C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Runs great UNTIL vacuum advance line is connected

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 10:19 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

[QUOTE=big block ken;1597560427
It ran perfect, with the timing at factory spec 4* at 600 rpm and dwell at 28-30. But as soon as I unplug the vacuum advance line and connect it to the diaphragm, it sputters and runs terrible. [/QUOTE]

Based on this limited information, I would suspect you have an ignition problem. I.E., no problem until the breaker plate moves/rotates under vacuum.

Check all the wires in the distributor for damage, fraying, loose, broken, etc.

Last edited by MikeM; 07-09-2018 at 10:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
big block ken (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 12:39 PM
Tiros
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by big block ken
The factory spec of 4* BTC at 600 rpm just seems so low, especially since using Lars theory of setting it at peak street rpm of 2800-3000 (I assume big blocks would be the same as small blocks, but he doesn't say), I had timing set at @ 34* total then. And then it just fell wherever it was at idle
I think its low too. I am not concerned with idle advance. I use the Lars method, last time I checked static I think I was about 14 BTC. I use a dial back light to set only the total mechanical. The low falls where it wants. I like really light springs in my BB to get the advance in early enough. You cant set initial timing with those springs in, since you will start to get some advance at idle. If I really want to see the static, I put the real heavy springs in, or wire the weights, not really worth the trouble since static doesn't matter (total is what really matters). I don't think 12-16 is unreasonable. If your pinging, use the Lars method with a lower target say 32 instead of 34. (But 34 should be ok, some guys run 36)

So you have the light, how much does the timing change when you hook up the can? Suck on the hose and look at the marks. I had to limit mine, due to some trailer hitching at cruise (not your problem it seems). Usually the idle would pick up when you plug in the can.

Last edited by Tiros; 07-09-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:00 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

The breaker plate ground wire brazed on, UNDER the breaker plate is very susceptible to breaking and causing intermittent ground when breaker plate is moved.

Open the points adjustment door and run a temporary ground using wire with clips on both ends.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 07-09-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:38 PM
big block ken
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 105 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by tbarb
If you set initial timing at 4* BTDC and can't get the engine to run with the vacuum advance connected something is wrong. Could the TDC mark on the damper have slipped on the rubber or something amiss inside the distributor.
....Even with timing advanced to 12-14* at idle, it still misses and backfires when the vacuum line is connected to the distributor. So I'm leaning toward a distributor problem.

That carburetor # does not sound right to me, I thought the Holley # was 3811.
.....1966 427/390 M.T. uses a Holley 3370. 1967 uses the 3811 (which I also have as a spare in the box).
Old 07-09-2018, 08:44 PM
big block ken
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Factoid

Ported vacuum on a Holley is taken from the metering block via a port just above the idle mixture screw on one side. To your point, if you look at the 3370 metering block, you will see an unmilled boss where the ported vacuum nipple would be installed. It is not included on this carb as Holley considers this a performance carb, not an economy or emission carb.
Actually, there IS a ported vacuum nipple that's capped on the metering block! I didn't show it or mention it when I posted the carb pic because it's really inaccessible behind the choke vacuum pull off. And the vacuum line on this car has always been connected to the manifold vacuum port at the carb base.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:54 PM
big block ken
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
I can't make any sense out of your statement. The VAC signal line must be removed from the VAC and plugged with a golf tee to set initial timing.
Yes, it is plugged with a golf tee during initial timing. The vacuum and centrifugal advance specs are in your CSM. I think the max centrifugal is 30 @ 5000, which is very lazy, and maximum vacuum advance is 16 @ 12" and the VAC is stamped 360 12. So you need to check both. VACs eventually fail due to seizing up or a ruptured diaphragm,which will cause a significant vacuum leak. See Frankie's post above. I pulled the entire vacuum line and sucked the diaphragm, which held for at least 5 seconds on my tongue.

Total WOT advance should be in the range of 36-40, as high as you can go in that range without detonation, and with lighter springs you can set it a few hundred revs above the point of maximum advance. With 30 centrifugal, initial should be in the range of 6-10, and total idle advance with the VAC connected should be in the range of 22-26 and stable.
Duke
Right now, I'm at 12-14* advanced at idle (600-650 rpm), and there is no difference in behavior of the engine whether the vacuum line is plugged or not. But as soon as I connect it to the dizzy diaphragm, it sputters and backfires making it impossible to adjust. I pull the vacuum line and it runs fine again. I took it for a test drive like that, with the vacuum line plugged with a golf tee, and it performs fantastic. But I don't want to risk overheating. This big block has always run around 180* steady.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:37 PM
big block ken
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
The breaker plate ground wire brazed on, UNDER the breaker plate is very susceptible to breaking and causing intermittent ground when breaker plate is moved.

