C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

West Systems epoxy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 08:02 AM
Stingxray
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Default West is the best

I used West systems on all repairs and bonded the replacement front end with its SIX10 product.
The 67 will not likely see another stress crack! Tough stuff . My only issue ............. Make sure West systems cured resin is roughed up good ( 40 grit ), when applying polyester products over it ... Primer Filler etc. Will not stick well to the Shiny glaze!
The information below might be interesting to you ...
G

https://www.westsystem.com/instructi...nish-coatings/

Last edited by Stingxray; 07-14-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:58 AM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,124 Likes on 732 Posts

I have used West Systems for many years on R&D lab projects, cars and race boats. When epoxy cures it has a "blush" on the surface - similar to polyester resin with a wax in it. ( bonding vs lay-up resin vs finishing resin). This can act as a release agent.

It was always recommended to use Epoxy over Polyester for the best bonds. I have used epoxy resin with fillers as a "Bondo" substitute.

If the blush on epoxy resins is not totally removed after a full cure the bond will be weak. I agree that roughing up the surface will help. I also recommend a full wash and scrub before sanding as per West Systems instruction manuals.

I have parts that were made many years ago (15+) with West Systems and have no failures - proper prep is always the key.

The above video is the best instruction I have seen in a few years....

My thoughts - take your time and don't take short cuts and both resins will work very well.

Last edited by BLUE1972; 07-15-2018 at 10:06 AM. Reason: hate auto spell

Quick Reply: West Systems epoxy?