C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1957 Trans mount spacers

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 05:51 PM
PattiR
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Default 1957 Trans mount spacers

How do I know if I need any spacers at the trans mount?
I am returning the '57 to its 4 speed (Muncie) and the PO who put in a "66 or so aluminum PG had no spacers and a weird trans mount.
I have put in a std. crossmember and have no idea how to assess whether or not I need any spacers. Help and suggestions will be appreciated.
Also everything is bolted up except for the driveshaft and I have .40 clutch release measured at the disc. Is this enough? I know that SWCDuke says .480.
I have not yet hooked up the driveshaft but wonder if the is enough clearance for the Muncie trans. Also, the clutch pedal comes back about 1/2 in short and needs to be pulled back with my toe to get the clearance for the TO bearing. I was thinking about another return spring to clear the TO bearing from the clutch fingers.
Any thoughts, something that I am missing about this install?
Thanks,
Dennis
Old 07-17-2018, 10:30 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

You might need a spacer to get enough clearance between the drive shaft and the tunnel . I had to make a spacer to keep my drive shaft from rubbing the tunnel .
The following users liked this post:
PattiR (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 10:52 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Dennis,
IF YOU HAVE A MUNCIE IN YOUR CAR, here is what you need.
You need the factory stock transmission cross member, with stock rubber mount, which bolts to the frame X-member with 2 bolts/nuts on each side.
You need the factory stock 62 (ONE YEAR ONLY) rear mount plate-------------------which is available from all the aftermarket Corvette vendors (Corvette Central, Paragon, etc) for about $20.
Because of the difference in the mount pad on 57-61 transmission tail housings and the mount pad on the Muncie tail housing, the transmission cross member needs to be dropped about 1in. I did this using 1in square tubing and longer bolts.
All of this is shown below.

These cars came from the factory with somewhat extreme U-joint angles.
An additional benefit of dropping the rear of the transmission is that it will lessen the severe angle of the U-joints.

Last edited by DZAUTO; 07-17-2018 at 10:54 PM.
PattiR (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 11:27 PM
PattiR
Racer

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Dennis,
IF YOU HAVE A MUNCIE IN YOUR CAR, here is what you need.
You need the factory stock transmission cross member, with stock rubber mount, which bolts to the frame X-member with 2 bolts/nuts on each side.
You need the factory stock 62 (ONE YEAR ONLY) rear mount plate-------------------which is available from all the aftermarket Corvette vendors (Corvette Central, Paragon, etc) for about $20.
Because of the difference in the mount pad on 57-61 transmission tail housings and the mount pad on the Muncie tail housing, the transmission cross member needs to be dropped about 1in. I did this using 1in square tubing and longer bolts.
All of this is shown below.

These cars came from the factory with somewhat extreme U-joint angles.
An additional benefit of dropping the rear of the transmission is that it will lessen the severe angle of the U-joints.
Tom,
Thanks for the info. I was concerned about the drive line angle as well. This mount adjustment seems to fix that problem as well.
Dennis
Old 07-17-2018, 11:31 PM
PattiR
Racer

Originally Posted by bj1k
You might need a spacer to get enough clearance between the drive shaft and the tunnel . I had to make a spacer to keep my drive shaft from rubbing the tunnel .
bj1k,
Thanks for the info. Looks like you and DZAUTO were on the same wavelength for my issue. I thought it was going to be too close. So off to the metal shop tomorrow for some square stock and longer bolts!
Dennis
Old 07-18-2018, 01:40 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by PattiR
bj1k,
Thanks for the info. Looks like you and DZAUTO were on the same wavelength for my issue. I thought it was going to be too close. So off to the metal shop tomorrow for some square stock and longer bolts!
Dennis
I took the Bubba approach and just used oversized nuts that the bolts would drop through; about 5/8"/3/4" thick
Bill
PattiR (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 09:12 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by wmf62
I took the Bubba approach and just used oversized nuts that the bolts would drop through; about 5/8"/3/4" thick
Bill
That absolutely will work! The goal is to drop the rear of the transmission tail housing. So whatever works is fine.
PattiR (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 11:18 AM
PattiR
Racer

Bill
Well, My neighbor does call me Bubba!

Dennis
Old 07-19-2018, 03:44 PM
PattiR
Racer

Default trans dropped in place

Bill
Bill,
Thanks for the great solution. I got the nuts for spacers and bolts and hardware for the hookup at 11:00am today and had the job finished by 1:30pm. Thanks also go to DZAUTO for info and DZVETTE for his Muncie wranglin' saddle that he made for me.
Thanks to all.

Dennis

Get notified of new replies

To 1957 Trans mount spacers

Quick Reply: 1957 Trans mount spacers