C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] bad temp gauge or sending unit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 12:45 AM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by popbluff
do they make two different sending units one for the temp gauge and one for the cars with just a temp light does it make a difference on the way your gauge reads if you have the wrong one, and how can you tell the difference between the two

Yes, they are completely different. Hook up an ohmmeter to the connector terminal and to the base of the sender. If you get no reading, it is for an idiot light. Just to verify, leave the ohmmeter connected and put a small torch to the base of the sender. Once it gets hot enough you should see continuity on the ohmmeter.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:17 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Originally Posted by krthorp
My 1966 temp gauge does not register any temp. The needle lies way below the 100 degree mark but moves to the 100 degree mark when the ignition is turned on. The needle does not move from the 100 degree mark when the engine is running. Is there any easy way to determine if the problem is with the gauge or the sending unit. I am a non electrical guy so I need some information I can understand. Thanks for any help.

You know the old saying...." When in doubt, replace them both" or something like that.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:36 AM
Charlemagne65
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My gauge is doing just the OPPOSITE! When I ground the sensor wire, (with the key on) the gauge pegs to the left (cold) side! So what does that mean? Also, with the engine cold, the sensor reads 715 ohms, which I realize is not the 600 people talk about. But does it mean the sensor is bad? I may have two problems going on here. I was encouraged that the gauge was moving, even if it was in the wrong direction? Could the wires be reversed in polarity on the gauge. I've had several electrical issues since the restoration. HELP!

Quick Reply: [C2] bad temp gauge or sending unit?