C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Suspicious

Old 06-09-2018, 06:38 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

YES..I am not an attorney.

But come on people. How many of your would LOVE to have some documentation that is unable to be disputed form a previous owner(s). Old service records or anything that make your classic a bit better than teh next guy.

The HYPE of paperwork and documentation is all been taken to a level of insanity by those who collect cars and that history on the car just makes it 'that much better'.

Writing something up I do not see as a big deal. Because IF IT IS THE TRUTH...then what has happened to the car 10 seconds after it left my possession would not effect me at all.

Now... it is not up to me. But it would only take one quick 5 minute phone call to my attorney and talk with him IF I was that concerned.

And I have been asked to inspect Corvettes and get pulled into court as an expert and give my findings and in most cases. Due to the car NOT being at the location of those being accused of wrong doing when I inspected it....what I find does not mean jack squat due to it left the possession of those being accused of switching expensive factory original parts for reproductions...or doing poor work.

DUB
Old 06-09-2018, 07:22 PM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Received 2,330 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
YES..I am not an attorney.

But come on people. How many of your would LOVE to have some documentation that is unable to be disputed form a previous owner(s). Old service records or anything that make your classic a bit better than teh next guy.

The HYPE of paperwork and documentation is all been taken to a level of insanity by those who collect cars and that history on the car just makes it 'that much better'.

Writing something up I do not see as a big deal. Because IF IT IS THE TRUTH...then what has happened to the car 10 seconds after it left my possession would not effect me at all.

Now... it is not up to me. But it would only take one quick 5 minute phone call to my attorney and talk with him IF I was that concerned.

And I have been asked to inspect Corvettes and get pulled into court as an expert and give my findings and in most cases. Due to the car NOT being at the location of those being accused of wrong doing when I inspected it....what I find does not mean jack squat due to it left the possession of those being accused of switching expensive factory original parts for reproductions...or doing poor work.

DUB

Paperwork, real and recently fabricated, has become the new holy grail for value enhancement, since part numbers can be fabricated.

The hidden danger with old maintenance and repair documents is identity theft. Remember the days of handwritten receipts with the full credit card number embossed next to your name and address, and sometimes your drivers license number for verification?

A good story, old photos, and spare parts, are reasonable offers to a new owner (if you can qualify the owner is reasonable). If the new owner behaves poorly, just tell them to put your contact info in the file for the next buyer.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:28 PM
MAD IN NC
Team Owner

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Crowd Plow For Now

I can see it now.....

your name, the documentation and a Nigerian Prince email forthcoming
Old 06-09-2018, 08:02 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB

If I were collecting it for resale, it is POSSIBLE depending on there being a way to verify it. For instance, a notarized signature form you that said this ball was from a game might not cut any ice with me. OTOH, if there was a certifying company that said so, absolutely.

Maybe but what is this "better" worth to me? I'm not getting any more money for it than the guy I sold it to gave me. Why would I stick my neck out further for you who bought it from the guy I sold it to?

Still doesn't answer the question why I would bother, does it?

Here is what my PAID FOR attorney said. "If you don't say something and I feel it is necessary, I can add it for you. If you say something, I cannot take it back. Shut up.". Sorry but attorneys work for money. I'm not spending a dime just to make you happy unless it is worth something for sticking my neck out.

If you are making something for the risk of being pulled into court, fair enough. If you risk for no reward, well.....
Old 06-09-2018, 08:06 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 63 340HP
If the new owner behaves poorly, just tell them to put your contact info in the file for the next buyer.
Why? Money changed hands. That is the next guy's issue. I had to answer to you AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE. My obligation is over. Unless I know you personally, WIIFM to get involved with your sale? You want to flip the car, go for it. If I am getting involved, I want a commission for my time and risk.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:33 PM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Originally Posted by aklim
Why? Money changed hands. That is the next guy's issue. I had to answer to you AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE. My obligation is over. Unless I know you personally, WIIFM to get involved with your sale? You want to flip the car, go for it. If I am getting involved, I want a commission for my time and risk.
The context is if the new owner requesting information is multiple owners after your custody.

Yes, your custody for the representation ended when you sold the car. You, as a far removed prior owner, have no legally binding responsibility to verify the current representation.

I Imagine if the vehicle were a rare and expensive purchase and something exceptional happened, like a documented original vehicle with an unbroken chain of custody and the same VIN was found, you might be open to litigation due to any suspect representation of originality prepared during your ownership for a sale that was finalized years before, that enhanced the value to subsequent owners?

It is important to be honest.

