C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

factory air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 12:13 PM
13joneje
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default factory air conditioning

I have a 64 coupe that has factory air. im currently swapping an ls3 crate engine into the car with new compressor and drive accessories. can i hook the original AC system up or do i have to make a switch to vintage air type set up?
Old 07-17-2018, 12:24 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,946 Likes on 4,785 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

There is no reason why you can’t reuse everything if you wont have any clearance problems
The following users liked this post:
13joneje (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 12:41 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Originally Posted by 13joneje
I have a 64 coupe that has factory air. im currently swapping an ls3 crate engine into the car with new compressor and drive accessories. can i hook the original AC system up or do i have to make a switch to vintage air type set up?

You have a choice to keep the original A/C or purchase the turn dial electronic computer controlled vintage air A/C and depart with the vacuum and pulley cable system.
13joneje (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 01:36 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by CorvetteMikeB
You have a choice to keep the original A/C or purchase the turn dial electronic computer controlled vintage air A/C and depart with the vacuum and pulley cable system.
a correctly restored vacumn and cables system will out live you the electronics won’t and your be lucky to find a replacement when it fails.
13joneje (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 02:18 PM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man

a correctly restored vacumn and cables system will out live you the electronics won’t and your be lucky to find a replacement when it fails.
Vintage Air has been around for quite some time so getting replacement parts would probably be just as easy as finding replacement parts for the original system if not easier. Plus I think the Vintage Air system works much better than the original, JMO.

Last edited by biggd; 07-17-2018 at 02:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by biggd:
CorvetteMikeB (07-17-2018), USMC 0802 (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 02:25 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by biggd
Vintage Air has been around for quite some time so getting replacement parts would probably be just as easy as finding replacement parts for the original system if not easier.
until they come out with something new and your old system is now obsolete with no replacment parts.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:31 PM
biggd
Melting Slicks

until they come out with something new and your old system is now obsolete with no replacment parts.
We all know how old school you are. In todays world you either keep up with technology or get out of the way because it happens with or without you, like it or not. You're going to upgrade the car with an LS3 motor and you're going to put in the old AC system?

Last edited by biggd; 07-17-2018 at 02:34 PM.
CorvetteMikeB (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 02:35 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

We all know how old school you are. In todays world you either keep up with technology or get out of the way because it happens with or without you, like it or not.
so your saying the thousands of cars made with the old school way doesn’t work?
Old 07-17-2018, 04:48 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

We all know how old school you are. In todays world you either keep up with technology or get out of the way because it happens with or without you, like it or not. You're going to upgrade the car with an LS3 motor and you're going to put in the old AC system?

When you purchase the NEW MODERN ELECTRONIC COMPUTER CONTROLLED Vintage Air A/C system, the installation instructions comes with "all the part numbers" to re-order if a part needs to be replaced.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:18 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

When you purchase the NEW MODERN ELECTRONIC COMPUTER CONTROLLED Vintage Air A/C system, the installation instructions comes with "all the part numbers" to re-order if a part needs to be replaced.

in ten to twenty years come back and talk talk to me about it
Old 07-17-2018, 05:28 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

In ten to 20 years internal combustion engines will all be outlawed, so don't worry about AC system parts, you won't need them anyway. Do whatever makes sense for today.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:32 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

in ten to twenty years come back and talk talk to me about it

""I know you always need to get in the last word on any topic""" But in twenty years, I will probably need to replace the Vintage Air A/C System with their new updated better series model. " As they say"

" The Progress of Time stops for no one"
Old 07-17-2018, 05:42 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

""I know you always need to get in the last word on any topic""" But in twenty years, I will probably need to replace the Vintage Air A/C System with their new updated better series model. " As they say"

" The Progress of Time stops for no one"
And I thought I ws the only one to notice that.
The following 2 users liked this post by 68hemi:
biggd (07-17-2018), CorvetteMikeB (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 07:18 PM
biggd
Melting Slicks

I 'm all for people trying to preserve old Corvettes but not all of them are worth preserving. Nowhere Man wants everyone to keep their Corvette original but no matter how many times he preaches that it's just not going to happen. Saving every old Corvette from modification is just not particle in many cases. And the new Corvette enthusiast is leaning more toward comfort features that they grew up with.
My 30 year old son has a 2004 Z06 which I think is a terrific car. I drive his car quite often when I feel like driving in comfort but he feels even that car is "old School" compared to the newer models. It's 15 year old technology but I think the car is awesome!

Last edited by biggd; 07-17-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:33 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I don’t think every car is worth going back original and I have no problem people modifying them to THERE liking. What I am sick of is people that think every thing GM desiged 60 years ago is worthless today. The modifiers need to realize old tech can still work just as good as new stuff. You just have to know what your doing. There are countless cars and trucks on the road today with ice cold Ac that there systems where designed decades ago. So please stop attacking me for stuff like this. Respect the old tech. I like everyone else use new tech. But I enjoy using old stuff as well. Hence why I love mid years and my Chevelle.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:51 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

I 'm all for people trying to preserve old Corvettes but not all of them are worth preserving. Nowhere Man wants everyone to keep their Corvette original but no matter how many times he preaches that it's just not going to happen. Saving every old Corvette from modification is just not particle in many cases. And the new Corvette enthusiast is leaning more toward comfort features that they grew up with.
My 30 year old son has a 2004 Z06 which I think is a terrific car. I drive his car quite often when I feel like driving in comfort but he feels even that car is "old School" compared to the newer models. It's 15 year old technology but I think the car is awesome!

"Saving every old Corvette from modification is just not particle in many cases. And the new Corvette enthusiast is leaning more toward comfort features that they grew up with."

This statement that you said is why Resto-Mods are" Growing In Numbers"and their "Growing Popularity" with the classic car enthusiast.

biggd (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 09:03 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

"Saving every old Corvette from modification is just not particle in many cases. And the new Corvette enthusiast is leaning more toward comfort features that they grew up with."

This statement that you said is why Resto-Mods are" Growing In Numbers"and their "Growing Popularity" with the classic car enthusiast.
that statement is only true in some areas Mostly in the higher rent areas. Where I live you will never see a true resto mod. Your see a few cars and trucks with LS based engines. But that’s it

Get notified of new replies

To factory air conditioning

Old 07-17-2018, 09:13 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

that statement is only true in some areas Mostly in the higher rent areas. Where I live you will never see a true resto mod. Your see a few cars and trucks with LS based engines. But that’s it

Resto-Mods is just a generic term for modern upgrades. You do not need an LS engine with 17" chrome wheels to be a Resto-Mod. The spectrum of what makes a Resto-Mod is wide and variable.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:17 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Resto-Mods is just a generic term for modern upgrades. You do not need an LS engine with 17" chrome wheels to be a Resto-Mod. The spectrum of what makes a Resto-Mod is wide and variable.
call it what you will but in my area it’s a old heap of a car with a junk yard 5.3 from a suv with some lip stick on the ol pig. There are zero after market frame cars with custom one off touches. Or nothing like you see at auctions that fetch triple digits
Old 07-17-2018, 09:21 PM
biggd
Melting Slicks

I agree! Even though my Corvette is not a complete Resto-Mod, just modernized, my son has told me that when he gets it he will do a complete modern Resto-Mod. At least I know he has the passion to keep it in the family.

Quick Reply: factory air conditioning