C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

So, you are retired. What did you do today with your C1 or C2 ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 10:44 AM
Micksnip
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Crap!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Something similar happened to a friend and it got ugly quick; I hope it doesn't in your case...
Maybe your plan is covered by the Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation ( a Federal quasi-government entity )...worth looking into..
Man, i am so sorry for you, friend.After working 27 years @55 hours/week as a Mental Health Supervisory Therapist. No union protection, as you are mgt., so pay for 40/week/salary. But the staff dedication was gr8, and God has given me a heart to help hurting people, so despite working for 2 mean people, and sustaining a bad back😖 and neck injury on an ice-covered lot the day govt. Was closed, but was ordered in, though not Essential Services, and fell. Drat. A blown disc and surgery and fusion and had to wait 3 yrs (work comp) for approval! I could barely shift with the pain (04 mustang cobra svt).
Said ALL that🤓 at all to make the point that we earned our pension!! Can i get an Amen? Some accompanied lasting ecfects others suffered were far far worse! Costing maŕriages, alienating kids, being disabled from injuries, constant pain, permanent grouchiness, even lasting self-esteem scars which diminich felt post-retirement pleasure. We EARNED that pension!!! I get 50%, and SS
to hear your pension potential is in jeapordy grieves me, and i fleshed-it out with an example of my journey, and if this does help us as the Corvette Community to empathize with our friend, gr8! I think we as humans that care may help him out, but after feeling sad and angry for him, im struck with a feeling of great humility and gratitude. Cuz lets face it-our cars are an "extra". To buy and fix, upgrade, rebuild, insure, etc. And psychic energy. So, to have our cars/retirement/pension/peace/time/spouse approval/a few $/no addictions other than Vette/your health/a plan for life/and Vette...then God bless you! Seems like he already has!
But, my 61 former drag car has been so good to lift my spirits thru 2 surgeries, dads death, stress of retirement, loneliness. Whats the ad say? "You meet the nicest people (on a honda-delete)in a vintage Vette."
So i thanked God once again for these cool gifts we get to have, and as a NOOB of 1 day, thanks much for advice on elect, carb, b.r., mallory so far!
Old 10-03-2018, 11:01 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Well, yesterday I took off the valve covers and bead blasted and sprayed with Aluma Blast. It'll be something else today and tomorrow.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:32 AM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Those look great!
The following users liked this post:
65GGvert (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 01:48 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by rtruman
Where did you get these need one to go up inside dash and tighten hoses on heater core .
This would save dropping unit , Thanks
Harbor Freight should have the three pack exactly as pictured.
The following users liked this post:
capevettes (10-04-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 02:09 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Harbor Freight should have the three pack exactly as pictured.

Had a leak that took me time ,Trail & Error to find ,Upper hose inside dash was dripping on second hose inside truck .
So it looked like the problem was there.
After replacing heater control valve and re connecting clamps twice and special ordering parts ,still leaked
Saw it dripping again took mirror and saw leak way up on top of unit ,could not see clamps but by feel and a special driver I made .
If I had that took I could of done it with my thumbs .
took me 2 hours to get two turns to tighten ,No room to work took long time just to lay there on floor to get hand and arm behind glove box
I did get it ,it was new unit. and they hooked up heater hose connections wrong to engine .
Didn't think it made a difference but you have to run them correctly to water pump and intake Nightmare project Phew
I would of had to drop it out of dash if I couldn't do it. Thanks for the info will buy them

Last edited by rtruman; 10-03-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:34 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Worst part of the job by far IMO....I did it with the dash OUT too.... BTW - you do NOT have to cut the shifter console extensions (I hope you didn't) like the instructions tell you to. It makes things a little tighter but it will all still fit together...

You'll want one of these little 'flizs' you can use with your fingertips to get that last console Philip's head screw in the shifter console extension way up front...along with a strong flashlight !
right now I am not planning on using the stock console or the extensions in the car. I have them, but my plans at this point don’t call for them....thanks for the suggestion, looks like something to have in the tool box anyways!
Old 10-04-2018, 07:58 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Recuperating from 7 day Caribbean cruise. Will start soaking 63s rear suspension in PB-Blaster tomorrow to prep for trailing arm overhaul.
I think if you made a list you have done a complete frame on complete resto inside and outside of that corvette .
.All I did was a repaint and engine rebuild.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:08 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by rtruman
I think if you made a list you have done a complete frame on complete resto inside and outside of that corvette .
.All I did was a repaint and engine rebuild.
Pretty much - I wind up doing that on all my classics after I've had 'em for years....because I drive them - a lot.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:39 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Pretty much - I wind up doing that on all my classics after I've had 'em for years....because I drive them - a lot.
First 63 put 38,000 in 17 years 10,000 on second power guild corvette .
Drove hard and fixed anything not right.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:32 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

I drove my 67 out for coffee this morning, just after the first fall rain shower went through. With the top down and the heater on it was a great experience - the scent of fresh clean damp air!
This has always been a routine for me. Before I retired it was at least once a week usually on a weekend day. Since retirement it is at least 3 times a week, because I drive my car - a lot- and have since I bought it in 1971!