Disclaimers applied.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:05 AM
ZERRY 316
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
i'm by no means a legal-eagle, but when someone wants a "notarized" copy of anything, it's usually for legal purposes. i'd be leary (or is it leery - ???) and would err on the side of caution. notarizing it makes it a legal document, and maybe, somehow, makes you liable for any past work. if you're OK with your write-up, i'd add, "to the best of my knowledge," and some other disclaimer statement - maybe something like, "the car was sold as is, with no warranty expressed or implied," and I personally, would not have it notarized. just my 2-cents -
It's "leery" and "I'd"
Old 06-10-2018, 02:58 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 63 340HP
The context is if the new owner requesting information is multiple owners after your custody.

Yes, your custody for the representation ended when you sold the car. You, as a far removed prior owner, have no legally binding responsibility to verify the current representation.

I Imagine if the vehicle were a rare and expensive purchase and something exceptional happened, like a documented original vehicle with an unbroken chain of custody and the same VIN was found, you might be open to litigation due to any suspect representation of originality prepared during your ownership for a sale that was finalized years before, that enhanced the value to subsequent owners?

It is important to be honest.

Disclaimers applied.
I'd rather not lie about what I put on or take off just because I really don't want to remember which story I last told and make up a new story. OTOH, I'd als not want to risk getting dragged into something that maybe the so called current owner might have with the past owner, aka guy I sold it to.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:32 AM
DUB
Race Director

Obviously some of you do not consider that making a copy of original paperwork and blacking out ANY information that would make you worried about identify theft. Or taking razor blade to that information can cutting it out ad give the the original paperwork. Heck it is just a receipt showing an oil change or whatever.

And I get new credit cads issued every few months....change my passwords regularly....shred any mail that can come back to haunt me. So I protect myself.

So there are clearly different views on this but what it seems like is that some do not care to help this guy out due to it does not benefit them and their precious time or lifestyle...others are concerned about what could possibly happen and may not consider the steps that can be taken to remove that very warranted concern....and I guess I am the one who says why not help the guy out.

Reason being....I give out copies of old invoices to the new owners if they ask for them and can prove that they are new owner of that Corvette I previously worked on so they have a paper trail of service repairs.

And so none of you get your panties in a wad...There is nothing on that copy that can get back to the previous owner. It just shows what was done when it was done and how much it cost. And YES...I spent some of my time free of charge to help someone one out. Sometimes it is good to PAY IT FORWARD. And in all of the instances I have done this. It has NEVER caused me any problems.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
6T5RUSH (06-11-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 12:03 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Pretty wide range of responses here - Wow!

I understand that some people are OBSESSED with knowing the complete history of a car. As the owner of a 1-family car, I attract these types.

He may be harmless.. but you really need to decide for yourself. I agree with others that are saying all the notary does is verify that you showed valid ID to prove you are you signing the doc. Nothing more.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:34 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Tell him to write his own story.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:59 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Bingo.

If in fact this is a legal issue then an affidavit of some sort could actually be a substitute for testimony in a deposition or an actual trial.
Don’t do it. You could get called to testify.
You gave him the history, that’s generous enough.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:58 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DUB
So there are clearly different views on this but what it seems like is that some do not care to help this guy out due to it does not benefit them and their precious time or lifestyle...others are concerned about what could possibly happen and may not consider the steps that can be taken to remove that very warranted concern....and I guess I am the one who says why not help the guy out.

Reason being....I give out copies of old invoices to the new owners if they ask for them and can prove that they are new owner of that Corvette I previously worked on so they have a paper trail of service repairs.

And so none of you get your panties in a wad...There is nothing on that copy that can get back to the previous owner. It just shows what was done when it was done and how much it cost. And YES...I spent some of my time free of charge to help someone one out. Sometimes it is good to PAY IT FORWARD. And in all of the instances I have done this. It has NEVER caused me any problems.

DUB
He paid it forward by telling the buyer what was done. Now some stranger calls up claiming to be the next buyer and wants information. After giving it to him, he asks for a written statement with a notary involved. If the OP was someone famous, it might make sense. Otherwise, it does sound kinda fishy. I'm not saying that he should not tell him anything IN SPITE OF THE FACT HE HAS NO WAY TO KNOW WHO IS ON THE OTHER END OF THE LINE AND WITH WHAT INTENTIONS. I am saying that sticking something like that in writing and getting it notarized for someone on the phone is asking for trouble.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:59 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SDVette
Pretty wide range of responses here - Wow!

I understand that some people are OBSESSED with knowing the complete history of a car. As the owner of a 1-family car, I attract these types.

He may be harmless.. but you really need to decide for yourself. I agree with others that are saying all the notary does is verify that you showed valid ID to prove you are you signing the doc. Nothing more.
Your obsession is one thing. Asking a stranger to go that far off the beaten track in this day and age is another.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:02 AM
DUB
Race Director

OH my GOD...well it is clear...like I wrote. There are some people who do not want to do more than what was communicated over the phone..while others see no problem in it.

