C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] 1959 Door Hinges

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 01:10 AM
kdnguyen
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 1959 Door Hinges

Dear Members,

I have a '59 and I put it in a body shop for painting. The car has some sagging on both doors. In the beginning the shop told me that they can adjust the doors, no problem. Now they told me that I need new door hinges (may be both doors). I don't have much knowledge on early Corvette. I asked have they taken the doors off yet or how can they tell me I need new hinges. They told me they adjusted at the bolts of the hinges. I am not sure this is correct way to do. I don't know will new door hinge pins/bushings will help the problem. Is there any other way someone can adjust the sagging? And if I need to buy new door hinges (more likely reconditioned one, not used one from eBay), I will have to buy it from a trusted online Company. Any suggestion to resolve this problem. Thank you in advance.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:45 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

I have seen very few C1 hinges that needed to be re pinned. The adjustment for the doors is done at the three bolts, on each hinge, in the door. There is a "sliding" nut plate that allows the door to be moved on the hinge. There is also a small amount of up/down adjustment at the hinge post, by loosening the two bolts at the forward part of the hinge (in the hole), and REMOVING the trim phillips head screws that are exposed in the jamb.

Open the door, and pull up on it....hard. if the door moves at the hinge, then you probably need pins. If you lift the car, then it is an adjustment. Body shimming also has a major effect on door fitment for a C1. Doesn't sound like you mechanic knows what they are doing.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:38 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 929 Likes on 531 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Mine needed new pins/bushings on the drivers side, easy to do. As for the adjustments, patience, and follow Mike’s advice.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:33 PM
kdnguyen
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mike coletta
I have seen very few C1 hinges that needed to be re pinned. The adjustment for the doors is done at the three bolts, on each hinge, in the door. There is a "sliding" nut plate that allows the door to be moved on the hinge. There is also a small amount of up/down adjustment at the hinge post, by loosening the two bolts at the forward part of the hinge (in the hole), and REMOVING the trim phillips head screws that are exposed in the jamb.

Open the door, and pull up on it....hard. if the door moves at the hinge, then you probably need pins. If you lift the car, then it is an adjustment. Body shimming also has a major effect on door fitment for a C1. Doesn't sound like you mechanic knows what they are doing.
Thank you all for your comments. Appreciate it.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:23 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

Most wear in the pin bushings occurs in the area of the bushing when the door is in the closed position or very close to it, not open. The best way to check is to have the hinge assembly out of the car and in your hands in the closed door position, the play will be obvious. If it's not out, have the door as close to being latched as possible and lift up on the latch side of the door.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:36 AM
ransome
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike coletta

My 1961 passenger door is sagging pretty good , one of the better shops told me that I also needed new hinges and that the old hinges can't adjusted anymore. Does that make sense? wouldn't new pins and bushings accomplish the same result.
thanks Gregg

Old 07-17-2018, 08:53 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

A pin and bushing kit is about $20 to do both doors, just do it!

The only reason to replace the door hinges would be if the bushings are so beat out that pins wrecked the support.

Yeah I know, waiting for replies from the hierarchy.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:01 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,421 Likes on 734 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Re bush them - easy repair
Old 07-18-2018, 01:15 AM
Larry P
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

If your mechanic said you need new hinges, I would find another shop.
Advice above is correct. I used the adjustments available on the hinges and washers between the bolts to adjust the fit.
At worst a pin set is most you should need.
Larry

Get notified of new replies

To 1959 Door Hinges

Quick Reply: [C1] 1959 Door Hinges