Open the points adjustment door and run a temporary ground using wire with clips on both ends.
After trying everything else, I thought this was simple enough. So I went back into the garage and used a pointed test lead to ground on the plate and points screw, but no change. I also tightened up the carb base and bowl screws a little, but no change.

I did pull the vacuum line off of the manifold port on the carb, which has a very strong vacuum, and sucked on it hard while connected to the distributor diaphragm. But nothing changed. It didn't cause a backfire, until I reconnected it to the carb manifold port.

But I have to say that it does run steady and is totally responsive. It just bothers me to leave that vacuum line disconnected, which has been connected to that distributor since it was brand new. But who can complain after 52 years, and 90k miles with only one broken valve spring.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:45 AM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

The whole point of vacuum advance is to gain economy and maybe a hint of drivability.

We traditionally run 10-15* of idle advance in awide range of applications.
So using vacuum advance to add 10-15* at idle to already 10-15* is not the normal method because it will result with 30* of total idle advance.

Instead the traditional method is to use the alternative ports on throttlebody/carb that only provide vacuum when the butterfly valve is open beyond a specific point, such that a total vacuum advance is applied only while the owner is on the throttle.

Total advance varies, typically 30-40* during cruise is acceptable with gasoline, even 87 octane in a majority of 8.5 and 9:1 compression ratio is quite common i.e. truck engines with low octane maps
Old 07-10-2018, 02:43 AM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Received 2,339 Likes on 890 Posts

The symptoms read like either the distributors internal ground wire is disconnecting or the negative side coil wire is shorting inside as the breaker plate is rotated by the vacuum can.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:39 AM
big block ken
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 63 340HP
The symptoms read like either the distributors internal ground wire is disconnecting or the negative side coil wire is shorting inside as the breaker plate is rotated by the vacuum can.
I'll pull the cap, rotor, points, and ignition shielding to get a good look at the distributor base plate. Is it possible to see that internal ground wire? If so, I could check it for continuity. And what would cause the coil to short out internally as the breaker plate rotates? Would that be due to a loose ground on the plate also?
Old 07-10-2018, 08:08 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,951 Posts

I don't think they mean the coil is shorting internally. I think they are suggesting that maybe when the vacuum advance is connected and it rotates the breaker plate to advance timing - it's shorting the negative wire connection to the plate. When the vacuum advance is disconnected the plate resumes position and the weak connection isn't shorting again.

Sounds very possible since as Mr. Spock would say - it's illogical that the engine would run worse with manifold vacuum advance connected at idle.

Edit : Instead of "shorting" I guess it would be more correct to say it's breaking connection or losing connectivity.

Last edited by DansYellow66; 07-10-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:10 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

I'll pull the cap, rotor, points, and ignition shielding to get a good look at the distributor base plate. Is it possible to see that internal ground wire? If so, I could check it for continuity. And what would cause the coil to short out internally as the breaker plate rotates? Would that be due to a loose ground on the plate also?
The ground is connected to the plate on the underside, and this is usually where the break occurs. If running the jumper wire like I advised earlier made no difference, then there is no break in the ground wire. Frankly, I don't know what you did. Sounds like you tested ground with a test light rather than running a jumper from anywhere on the plate/points to a good ground on the engine or preferably the neg batt terminal.

If the ground is not the issue then check for a short as 63 340 suggests.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 07-10-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:13 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n
The whole point of vacuum advance is to gain economy and maybe a hint of drivability.

We traditionally run 10-15* of idle advance in awide range of applications.
So using vacuum advance to add 10-15* at idle to already 10-15* is not the normal method because it will result with 30* of total idle advance.

Instead the traditional method is to use the alternative ports on throttlebody/carb that only provide vacuum when the butterfly valve is open beyond a specific point, such that a total vacuum advance is applied only while the owner is on the throttle.

Total advance varies, typically 30-40* during cruise is acceptable with gasoline, even 87 octane in a majority of 8.5 and 9:1 compression ratio is quite common i.e. truck engines with low octane maps
I disagree completely. Engines were designed to run between about 48 and 54 degrees total spark advance at cruise.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:00 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I ran my 61 at 38* initial + centrifugal and 50* with vac advance and I was on the bitter edge.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-10-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:49 AM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
I disagree completely. Engines were designed to run between about 48 and 54 degrees total spark advance at cruise.
My post says "Total advance varies. typically, engines ... 30-40*..."

