C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Upper & Lower A-Arm Bushing Retainer Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 10:11 PM
ph31mwl
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Upper & Lower A-Arm Bushing Retainer Bolts

While I had the body off the frame and the frame apart to rebuild the suspension, I rebuilt the A Arms on my 65 Roadster. The instructions said not to install the a-arm bushing retainer bolts until the frame is back together, the engine and transmission installed and the body is back on the frame. I am at that point now where I can install the retainer bolts. The more I tighten all I am doing is squishing the rubber bushing. There must be some point to stop but I am unable to find any instructions. My question is how tight to I tighten the bolts? Thank you very much for any guidance you can provide.Mark

Old 06-21-2018, 09:41 PM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Received 2,339 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by ph31mwl
While I had the body off the frame and the frame apart to rebuild the suspension, I rebuilt the A Arms on my 65 Roadster. The instructions said not to install the a-arm bushing retainer bolts until the frame is back together, the engine and transmission installed and the body is back on the frame. I am at that point now where I can install the retainer bolts. The more I tighten all I am doing is squishing the rubber bushing. There must be some point to stop but I am unable to find any instructions. My question is how tight to I tighten the bolts? Thank you very much for any guidance you can provide.Mark
Can you post a photo so we can see the bolt(s) in the question?
Old 06-21-2018, 09:53 PM
ph31mwl
Instructor

63 340HP, I will take pictures and try to post tomorrow morning

Mark
Old 06-21-2018, 10:21 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 163 Likes on 116 Posts

PH31MWL, I know the bolts you are talking about---The ones that screw into the ends of the control arm shafts. The 65 AIM does not specify any torque values for them, but the 66 & 67 aim's specify 45-55 foot pounds for the lowers, but no specs for the uppers. The uppers are smaller than the lowers if I remember correctly. I don't have access to my car right now, but If the uppers are 5/16" bolts, I would go about 25 foot pounds, and if they're 3/8" bolts I would go about 35 foot pounds.

RON
Old 06-21-2018, 10:41 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

The upper collar bolts on a '67 call for 45 lb ft. I check both uppers and lowers once a year to insure they're not backing out (had this happen once). With a box end wrench I just tighten them until they're good and tight. Unless you're using a cheater bar, you really can't over tighten them. The bolt will eventually tighten. Crank away!!
Old 06-21-2018, 11:09 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Old 06-22-2018, 01:55 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by rongold
PH31MWL, I know the bolts you are talking about---The ones that screw into the ends of the control arm shafts. The 65 AIM does not specify any torque values for them, but the 66 & 67 aim's specify 45-55 foot pounds for the lowers, but no specs for the uppers.
The upper control arm bushing retainer bolts don't show a part number or torque spec because the upper control arm was received at St. Louis as an assembly, with the bushing retainer bolts already torqued at the supplier (Chevrolet-Warren) while the upper arm and cross shaft were clamped in a fixture that established the angular position of the arm relative to the cross shaft while the bushing retainer bolts were torqued; St. Louis never touched them.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:09 PM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by buns
So lowers 45-55 and uppers 35-40 ft/lbs then? Seems like a lot for those bolts. Mine were loose when I checked, but didn't want to overtighten them and squish the bushings too flat.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:56 PM
ph31mwl
Instructor

63 340HP,rongold, leif.anderson93, buns, John Z and SWVette, thank you all very much for your responses. I was unable to find the answers anywhere and I want to do this correctly. 63 340HP, I have attached a picture (I hope) of the bold and where it goes in the upper control arm. The lower is the same except it is a bigger bolt. Based on the recommendations and the chart that “buns” has provided, it looks like the uppers are torqued to 35 – 40, and the lowers torqued 45 – 55.Thank you so much for providing this information.Mark
Old 06-22-2018, 05:57 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 163 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by SW Vette
So lowers 45-55 and uppers 35-40 ft/lbs then? Seems like a lot for those bolts. Mine were loose when I checked, but didn't want to overtighten them and squish the bushings too flat.
The bolts have to be tightened enough so that the washer contacts the serrated end of the bushing inner sleeve and pushes the opposite end of it against the shoulder on the shaft. The sleeve is supposed to be squashed between the shaft and the washer under the bolt. This is why you are supposed to torque the bolts with the car on the ground and sitting at normal height. When the suspension goes up & down those bushings ARE NOT supposed to spin on the shaft. The rubber is supposed to "twist" and the sleeve stays put.

RON

Last edited by rongold; 06-22-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:09 PM
A-Snake
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

63 340HP,rongold, leif.anderson93, buns, John Z and SWVette, thank you all very much for your responses. I was unable to find the answers anywhere and I want to do this correctly. 63 340HP, I have attached a picture (I hope) of the bold and where it goes in the upper control arm. The lower is the same except it is a bigger bolt. Based on the recommendations and the chart that “buns” has provided, it looks like the uppers are torqued to 35 – 40, and the lowers torqued 45 – 55.Thank you so much for providing this information.Mark
Because they were received as a finished item, the A Arms were painted gloss black including those bolts, washers, cross shafts and even paint on the bushings.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:17 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Originally Posted by buns
Excellent chart Buns. Source??
Old 06-22-2018, 07:13 PM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Received 2,339 Likes on 890 Posts

You have the right spec.

The large washer with the small hole will bottom on the shoulder at the end of the threads. This provides enough crush to wedge the inner rubber to the cross shaft, so the future movement is twist in the rubber bushing between the inner and outer edge. You want the car at ride height for the final tightening so the rubber inner edge on the cross shaft does not move, and so the rubber outer edge moves the least amount of rotation to minimize twist away from normal ride height in a bump.

Get notified of new replies

To Upper & Lower A-Arm Bushing Retainer Bolts

Quick Reply: [C2] Upper & Lower A-Arm Bushing Retainer Bolts