

People seem to not realize that what people charge for their time and what it costs to be in a business in a specific area where the cost of living are higher can effect those costs.

So if you guys out there that had work done a long time ago for 'X' amount of dollars want to compete on who got the best, longest lasting paint job for the least amount of money. Pool your money together that you saved and buy a trophy and give it to the one who won.

IF that is not the case. Then I guess those of you who found a good place to get your car painted at a cost that you feel was fair...or had work done that was in your opinion a fair cost for doing so. I am truly glad. And telling all of us about your experiences with that is great also in my opinion. I have no problem at all with that.

BUT I do have a problem when some people seem to not grasp the concept that a paint job at some shops can run as high as it has been mentioned. Because I do know a hamburger in New York City at a restaurant costs way more than a hamburger here in the Carolinas that comes from a diner on the side of the road that tastes just the same (if not better) and you would eat it up. My point is I also do not care where you get it done and for how much as long as you get your due satisfaction for what you are paying for.

So if my opinion being that of professional painter who actually does the work and just does not pay to have it done offends any of you. I cannot help that nor will I apologize for it.

DUB
The following 2 users liked this post by DUB:
dmaxx3500 (06-10-2018), ptjsk (06-10-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 02:58 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Dub that is well said.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:01 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

OK Bob, civil response. Thanks.

Here is what I meant. Customers come to me and say "I want a driver paint job". I don't know what that is. The cost is based on hours of labor, and cost of material (which I don't mark up). If you use cheaper materials, you can reduce the cost, and if you don't spend as much time, you can cut the cost. My stock answer is "there is no such thing as a driver job". If I spend 100 hours on a car, to strip, repair, prime, block, paint, cut, buff (no disassembly/assembly), and my labor is $50/hr, then there is $5000. Then the customer says, but I just want a driver, so......do i ruin my reputation, and spend 50 hours, and do a half azzed job??? I can't do it. I can buy cheaper materials, but the savings are really insignificant for the risks. Some of the paint out there is really crap, based on coverage, adhesion, shine, and durability.I'm not a chemist, but based on experience, Kirker/Maaco paint is just simply NOT as good as PPG or Sikkens, or Dupont. I'm certainly not implying that you can't paint your Corvette with Maaco paint, I'm just saying that, in MY experience (painting 50 plus years), that it's not as good in a lot of ways as the Brands. Paint your car with what you want, cause it's your car, but my 50 years of experience says it's not a very good idea. Should you have your 88 malibu painted there.....sure. I've NEVER charged someone 20K for a paint job, and I've done some good ones. Average cost today is around $5k for a respray, but I don't do those (reputation/risk). Add for prep, bodywork and assembly/disassembly as required. I try to explain this logic, and I get flamed. I'm NOT supporting 20K for a paint job. I agree, it's a rip. Again, the cost is based on two things 1. cost of materials, and 2. cost of labor. If a person is comfortable with those 2 things, then nothing else matters. I provide original invoices, and detailed time sheets with pictures to all of my customers. If they don't like what they see, then they can move the car. I hope that this explains my position on the term "driver" quality as pertains to Corvettes. I don't really care about the Camrys.
The following users liked this post:
BigBlock 72 (09-17-2021)
Old 06-09-2018, 03:13 PM
Bowlerdude
Racer

OK Bob, civil response. Thanks.

Here is what I meant. Customers come to me and say "I want a driver paint job". I don't know what that is. The cost is based on hours of labor, and cost of material (which I don't mark up). If you use cheaper materials, you can reduce the cost, and if you don't spend as much time, you can cut the cost. My stock answer is "there is no such thing as a driver job". If I spend 100 hours on a car, to strip, repair, prime, block, paint, cut, buff (no disassembly/assembly), and my labor is $50/hr, then there is $5000. Then the customer says, but I just want a driver, so......do i ruin my reputation, and spend 50 hours, and do a half azzed job??? I can't do it. I can buy cheaper materials, but the savings are really insignificant for the risks. Some of the paint out there is really crap, based on coverage, adhesion, shine, and durability.I'm not a chemist, but based on experience, Kirker/Maaco paint is just simply NOT as good as PPG or Sikkens, or Dupont. I'm certainly not implying that you can't paint your Corvette with Maaco paint, I'm just saying that, in MY experience (painting 50 plus years), that it's not as good in a lot of ways as the Brands. Paint your car with what you want, cause it's your car, but my 50 years of experience says it's not a very good idea. Should you have your 88 malibu painted there.....sure. I've NEVER charged someone 20K for a paint job, and I've done some good ones. Average cost today is around $5k for a respray, but I don't do those (reputation/risk). Add for prep, bodywork and assembly/disassembly as required. I try to explain this logic, and I get flamed. I'm NOT supporting 20K for a paint job. I agree, it's a rip. Again, the cost is based on two things 1. cost of materials, and 2. cost of labor. If a person is comfortable with those 2 things, then nothing else matters. I provide original invoices, and detailed time sheets with pictures to all of my customers. If they don't like what they see, then they can move the car. I hope that this explains my position on the term "driver" quality as pertains to Corvettes. I don't really care about the Camrys.
Thanks for your reply Mike, it's always good to get the perspective of someone that has the real experience. What you have to say about your reputation has plenty of merit. My main beef (if you want to call it that) is that there doesn't appear to be any options on how I can have my Corvette painted. For many shops here in SoCal it's a custom job or nothing and you're going to pay through the nose for it.

