C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Yet again, a WIW thread...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 07:53 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Default Yet again, a WIW thread...

I'm kicking around the idea of selling my '67 Coupe. It has the original engine, 327/300HP, highly factory optioned car with air conditioning, powerglide, power windows, power steering, power brakes. 75,XXX original miles. Supposedly it has the original interior. I just had the original A/C system restored by DOM and it blows COLD!. The color matches the vin tag, and the tank sticker is still on the fuel tank. The only add-ons I have done to it is a SPAL puller fan for those 105+ degree days 10 times a year so I can leave the A/C on, and when I bought it the previous owner just put a stainless exhaust system on it. It was sold new at a dealer in the San Diego area and has never been out of Southern California as far as we know, so it is totally completely rust free. The tires were new in 2016.

The paint is in excellent condition except for some bubbling on the hood above the formerly leaking A/C compressor, and the front fender wells were trimmed slightly at the top at some point prior to the recent repaint. Other than that there isn't one scratch on this car. Chrome is great.

Last edited by Randy G.; 07-10-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:16 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,266 Likes on 1,687 Posts

I think you only bought it less than a year ago. What did you pay for it? That's probably about what it is still worth now.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:36 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Originally Posted by 65hihp
I think you only bought it less than a year ago. What did you pay for it? That's probably about what it is still worth now.
The asking price was $75,000 when I bought it. During the sales process the seller thought it may have recently developed a rod knock, so I negotiated a very nice discount by suggesting that if it was in fact a rod knock I wouldn't be sending the goon squad after him, but that I would accept it as-is knowing full well the original engine could be damaged or worse. He accepted my offer. It turned out to be a broken fuel pump spring and slightly bent fuel pump lever. $25 later and it's runs like a champ ever since. All that to say, I didn't pay full market for it. And since this is a year later the market may have changed anyway, so that's why I'm asking. I'm not sure.

The reason I'm thinking of selling it is because my wife's fight with the "C" word is coming to a close in what we believe will be in the next few weeks or couple of months, which will mean big changes for me after she's gone. So I'm thinking I want to downsize the herd before the slower sales typically found in the fall and winter months are upon us.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:42 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

I'm a self declared expert, and based on your description it is my assesssment you should ask 70 and be happy with anything over 60. It would be easier with a 4 speed but someone is going to really want that auto and air combo, so it may take a bit.
The following users liked this post:
Randy G. (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 11:40 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 334 Posts

A 66 Black/Black Coupe original motor 300 hp equipped exactly like yours including original AIR system sold recently local to me for 52K. Seller said he was asking more but that was his best offer after 6 months so he took it.

Jay
Old 07-11-2018, 07:55 AM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Well, before I read what you paid for it, I was thinking $75k. Now, after reading what you paid, and just going on the pix & your descriptions, I still say $75k.

So sorry to read about your wife's condition and prognosis. Prayers sent for you both.
Randy G. (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 08:23 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,939 Likes on 4,780 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Sorry to here about your wife but unless you need the money you might be sorry big you sell it. I lost my mom to that C word and the Corvettes is what helped my dad get through it. While we rather have the other the cars still bring joy. My two cents
Old 07-11-2018, 09:23 AM
gowenfast
Le Mans Master

Received 825 Likes on 431 Posts
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 C1 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by Randy G.
The asking price was $75,000 when I bought it. During the sales process the seller thought it may have recently developed a rod knock, so I negotiated a very nice discount by suggesting that if it was in fact a rod knock I wouldn't be sending the goon squad after him, but that I would accept it as-is knowing full well the original engine could be damaged or worse. He accepted my offer. It turned out to be a broken fuel pump spring and slightly bent fuel pump lever. $25 later and it's runs like a champ ever since. All that to say, I didn't pay full market for it. And since this is a year later the market may have changed anyway, so that's why I'm asking. I'm not sure.

The reason I'm thinking of selling it is because my wife's fight with the "C" word is coming to a close in what we believe will be in the next few weeks or couple of months, which will mean big changes for me after she's gone. So I'm thinking I want to downsize the herd before the slower sales typically found in the fall and winter months are upon us.
I have many friends battling the big C. My heart goes out to you. It is an ugly disease, that never lets up. Condolences, and prayers
Old 07-11-2018, 09:28 AM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 381 Likes on 267 Posts

I'll say $55K, the trimmed front wheel openings will scare away some. Do you have all the A.I.R. eqquipment?
Old 07-11-2018, 06:36 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Sorry to here about your wife but unless you need the money you might be sorry big you sell it. I lost my mom to that C word and the Corvettes is what helped my dad get through it. While we rather have the other the cars still bring joy. My two cents
I'm in this camp.....keep the car if you don't need the cash right now. It may provide an escape and some comfort later on. If not, sell it then. Once again, my heart goes out to you and your family, Randy. BTDT with several loved ones, and it's a tough road.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:11 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Keep the car for now- you can always sell it later.

God bless you and your wife!
Old 07-11-2018, 09:36 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Originally Posted by GTOguy
I'm in this camp.....keep the car if you don't need the cash right now. It may provide an escape and some comfort later on. If not, sell it then. Once again, my heart goes out to you and your family, Randy. BTDT with several loved ones, and it's a tough road.
3 years ago they gave her 6 months. Because of our support group we know several that were diagnosed after her and are long gone. I'm thankful for every minute I have with her.

People have encouraged me to find something to keep me busy, otherwise I'll go nuts. I retired from TA/FC racing back in 2012 to spend more time at home. But when she goes being at home may be the last thing I want to do. So, with her blessings, I picked up a Rick Jones Pro Stock Camaro a month ago and plan on running the west coast in NHRA's top sportsman class with some of my pals once I decide what kind of power plant I want to run in it. It's a 6 second 200 mile per hour very low maintenance dial in class. I have room for one or two cars so I'm thinking of letting the Corvette go.

My friends say when you reach your 60's for some there are the go-go years, followed by the slow-go years and eventually followed by the no-go years. Right now I'm still in the go-go years. Maybe in the slow-go years I'll get rid of the race car and learn to relax in a lounge chair at cruise nights in a Corvette.

This is it. I just need to change the vinyl lettering and take JR Carr's name off. All carbon fiber body.

Last edited by Randy G.; 07-11-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:58 AM
mcb55-210
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Thoughts and prayers are with you and your bride, Randy.

Mike
Randy G. (07-12-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Yet again, a WIW thread...

Quick Reply: [C2] Yet again, a WIW thread...