C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Flywheel Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 08:16 AM
C2Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Flywheel Issue?

As I continue to sort my 66 L-79 vert there is an issue I could use some confirmation on. Since purchasing her back in November I have probably started her three dozen times. Twice, as I turn the key, I got a loud crunch noise. Immediately let go of the key, wait a second and attempt a re-start. Always started fine the second attempt. So two times out of three dozen, am I looking at a bad tooth on the flywheel or a sketchy starter solenoid?
Old 07-11-2018, 08:32 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

Either of those could be the cause of your noise. You may also need to shim the starter away from the block. You should be able to insert wire from a paper clip between the root of the flywheel teeth and the crest of a starter tooth, or vice versa, when the starter drive gear is pushed out to the flywheel. The starter will sound really good when it's shimmed properly as in no grinding noise or screeching.
The following users liked this post:
C2Dude (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 10:11 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Might also be a bad starter drive.
C2Dude (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 09:14 PM
Gold Dragon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts

Could be what the kids call run out on the flywheel. Old timers just say it’s warped. Not the end of the world, but should be replaced. Having the exact issue, but have other priorities right now. Those are all good suggestions, but my money is on the flywheel.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:03 AM
C2Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Flywheel

Originally Posted by Gold Dragon
Could be what the kids call run out on the flywheel. Old timers just say it’s warped. Not the end of the world, but should be replaced. Having the exact issue, but have other priorities right now. Those are all good suggestions, but my money is on the flywheel.
Well I was not looking to get into a major project like that so soon in the ownership process but I had thought seriousally about putting in a 5 speed. That would give me the opportunity to address the flywheel, freshen up the clutch and such. Hope to have a lift toward the end of the season which might give me the courage to attempt all of this.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:35 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Shimming the starter is not a big deal on the C2. You can add a factory shim without removing the starter. I would disconnect the battery for safety. You loosen both bolts to get a 1/16" gap or so. Slide the slotted end of the shim around the inside bolt. Remove the outer bolt and align the shim to the bolt hole, then reinstall the bolt and tighten both bolts. Worth a shot.
C2Dude (07-12-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Flywheel Issue?

Quick Reply: Flywheel Issue?