C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

AC putting a load on my engine temp

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 11:21 AM
William Buckley
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 48 Posts
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year Finalist
Default AC putting a load on my engine temp

On my '66 coupe, 327/300, with auto tranny, power brakes, power steering, when I turn the AC on, I get an increase in motor temperature to the 210 range in hot weather. New fan clutch with no leaks around the fan shroud. Are you people seeing the same thing with your AC cars? It seems that the AC compressor puts an abnormal load on the motor in stop and go traffic. Not so much on the highway. Thanks for your responses.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:33 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by William Buckley
On my '66 coupe, 327/300, with auto tranny, power brakes, power steering, when I turn the AC on, I get an increase in motor temperature to the 210 range in hot weather. New fan clutch with no leaks around the fan shroud. Are you people seeing the same thing with your AC cars? It seems that the AC compressor puts an abnormal load on the motor in stop and go traffic. Not so much on the highway. Thanks for your responses.
Normal for cars of that vintage. You must be too young to remember the amount of cars pulled to the side of the road with steam coming from under their hoods during traffic jams in hot weather.

There are three reasons why that no longer happens:

1. Modern radiators have more excess cooling capacity than did vintage radiators.
2. Better airflow through those radiators because of electric fans using better/tighter shrouding.
3. More heat rejection capacity of modern condensers enable use of less powerful compressors thereby eliminating excessive pulldown of engine speed.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 06-16-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:58 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Maybe a DeWitts radiator would help!
Old 06-16-2018, 12:20 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

I have had new cars in the last 20 years that exhibited coolant temperature increases while sitting in stop and go traffic in the hot sun in the humid south with all accessories running, including AC on full blast, so it's not just older cars.

First, I would validate the temperature gage against actuals to ensure you're seeing a real indication.

Second, I would search and find the JohnZ article about cooling systems - it's great and a very useful guide on making sure that these systems are working correctly.

Third, I would consider convection heat transfer where Q" = mc (Th-Tc), which states that as the temperature (Th) increases, the amount of heat rejected (transferred by the cooling system to the air) increases. So, in a heat balance, the hotter it gets, the more heat it's rejecting - in short this may be entirely normal.

Lastly, I would keep a sharp eye on it, until I confirmed it was okay (particularly if I had any aluminum engine parts).
Old 06-16-2018, 12:24 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

BeatinTheHeatRestorerArticle.pdf

Tried to attach the JohnZ "Beating the Heat" article.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:38 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
I have had new cars in the last 20 years that exhibited coolant temperature increases while sitting in stop and go traffic in the hot sun in the humid south with all accessories running, including AC on full blast, so it's not just older cars.

First, I would validate the temperature gage against actuals to ensure you're seeing a real indication.

Second, I would search and find the JohnZ article about cooling systems - it's great and a very useful guide on making sure that these systems are working correctly.

Third, I would consider convection heat transfer where Q" = mc (Th-Tc), which states that as the temperature (Th) increases, the amount of heat rejected (transferred by the cooling system to the air) increases. So, in a heat balance, the hotter it gets, the more heat it's rejecting - in short this may be entirely normal.

Lastly, I would keep a sharp eye on it, until I confirmed it was okay (particularly if I had any aluminum engine parts).
Maybe you should drive better cars. I haven't had that problem nor have I seen any overheated cars in the last 40 years.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:44 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
Maybe you should drive better cars. I haven't had that problem nor have I seen any overheated cars in the last 40 years.
Two were new Chevys.

Last edited by Easy Rhino; 06-16-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:52 PM
William Buckley
Racer

2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Harrison aluminum radiator, new thermostat, new fan clutch, shroud intact, and new radiator hoses. On the road with AC, 180 in hot weather. In stop and go with AC on, 210 and beyond. Temp gauge is accurate ..... confirmed by IR temp gun. I seem to get a vibration when I turn the AC on, but everything looks and sounds fine. Just wish I had no overheating problems with AC in hot weather.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:52 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
Two were new Chevys.
Aha!!!! Thought so.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:59 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Harrison aluminum radiator, new thermostat, new fan clutch, shroud intact, and new radiator hoses. On the road with AC, 180 in hot weather. In stop and go with AC on, 210 and beyond. Temp gauge is accurate ..... confirmed by IR temp gun. I seem to get a vibration when I turn the AC on, but everything looks and sounds fine. Just wish I had no overheating problems with AC in hot weather.
It's factory air I assume. Modern compressors don't load the engine the way antique compressors do. Although 250/300 HP 327s should be able to handle it better than a 350 or 365 HP engine. Read my post above.

