C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] New series 3 carrier and ring gears

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 02:19 PM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

Received 419 Likes on 246 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
Default New series 3 carrier and ring gears

I thought I better start a new thread instead of drifting the existing threads on carriers and ring gears.

Okay, let's say you're not going the used direction on a carrier and gears. My guru is against it and maybe he has good reason, I don't know. So, for the sake of discussion, we'll say new is the way to go.

Looks like the internet is covered with sellers of new series 3 carriers and ring gears. But, having zero knowledge of which mfgs are quality and which are not, I'm looking for suggestions. I'd like to compare prices of new versus used before I try to discuss this with him. So, any suggestions?

Butch
Old 06-22-2018, 03:20 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by 62cruiseer
Looks like the internet is covered with sellers of new series 3 carriers and ring gears. But, having zero knowledge of which mfgs are quality and which are not, I'm looking for suggestions. I'd like to compare prices of new versus used before I try to discuss this with him. So, any suggestions?

Butch
For starters, I'd start pricing a case instead of a carrier. If you buy a carrier, you'll buy something you already have.

The smart thing (financially) to do is to buy a used third member, center section, pumpkin and save your old one. It still has value where you want it or not.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:34 PM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

I understand Mike and that is very good reasoning. I'm just not sure this guy will install a used 3rd member or install it without going through it and if anything is wrong it's one me. I have a series 4 carrier (4:11 and up ratio) and I need a series 3 carrier (3:08 to 3:70 ratio) from all the information posted here. So, not sure what good a case only would do me.

So, I am looking for:

(1) A replacement 3rd member complete with the right ratio and keep the 4:11 too. But, at 69 I don't frequent car shows or places to find a used 3rd member.
(2) New carrier and ring gears. Most expensive way to go, but then if there are any problems going forward its on my shop for not putting it together right.

Butch
Old 06-22-2018, 03:39 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Toms Differentials was the best around. Tom passed away recently, and his wife Joanne is running the business.

Tom had 5 cut ring and pinion gear sets made by US Gear. There are still some 5 cut gears sets in stock.

Check with Joanne and see what ratios she has left. As I understand it, the date on the box is your best indication of
whether or not is is a 5 cut gear set. Apparently 2016 and early dated sets are good to go.

Others may (hopefully) chime in with additional details.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:28 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by 62cruiseer

I have a series 4 carrier (4:11 and up ratio) and I need a series 3 carrier (3:08 to 3:70 ratio) from all the information posted here. So, not sure what good a case only would do me.

(2) New carrier and ring gears. Most expensive way to go, but then if there are any problems going forward its on my shop for not putting it together right.

Butch
Your current CARRIER will encapsulate any gear ratio you can buy. Your CASE (that the ring gear bolts too) will only accept 4.11 or lower gears. If you want a ratio in the 3's, you'll have to purchase a new CASE to attach a 3 series ring gear to.

See post #10 of your other axle thread for correct nomenclature of axle parts.

Installing the new gear assembly in your car is not a hard job for you to do yourself if you choose to do it.

Last edited by MikeM; 06-22-2018 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:39 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

My advice:
Step one: Find a new Guru
Step two: follow the advice in post number 2.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:28 PM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

Yeah, I think I need to go back to the other axle thread for remedial training. I think I'm in overload and confusing my information. Thks guys.

Butch
Old 06-23-2018, 12:38 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,771 Likes on 1,673 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

A P-case is going to cost LOTS of money------------------EVEN AN EMPTY ONE!
Whereas-----------------------if you are not insisting on a P-case-----------------------------then a good NON-posi case (or carrier if you prefer) will work fine, and empty non-posi cases are between dirt cheap and free.
I posted pictures of before and after the partial removal of the gusset in a non-posi case.
By going with a non-posi (P-case), you will save (LITERALLY) hundreds of dollars.
Going with a P-case or non P-case is your call. In my book, the ONLY benefit to having a P-case is the status of saying "looky here, I have a P-case". BOTH a P-case and a non P-case, with a posi unit installed, will be 100% functionally the same.
The ONLY two aftermarket posi units to even consider are the Eaton and the Nitro Power Lock. PERIOD!
I personally would much prefer to have a NEW $500 posi unit rather than a 50-60yr old used original that is most likely going to cost $600-900, and in questionable condition also.
Ring and pinion gears are going to be your call. Regardless of what brand name, the price will be within a few dollars between them. Rock Auto lists 3.08-4.11 gears ranging from $207 to 338, and a rebuild kit (has everything) for about $180.
The following users liked this post:
wmf62 (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 07:13 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Contact Moser engineering and tell them what you are working on. They will supply a complete new third member set up and ready to go. You want disc brakes too? No problem.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:32 PM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

Thanks Doug! I don't need a "P" case and I appreciate knowing the good carrier mfg's from the also runs. Thank you too badbirdcage!

I finally have my cases and carriers figured out. The case in my car shows casting letters (CB) saying it was a 3:36 ratio at one time. So, I guess there's always a chance the original series 3 carrier might still be installed and the owner went cheap and installed a spacer when he put in the 4:11 gears.......I read that somewhere about the spacer, so that might wrong too. I've read so much about 62's during the past 3 months my head is swimming.

Are there date codes on rear end cases? If so, I missed it.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:45 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

DZAUTO has already weighed in. Tom is one of the best on the forum in this area. And he builds cars. Perhaps send him a PM and ask what his cost would be to build you something ready to install.

Larry
Old 06-24-2018, 07:49 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Put in a 9" Ford Rear and be done with it. Way more durable than a GM unit
Old 06-24-2018, 07:55 PM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

Originally Posted by Powershift
DZAUTO has already weighed in. Tom is one of the best on the forum in this area. And he builds cars. Perhaps send him a PM and ask what his cost would be to build you something ready to install.

Larry

Oops! Looks like I just called Tom, Doug........sorry Tom. Thanks Larry, good information to know. I've decided, at least for the time being, to enjoy the 4:11. Who knows, might even go to a 5 speed and keep the 4:11. Too many choices coming at me too soon. I can't help but ask the questions, as I want to learn and the more I learn (hopefully) the better decisions I'll make.

Butch

Get notified of new replies

To New series 3 carrier and ring gears

Quick Reply: [C1] New series 3 carrier and ring gears