C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Window handles and Lock knob positions

Old 07-09-2018, 08:36 AM
sandymac
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Window handles and Lock **** positions

1965 L79 Coupe -
I have just completed restoring doors - and the final step is to put the window handles and lock ***** on - this may seem petty to some but why do it wrong when I can do it the correct way. Can someone confirm the correct window and vent window handle position as well as the correct lock **** position.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:50 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

With vent window closed and side window down the crank handles should point thusly. The window handle should point to the lower forward door panel screw and vent handle to the one above. This is clearly stated in the interior sections of the Judging Guide. Nolan’s Adams survey of 34 factory midyears confirms this. (-;

Seriously. I just do it this way because it’s easy to remember, consistent and “feels right” when I’m sitting in the car.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-09-2018 at 08:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sandymac (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 09:08 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

there has been many of threads on this. There is no right or wrong way for the vent and window cranks. Just put them on in a way that they won’t hit your leg either up or down
sandymac (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 12:04 PM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

One person states there is a "correct" orientation as supported by the "Judging Guide" and a Nolan Adams survey. Another states without reference that there is "no right or wrong way" for the orientation. Beyond speculation and personal preference, is there an answer to this question?
Old 07-09-2018, 12:10 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

As others have stated, there is no such thing as a correct clock position for the crank handles on 63-67 Corvettes.

There is a correct position shown in the passenger car AIM's but not for Corvette.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:12 PM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 570 Likes on 306 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

The 6th edition judging manual does not say anything about position of the window cranks. It does address the round locking **** though. The metal ribs align parallel to the sill.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:17 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Critter1
As others have stated, there is no such thing as a correct clock position for the crank handles on 63-67 Corvettes.

There is a correct position shown in the passenger car AIM's but not for Corvette.
wouldnt the Fisher plant installed the cranks so therefor would not be in the AIM. unless my Chevelle AIM is missing pages the soft parts non option parts are not shown in mine
Old 07-09-2018, 12:18 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Out of curiosity - how many of you have set the window crank handles at a certain, identical position (say, windows down) on each side of the car but when they are cranked to the "other" position (windows up)....they no longer align identically ?

You would think the regulators would have the same number of rotations from one extreme position to the other on both sides..

Yeah, I know, its a "first world" problem for sure...
Old 07-09-2018, 12:38 PM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 570 Likes on 306 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Out of curiosity - how many of you have set the window crank handles at a certain, identical position (say, windows down) on each side of the car but when they are cranked to the "other" position (windows up)....they no longer align identically ?

You would think the regulators would have the same number of rotations from one extreme position to the other on both sides..

Yeah, I know, its a "first world" problem for sure...
Probably the gravitational pull of the earth! Aren't these cars fun to play with!
Old 07-09-2018, 12:55 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man

wouldnt the Fisher plant installed the cranks so therefor would not be in the AIM. unless my Chevelle AIM is missing pages the soft parts non option parts are not shown in mine
That's probably correct but I don't know for sure. Several years ago, there was a discussion about this over at the NCRS board and a few members stated that the passenger car AIM did show a correct clock position for the crank. I don't have any pass car AIM's to check.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:17 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Just get electric windows and vents and then you don’t have to worry about it!
Old 07-09-2018, 05:41 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
With vent window closed and side window down the crank handles should point thusly. The window handle should point to the lower forward door panel screw and vent handle to the one above. This is clearly stated in the interior sections of the Judging Guide. Nolan’s Adams survey of 34 factory midyears confirms this. (-;

Seriously. I just do it this way because it’s easy to remember, consistent and “feels right” when I’m sitting in the car.

Looks correct, smaller glass window goes with smaller crank and larger crank goes with larger glass window. Just logics and physics 101.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:05 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 334 Posts

I just replaced my door panels on my 67 and I am having trouble getting my cranks back on. I thought I just recently saw a thread about this here but I have not been able to find it. I do not want to hijack this thread but if anyone can post a link to the other thread that would be helpful.

Thanks
Jay
Old 07-09-2018, 06:49 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by deejaydu
I just replaced my door panels on my 67 and I am having trouble getting my cranks back on. I thought I just recently saw a thread about this here but I have not been able to find it. I do not want to hijack this thread but if anyone can post a link to the other thread that would be helpful.

Thanks
Jay
are you using original cranks or repro. If repro from who? There is at least two manufactures of them. One is better then the other. Paragon makes the better cranks or did. If repro panels and original cranks the repo panels are too bulgey in that area. Get a helper and have them push back the panel while you take your palm and hit really hard on base of the crank and it should snap into place
Old 07-09-2018, 07:16 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

are you using original cranks or repro. If repro from who? There is at least two manufactures of them. One is better then the other. Paragon makes the better cranks or did. If repro panels and original cranks the repo panels are too bulgey in that area. Get a helper and have them push back the panel while you take your palm and hit really hard on base of the crank and it should snap into place
I am not sure about the cranks they are the ones that were on the car and they do have part numbers stamped in them. I have trimmed out the area to try and make that area fit better but still not able to get them on. I can tell that if I do get them on that they are going to rub on the racetrack trim. These are older repro door panels with the upper part of the panel being metal. The door panels themselves fit very good overall. No other issues other than the cranks.

Thanks
Jay
Old 07-09-2018, 07:44 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Jay do you have the Window Crank Spacers?
Old 07-09-2018, 11:52 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Jay do you have the Window Crank Spacers?
Yes I do have the spacer. I started taking out some of the foam this evening and I am getting closer but not there. I will keep working on it and I hope that I can get it to work.Thanks for your help Nowhere Man

Jay
Old 07-10-2018, 08:30 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

On steel cars, Fisher Body installed the door handles and window cranks, and there were published specs from Fisher on the installed positions, with corresponding illustrations on the Fisher Body Operation Description Sheets; that's why nothing shows in the passenger car A.I.M.'s - the parts were Fisher-installed, not Chevrolet-installed. On Corvettes, of course, Fisher wasn't involved at all, so there were no "position specs" for handles and cranks.
Nowhere Man (07-10-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Window handles and Lock knob positions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [C2] Window handles and Lock knob positions