Strangely though I have never developed a compulsion to go through every system on the car or to become the internet "expert" on all things C2 . I do weekly checks , routine maintenance, and fix things when they need fixing. I guess that is what comes with being a long term owner and knowing the car’s entire history.

Last edited by tuxnharley; 10-04-2018 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-04-2018, 12:59 PM
kolsen911
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 136 Posts

Still a few sunny days left here in Oregon. With the top down, I threw my clubs in the pax seat and went out to play a little golf with my friend. Then went over to the Legion to have some lunch and Walmart to replace my broken watch band. When I got home my new leaner jets for the Carter AFB's showed up in the mail so I installed them. I so enjoy this old Vette. Rumbling around town with the top down listening to that big Hemi is great. Totally different than my little classic Mini Cooper or the hotrod 911.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:15 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kolsen911
Still a few sunny days left here in Oregon. With the top down, I threw my clubs in the pax seat and went out to play a little golf with my friend. Then went over to the Legion to have some lunch and Walmart to replace my broken watch band. When I got home my new leaner jets for the Carter AFB's showed up in the mail so I installed them. I so enjoy this old Vette. Rumbling around town with the top down listening to that big Hemi is great. Totally different than my little classic Mini Cooper or the hotrod 911.

I love those wheels! Are they Minilites, look alikes, or ????
Old 10-04-2018, 01:40 PM
kolsen911
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 136 Posts

The wheels on the Vette are Team III - LT III, 17x 8 wheels. Not sure what brand are on the Mini, 13x6. On the Porsche they are Australian Superlites, 15x7. I obviously like 8 spoke wheels!
Old 10-04-2018, 05:11 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
I drove my 67 out for coffee this morning, just after the first fall rain shower went through. With the top down and the heater on it was a great experience - the scent of fresh clean damp air!
This has always been a routine for me. Before I retired it was at least once a week usually on a weekend day. Since retirement it is at least 3 times a week, because I drive my car - a lot- and have since I bought it in 1971!

Strangely though I have never developed a compulsion to go through every system on the car or to become the internet "expert" on all things C2 . I do weekly checks , routine maintenance, and fix things when they need fixing. I guess that is what comes with being a long term owner and knowing the car’s entire history.
I took the 60 for a nice 100 mile cruise last week just to take a break from cutting & buffing. It was a nice 80° fall day. Having owned it for 44+ years, I know I've put more miles on it than some that are constantly bragging how much they drive theirs.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:37 PM
dcamick
Tether Man
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,039 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by MikeM
Took a ride in my hot rod bass boat. Haven't touched either Corvette in months.

You need "the leash" on the bad boy bass boat motor........JK!
Old 10-04-2018, 05:44 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1snake
I took the 60 for a nice 100 mile cruise last week just to take a break from cutting & buffing. It was a nice 80° fall day. Having owned it for 44+ years, I know I've put more miles on it than some that are constantly bragging how much they drive theirs.

I think the true definition of someone who drives their C2 “a lot” would be Jackfit. Anyone else is just a poser by comparison! I know I certainly don’t come anywhere close to his adventures!
Old 10-04-2018, 06:07 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley

I think the true definition of someone who drives their C2 “a lot” would be Jackfit. Anyone else is just a poser by comparison! I know I certainly don’t come anywhere close to his adventures!
Compared to Jack, everyone has a garage queen. However, a C-2 is a lot more comfortable than a C-1. Back in the late 70's, I drove my 60 to my sisters house in Ca on 3 different occasions. It's 2,200 miles round trip but I was a lot younger then with a much better back. Today, 100 miles is about my limit driving it.

Get notified of new replies

To So, you are retired. What did you do today with your C1 or C2 ?

Old 10-04-2018, 06:58 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,524 Likes on 2,784 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Installed my new steering wheel and spent some time troubleshooting why the 10 amp tail light fuse blows every time I turn on the tail lights on the 1964. Turned out the PO pushed an 1157 bulb into the left inner tail light, jamming the tail light pin into the housing grounding it out. They then installed a 20 amp fuse and damaged the original headlight switch. People! The fuses are there for a reason! Fixed the socket and the new headlight switch will be here in the morning.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:57 AM
markdonc
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I spent the entire day detailing the 66. I wonder if it looks better at 53 years old than it did at 3 or 13 ?
Old 10-08-2018, 06:17 PM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Nothing, spent the last four days hunting and fishing in Michigan. Cant wait to take her out!

Quick Reply: So, you are retired. What did you do today with your C1 or C2 ?