Again thanks for your reply.
tuxnharley (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 03:15 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

If you are building $150k restomods a 15/20k paint job makes sense.

Not all of us need or want that even though we could just write a check for it - without even having to transfer funds.

That is my point. Too bad some don’t grasp that simple concept.
Bowlerdude (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 03:25 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

If you are building $150k restomods a 15/20k paint job makes sense.

Not all of us need or want that even though we could just write a check for it - without even having to transfer funds.

That is my point. Too bad some don’t grasp that simple concept.
Glenn, I DO get that, but what I'm trying to explain (as is DUB), is that we're not the guys ripping anyone off. Understand the material cost, and the labor cost, and it "is what it is". You can either accept that number, or find another shop. It's really not any more mysterious than any other service. FWIW, I've turned down hundreds, maybe thousands of jobs over the years, because it's just not in my wheelhouse. "Can you paint my truck"?, "my wife dented the fender on the Honda, and we'd like you to fix it"., "I'm building a 32 chevy, and You're the guy".

Hell, I don't even fix my own "drivers". I certainly understand the frustration of everyone trying to get an "in between" job, because immediately following the comments above comes "Do you know someone who CAN paint it"?

Facts are that it's a specialty market. Facts are that there are rip offs in every trade. Facts are (because it's time and material), that a shop can make a lot more profit working insurance jobs, and not dealing with guys who have a passion for a hobby. It's getting hard to impossible to find tradesmen who are honest, hardworking, and timely. I DO get it, but I don't know how to fix it!!

Last edited by mike coletta; 06-09-2018 at 03:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mike coletta:
BigBlock 72 (09-17-2021), earl schieb (06-14-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 03:29 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Glenn, I DO get that, but what I'm trying to explain (as is DUB), is that we're not the guys ripping anyone off. Understand the material cost, and the labor cost, and it "is what it is". You can either accept that number, or find another shop. It's really not any more mysterious than any other service.
OK, Mike - I think maybe we finally understand each other. Peace.
Glenn
mike coletta (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 04:04 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

OK, Mike - I think maybe we finally understand each other. Peace.
Glenn

Amen. Thank you!!
Old 06-09-2018, 05:52 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Mike...for what it is worth I know where you were coming from right from the start and all of what you have written has merit and that goes for those posts with bold type in them. I understand COMPLETELY.

I too have turned away so much work due to 'just not feeling it' and knowing I was about getting ready to get into job with a 'problem customer' who can not make up their mind and always want more and more but do not want to pay for it. Like I tell them and I say it as bluntly as I am writing it.

"I am not here to save you money. I am here to preform a repair as it needs to be done and do it in manner that I can stand behind and warranty it. Because at the first sign of many problem..you will be back here wanting it repaired. And IF I give in to doing it in a manner that can allow a problem to arise. THEN it now ALL my fault. And you will forget all about the money savings because you still expect the repair to be done at the same professional level but at a cheaper price than at the price I quoted you". Once again TIME is money.

But I can not add any more due to your POSTS#110 and #113 hit so close to home I feel we are cut from the same cloth....for whatever that is worth....and I could not have written those two posts any better myself.

DUB
mike coletta (06-10-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 06:24 PM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 600 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Did I already say I was looking for a PAINTER in the Washington State area............
or someone who would work outa my home shop in Auburn, WA

Also I'm a BIG proponent of using SPI Epoxy and Clear Coat and
spending MY $$$$ elsewhere perhaps on Glasurit or PPG base color.

I have $$$$ waiting for any honest, competent painter

Last edited by CamarosRus; 06-09-2018 at 06:24 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Maaco paint job

Old 06-09-2018, 06:24 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

My wife gave me this sign to hang in my office many years ago.

Steve

Old 06-09-2018, 06:45 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Your sign means nothing as it doesn't say what a "fair" price is and it doesn't define quality or level of quality.

I think a better analogy is, a Chevy will run 2-300,000 miles as will a Cadillac. Both relatively same quality. Cadillac just more bling. Cadillac costs more initially and more to maintain. Not everyone wants a Cadillac.

And I've said in both threads mentioned here, many shops don't like to fool with Corvette owners. Many are a PIA and their work is priced accordingly. So, sometimes, it happens that you will be charged extra for being a PIA. Your location may be different.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:04 PM
JBL Specialty
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I am in the process right now of doing a 59. I estimated it around 13k. This is what I have spent on it so far. Plastic blasting 2450.00,gelcoat 200.00,featherfil 200.00 sandpaper 100.00 bed liner 200.00 epoxy primer 25.00. 6 quarts of Glasurit 22 line single stage red at 250.00 a quart my cost. which is 1500.00 1gal hardner 400.00 I gal reducer at 138.00. I just painted it the other day. I did 3 coats and I am sanding with 600 and will do 3 more coats after it sits for a few days. I charge 50.00 per hour. So far he has paid right a 13k and it will take 50 hours to cut and buff after the last 3 coats are sprayed .I have blocked this car so much I had to stop for a few days so my fingers could heal. Not getting rich but it does give me a sense of pleasure to do it. I have been doing this for almost 50 years. In the early 70s we charged 600.00 to strip and paint a vette and they called us thieves then.Nothing changes

Quick Reply: [C2] Maaco paint job