Original engines from 1960's are no longer typical. The old, sloppy, terrible engine style is long gone. if you still have one of those I am sorry for you. they don't make them like that anymore though. Any engine made in Japan after 1989 and any V8 made by chevy after 1998 is not going to tolerate much more than 44* of timing at cruise, and most want 37-42*.

the more advance an engine needs in general, the less efficient it is typically found to be. Really ancient 60's engines needed much more advance because chamber tech in the 60's sucked in America. Nowadays you find 40-45* for cruise situations max. Nobody uses 50* anymore with engines made after 1998. Which is what everybody should have in their cars by now, Sequential EFI, excellent fuel efficiency engines from 99+ cost $300-$500 for ~5.3L and support 500-800rwhp depending on the year (gen4 internals in some 2004 gen3 blocks). Almost double the NA power potential of a big block from the 70's

get with the program dudes ;D

Last edited by Kingtal0n; 07-10-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:50 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

After trying everything else, I thought this was simple enough. So I went back into the garage and used a pointed test lead to ground on the plate and points screw, but no change. I also tightened up the carb base and bowl screws a little, but no change.

I did pull the vacuum line off of the manifold port on the carb, which has a very strong vacuum, and sucked on it hard while connected to the distributor diaphragm. But nothing changed. It didn't cause a backfire, until I reconnected it to the carb manifold port.

But I have to say that it does run steady and is totally responsive. It just bothers me to leave that vacuum line disconnected, which has been connected to that distributor since it was brand new. But who can complain after 52 years, and 90k miles with only one broken valve spring.
Did you run the test ground wire from the points plate through the window to a good ground on the engine, it does not sound like you did that. Re read post #33, as this will eliminate the ground wire issue.

Don't worry you will find the problem and be able to use the vacuum advance, just stay at it until you figure it out because it's done you a favor by presenting the problem in your driveway vs on the road somewhere.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:10 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tbarb
Did you run the test ground wire from the points plate through the window to a good ground on the engine, it does not sound like you did that. Re read post #33, as this will eliminate the ground wire issue.

Don't worry you will find the problem and be able to use the vacuum advance, just stay at it until you figure it out because it's done you a favor by presenting the problem in your driveway vs on the road somewhere.
Tim,

You meant #23 or #32, right?

Get notified of new replies

To Runs great UNTIL vacuum advance line is connected

Old 07-10-2018, 10:11 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Original engines from 1960's are no longer typical. The old, sloppy, terrible engine style is long gone. if you still have one of those I am sorry for you. they don't make them like that anymore though. Any engine made in Japan after 1989 and any V8 made by chevy after 1998 is not going to tolerate much more than 44* of timing at cruise, and most want 37-42*.

Really ancient 60's engines needed much more advance because chamber tech in the 60's sucked in America.

Nobody uses 50* anymore with engines made after 1998. Which is what everybody should have in their cars by now,

You probably didn't notice when you signed up here that this forum is all about cars made in that terrible time frame.
The '50's-'60's.

How do you like that little ole Datsun yer drivin'? Do you have any idea how many of these terribly designed SBC engines have been stuck in Datsuns to make them fast?
Old 07-10-2018, 10:13 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

My post says "Total advance varies. typically, engines ... 30-40*..."

the more advance an engine needs in general, the less efficient it is typically found to be. Really ancient 60's engines needed much more advance because chamber tech in the 60's sucked in America. Nowadays you find 40-45* for cruise situations max. Nobody uses 50* anymore with engines made after 1998. Which is what everybody should have in their cars by now, Sequential EFI, excellent fuel efficiency engines from 99+ cost $300-$500 for ~5.3L and support 500-800rwhp depending on the year (gen4 internals in some 2004 gen3 blocks). Almost double the NA power potential of a big block from the 70's

You're confusing the issue. We're talking about 1950-60s vintage engines here. Engines of that vintage like 48 - 54 degrees total spark advance @ cruise, NOT 30-40.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:51 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,951 Posts

It can vary a little. My open chamber aluminum head BB is limited to 36 (initial + mech advance) and 8 vacuum for a total of 44 deg since any more than that it will miss constantly (or trailer hitch as others call it) at highway cruise speed. But the open chamber heads are really more 70s era technology than 60s. But unless you really set up a modified distributor to allow something like 18 -- 20 degrees initial timing, vacuum advance is definitely your friend on the street.

Quick Reply: Runs great UNTIL vacuum advance line is connected