C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Door weatherstrippping

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 06:56 PM
Chummy85623
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Door weatherstrippping

I'm replacing the door weatherstripping in my 1962 car. The original rubber had metal clips connected by a thin metal wire running through the rubber. They fit into holes in the door. The replacement part instead has plastic pins that are intended to fit in the holes (they're a bit too big to snap in easily so I'll have to open up the holes a little). I saw no sign of weather strip adhesive when I removed the original rubber but the car has been repainted in the past so I'm wondering if I should use adhesive to install the new rubber. The new rubber seems very light and pliable. Seems like it would make sense to use adhesive. Not seeking correctness as much as having the weatherstripping remain in place
Old 06-23-2018, 08:30 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Chummy85623
I saw no sign of weather strip adhesive when I removed the original rubber but the car has been repainted in the past so I'm wondering if I should use adhesive to install the new rubber. The new rubber seems very light and pliable. Seems like it would make sense to use adhesive. Not seeking correctness as much as having the weatherstripping remain in place
Yes - use adhesive as the plant did originally. Use the stuff Al Knoch uses or 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive or Contact Cement. The judges like to see yellow/amber color, but the original adhesive was clear and yellowed with age. Tip - all new rubber weatherstripping has a light, powdery coat of mold release compound on it, which keeps the adhesive from sticking - be sure and clean that off the weatherstrip surfaces that will get glue with denatured alcohol so the adhesive tacks up quickly and STICKS.
The following 2 users liked this post by JohnZ:
Chummy85623 (06-24-2018), Loren Smith (06-23-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 12:51 AM
Chummy85623
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Yes - use adhesive as the plant did originally. Use the stuff Al Knoch uses or 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive or Contact Cement. The judges like to see yellow/amber color, but the original adhesive was clear and yellowed with age. Tip - all new rubber weatherstripping has a light, powdery coat of mold release compound on it, which keeps the adhesive from sticking - be sure and clean that off the weatherstrip surfaces that will get glue with denatured alcohol so the adhesive tacks up quickly and STICKS.
Thanks. I use the 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive which has an amber color. No worries about judges. Its not that kind of car and I'm not that kind of guy.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:23 PM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

Received 419 Likes on 246 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Hey Chummy85623,

All my weatherstrip is original and needs to be replaced. We (wife and I) were going to do this at home. So, since you're in the middle of your project how is it, simple but time consuming or frustrating and difficult? Just trying to see if this is a straight forward project or a PITA.

Thanks!

Butch
Old 06-24-2018, 01:58 PM
Chummy85623
Instructor

It's simple but time consuming. I expect if your car has original rubber and was done at factory with adhesive the worst part will be removing the old rubber and cleaning the surface before applying the new weatherstripping. It's an easy do-it-yourself job. Just take your time and note how the old stuff is attached. There's a metal clip that fits behind the window track that pulls out and a few clips on the window upright that are attached with small screws. Along the length of the rubber there are wire clips that should pull out of holes in the door. When you get to the rear door opening there is one screw underneath and one above going through the chrome door trim from the top. All in all pretty straightforward. Good luck

Last edited by Chummy85623; 06-24-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:09 PM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

Excellent! This sounds like a good DIY project. Did you buy a kit from one of the online shops? I need the window metal/brush strips as they are bad too, did you get these too?
Old 06-24-2018, 02:58 PM
Chummy85623
Instructor

Originally Posted by 62cruiseer
Excellent! This sounds like a good DIY project. Did you buy a kit from one of the online shops? I need the window metal/brush strips as they are bad too, did you get these too?
Bought the rubber from Paragon. There are 2 sets of weather stripping for each door. The lower "auxiliary" set gets glued to the car body. My window tracks/brush strips were fine. I used 3m Weatherstrip Adhesive to attach. Follow instructions and be neat with the application. It gets messy if you get it on your fingers. Stuff is tenacious.

Looks great once you get rid of all that cracked and nasty old stuff. Good luck and have fun

Old 06-24-2018, 03:13 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

if not NCRS car, get the 3M black adhsive. It blends in with the black rubber better. Also if you need to clean up any excess Goo Gone works well. Try the Goo Gone on a hidden area to make sure that it doesnt affect the paint. It didnt on my clear coat....in fact I put on and off my trunk weather seal many times trying to get it right, each time I cleaned up the trunk lid with Goo Gone.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:26 PM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

Thanks good tip on the black adhesive. Car will never be judged and since it's black that's a good color for the installation.

My window tracks and brush strips are shot just like the other weather stripping.................old and worn out.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:44 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Thanks good tip on the black adhesive. Car will never be judged and since it's black that's a good color for the installation.

My window tracks and brush strips are shot just like the other weather stripping.................old and worn out.
I used black on my '60....

Old 06-24-2018, 08:02 PM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

Perusing the CC catalog, I find these window felt kits are less than $200, but I need to check to make sure I don't need the garnish and frames. More than doubles the price, but new felts in one way or another has to happen for me.

Butch
Old 06-24-2018, 08:22 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Perusing the CC catalog, I find these window felt kits are less than $200, but I need to check to make sure I don't need the garnish and frames. More than doubles the price, but new felts in one way or another has to happen for me.

Butch

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Door weatherstrippping

Quick Reply: [C1] Door weatherstrippping