It's possible that the system is overcharged, or the dryer is contaminated. Those conditions would cause the compressor to load the engine to a greater extent than normal.

I'd recommend you replace the radiator with a new DeWitts. First check it for hot spots with your palm. The upper part of the rad should be noticeably hotter than the bottom, with a smooth transition in between. Is the upper rubber baffle in place between the hood underside and the radiator? Seal ALL the gaps between the rad and the fan shroud with weatherstripping.

AS LONG AS IT'S NOT ACTUALLY BOILING OVER, than a significant temperature rise is normal.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 06-16-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:01 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

If it only goes up to 210 you've got a real winner there. People that have a dash light have no idea how much the temperature goes up and down.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:02 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

The normal operating temperarture for your car is 180-230F, same as a modern car.

With a proper 15 psi cap and 50/50 glycol-water coolant blend the boilover temperature is 265F.

Coolant temperature over 200 in hot weather slow speed driving with the AC on is perfectly normal.

Duke
Old 06-16-2018, 01:03 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

I will add that if you spend any money trying to keep the temperature below 210 with AC on a hot day, you'll soon be separated from your money. I'm sure you know the saying I'm talking about. 210 is not overheating
Old 06-16-2018, 01:06 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

For what it's worth, I did a thread a few years ago on that. All the advice here is good but I found that if your system is over charged, it will cause the engine to overheat.
I charged my system and didn't pay attention to the pressure, high side, just got it pumping cold and decided to use the rest of the can. Couldn't drive in the heat here in Palm springs.
My son who does A/C checked my charge and said I was way over charged. He reduced the charge and I was good in the heat. Over charged oil will do that also. There is a procedure to remove the excess oil without loosing your system charge that use the A6 compressor.
Newer compressors don't have a oil pan and it's more like a 2 cycle oils its bearings. The A6 has a oil pump that oils 4 bearings and the front seal.
The garage air compressor will heat up air. the more pressure the more heat. That's what can happen to your A/C system. The condenser is in front of the radiator and the over pressure will cause the condencer to get real hot and that air has to go thru it then thru your radiator.
Check your high & low side pressure, and if it's not cooling good you might have to reduce the oil in the compressor.

Dom
Old 06-16-2018, 01:08 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,022 Likes on 682 Posts

Originally Posted by 65ggvert
if it only goes up to 210 you've got a real winner there. People that have a dash light have no idea how much the temperature goes up and down.
👍 👍 👍
Old 06-16-2018, 01:14 PM
jet-tech
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 83 Posts

I had the same overtime issues when I installed a VA system on my 66 300 hp car, 220* plus temps. Like others have done I replaced the old radiator with a Dewitts unit, a larger fan & heavy duty fan clutch. Even with the high temps here in Dallas, my engine always stays in normal temp range and rarely gets over 200*.

Last edited by jet-tech; 06-16-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:16 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
If it only goes up to 210 you've got a real winner there. People that have a dash light have no idea how much the temperature goes up and down.

All of the cars I have owned over the last 35 years or so have had temp gauges. On every one of those cars, the gauge did NOT climb, at all, with the A/C on, in traffic in very hot weather.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 06-16-2018 at 01:17 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To AC putting a load on my engine temp

Old 06-16-2018, 01:21 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,120 Likes on 576 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

My 63 FI car, with Vintage Air, a new Dewitt’s radiator and puller fan runs cool all the time. Drove it yesterday with ambient about 85, it never got over 190 degrees on the gage.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:26 PM
R6T7
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

My experience with factory A/C midyears (I currently own three of them) is exactly the same as yours. They will run under 210 degrees on the highway, but in stop and go in high ambient temps they will soon overheat and start boiling coolant. On my '67 300HP coupe which we drive all over the US, I fixed the problem by adding a 16" Spal puller fan with a switch mounted under the instrument cluster. While I rarely use it, in those conditions when the coolant temps start to rise, that fan will move enough air through the radiator to keep coolant under 210. My functional test after I installed it was turn A/C to max, park the car in the driveway in 110 degree weather and let it idle for 20 minutes. Coolant stayed under 210. (By the way, I live in So Cal desert where summer temps are well over 100 degrees.)

Bob
Old 06-16-2018, 01:37 PM
William Buckley
Racer

2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Thanks for your comments. I just would like to stay stock without the electric fan installation, but I may have no other choice. Not sure about to temp in traffic, as I turn the AC off when it goes past 210 headed toward the orange area. I've put enough money in this sucker without having to rebuild the engine.

Quick Reply: AC putting a load on my engine temp