C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Dwell Changes with RPM?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 01:56 PM
After38Years
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Dwell Changes with RPM?

While setting timing I noticed that while I had set the dwell for 30 degrees, it gained a degree or two with increased RPM, then settled back at idle.
The points have less than 1500 miles on them, are positioned properly and the screws are tight. I've checked this with two different dwell meters.
Normal??
Old 07-13-2018, 02:04 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by After38Years
While setting timing I noticed that while I had set the dwell for 30 degrees, it gained a degree or two with increased RPM, then settled back at idle.
The points have less than 1500 miles on them, are positioned properly and the screws are tight. I've checked this with two different dwell meters.
Normal??
I would say "typical" of the factory parts of the day...........and especially after many years of service.

You can blueprint the distributor and perhaps make things better...............but not certain your car will notice the difference.

Years ago I used Mallory Rev-Pol and ACCEL racing distributor to correct this kind of issue, including some spark scatter. But in truth, although everything looked and functioned better, the 1/4 mile times really did not show it.

FWIW.

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 07-13-2018 at 02:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
After38Years (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 02:31 PM
vettepoor
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Not typical. I run a Delco vacuum advance distributor with points and dwell stays rock-steady at different rpms. Maybe bad bushings and/or too much end play.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:32 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,621 Likes on 1,953 Posts

You could have some bushing wear although if so, from your description it's probably not too bad yet. Bad bushing wear will result in dwell jumping all around as the motor is reved up although at idle it may be relatively stable. Or it could just be some variation as the centrifugal advance starts in due to the points plate movement. On a Plymouth I have, plugging in the vacuum advance after setting points results in a 2 deg change in dwell because of how the points plate is hinged to move when the vacuum can pulls it - it's not concentric with the shaft.

As long as it's just a couple of degrees and not jumping around randomly it's probably not worth losing any sleep over. But if it is bushing wear it will eventually get worse and start missing at higher RPM and require fixing.

Last edited by DansYellow66; 07-13-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:50 PM
After38Years
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks, I should have mentioned that the distributor is rebuilt and I've recently checked end play and bushings. All are good..
Old 07-13-2018, 04:18 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by vettepoor
Not typical. I run a Delco vacuum advance distributor with points and dwell stays rock-steady at different rpms. Maybe bad bushings and/or too much end play.
Is your distributor original and never been apart, or has it been rebuilt and/or the end gap shimmed??

Larry
Old 07-13-2018, 04:23 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

The GM spec for dwell variation is +/- two degrees. Normally it will drop off a bit at high revs, especially on SHP engines if you are not using the proper point set. However, on these ancient distributors cam wear may be an issue on some.

Duke
Old 07-13-2018, 07:07 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Check the battery in you dwell meter. Usually they don't get changed very often.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:37 PM
vettepoor
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Powershift
Is your distributor original and never been apart, or has it been rebuilt and/or the end gap shimmed??

Larry

Larry - As far as I know, my distributor is completely stock. I reconditioned it and shimmed the end gap, set dwell at 30* and it has always stayed consistent for the 15 years I’ve owned it. Only variation is when points wear down, affecting the dwell. I’ve never had one vary like the OP is experiencing.

Get notified of new replies

To Dwell Changes with RPM?

Quick Reply: [C2] Dwell Changes with RPM?