Just for fun lets say that there is a legal implication to all of this due to someone is getting screwed and needs HELP. The statement does nothing but provide information about the the car at the point of sale. It has nothing to do with the previous owner. Because IF the person now selling it has photos of it at their house...means nothing due to the photos where not taken at the time of the sale when it was still in the possession of the original owner who is asking for advice.

SO...those of you who want to do as little as possible. Hopefully one day you do not need the help from someone and they do not give it to you.

And...it can all be innocent and paranoia does not need to come into effect.

Clearly...if it is the TRUTH on what is written and notarized...what is the problem. So if the car was blue and now it is RED, How can that effect the original owner when he sold a BLUE car. Tell me that.

Clearly...we disagree. Clearly some here are pessimists. Thinking the worst. I am glad that I do not need any of you guys help who want to get bait and runaway. I am all for protecting my own personal interests...but sometimes....helping others is good.

DUB
Old 06-11-2018, 11:18 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Yes, absolutely help the new second after you owner out by giving him any information you have, if you are so inclined. There is no obligation to do so, it it would be a nice gesture.

However, that is not the primary question raised by the OP. The point is why the new buyer wants it notarized. Who knows? Maybe he’s just a flipper trying to increase the value of the sale.

To me, being a nice guy and helping someone does not obligate one to do everything they ask nor in exactly the way they want it. It certainly doesn’t obligate the OP to have it notarized - and he’s not a bad guy if he doesn’t do so.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:31 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 258 Likes on 206 Posts

you likely would have no problem with any good faith statement. But, there are many scenarios where you might be liable for an issue that follows the car.. bad title, bad history, inferior repair, etc....
there is a reason for privacy laws and one of them is to stop backward liability from choking the courts. But if you are giving up your privacy by making statements, that is your risk.

and consider the lawyers you would have to pay to make it all go away.

in this litigation crazy society, silence is best..

Get notified of new replies

To Suspicious

Old 06-11-2018, 04:39 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Some guys here saying to go ahead....no problem...trust anyone...what can it hurt? Those are the very ones who'll cry the hardest if they got scammed or ran into a legal matter. We all know the type.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:59 PM
karkrafter
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 152 Posts

Hell, I'd provide the notarized statement,

being 'notarized' simple means that the person who signed the statement was the actual person who's signature is listed. In no way does being notarize make claim to the infallibility of any statement.

I guess the writer could add a couple lines of clarification such as 'to the best of my recollection' or 'as told to me'

and I'd keep a true copy for myself so no one could easily alter my words, Perhaps hand written would be best....

Geez going out of your way to another Corvette brother should be standard behavior.
The following users liked this post:
DUB (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 05:03 PM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Tell him to write his own story.
Funny, but true.

I bought a used dual-sport motorcycle to go trail riding with my kids. When I bought it the seller said the low miles were due to the previous owners racing the bike and he just didn't ride much (under 2500 miles in ten years). I didn't think much of his comment. The bike looked dirty but was otherwise in great condition with most of the recommended aftermarket modifications installed for reliability and comfort. When I was doing the full lubricant and grease maintenance on the bike I found a shop's stickers on the suspension and ink with a person's name on the shock. I checked with the suspension shop, who pulled the file and told me where to find the person names in ink, at a local Honda Dealership. The guy was the Sales Manager, named Greg. He related that the original owner was a 67 year old man from Texas who purchased the bike and had it modified to ride the Sportsman class in the Baja 500 as a bucket list accomplishment. He did the race and finished with the help of Greg as a co-rider, and Greg' teenage son as pit & chase crew. When the race was over the man left the bike at the dealership and returned to Texas. Two years later Greg got tired of pushing the bike in and out of the shop and his son had the idea to race the bike again. Greg called the man in Texas, and the man named a dirt cheap price to sell the bike to Greg's son. Deal done, and Greg and his son raced the bike again in the Baja 500 Sportsman class, and finished. Most of the race prep and race miles were ridden without the factory speedometer, and Greg guessed it had maybe an additional 2500 miles on the bike. Greg eventually got tired of the bike taking up shop space, and his son took up the challenge of returning the bike to full street legal trim, with the signals, quiet exhaust, and speedometer console, and a full tune up with valve & jetting adjustments, before selling it to the guy I purchased it from. It is a four owner bike with an odometer that is missing about 2500 miles of hard use. I found photos of the bike racing in the Baja 500 at the Trackside Photos site (and photos of my rides in a buggy a decade earlier). I got what information I needed to explain the modifications, and the apparent de-mod's to make it street legal, along with an idea of the wear and condition. I later rode the bike down to let Greg see it, and he confirmed it was the bike with surprise it had not been trashed. He took a few photos of the bike on his cell phone for his son. When I asked if he had any documentation, Greg said, "write your own story."

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspicious