C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Problem with '67 heater core inlets

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 08:49 PM
tubman
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Problem with '67 heater core inlets

Today I had occasion to pull the heater hoses off the heater core on my '67 L79. (I needed to install the inner ignition shielding over the two rear spark plugs and the hoses were tight in the way.) The car was restored about 10 years ago and a new heater core was (supposedly) installed. The hoses came off quite easily, so I don't think I damaged anything in the process, but the upper connection was very oval shaped (See the attached picture). This hose has never leaked, but I have to believe that this outlet should be round (like the bottom one). I think I am going to take a pair of pliers and try to get this to be closer to round. Does anyone see a problem with this, and/or have a better alternative to reshaping it? I can't believe that it's supposed to be this way, but as I said it wasn't leaking and I sure don't want t start one.

Sorry about the picture quality, but all I had was my old cell phone and it's kinda cramped in there. At first it may appear that the photo is distorted, but it's not and the pipe is as deformed as it looks in the picture

Last edited by tubman; 07-18-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:52 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

It's covered by the hoses, isn't it?

I'd leave it alone.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:09 PM
elwood13
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,078 Posts

I just pulled the heater core out of mine. Don’t remember it leaking nor my brother ever mentioning it.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:23 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

If it bothers you permetex makes a RTV just for coolant applications around hoses and out lets. Put a small bead around it and put the hoses on and clamps and forget about it
Old 07-18-2018, 09:34 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

It looks like someone cut the end of the outlet. If you really want to fix it, use Channel Locks on the very end and round it out. Dennis
Old 07-20-2018, 04:55 AM
tubman
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Just to put a cap on this, I merely inserted the handle of a 1/4" ratchet into the opening and rotated it a couple of times. The opening rounded out perfectly. The material is pretty malleable. Because it was so easy and came out so well, I'm glad I did it. I had a more difficult time removing the spring clamp from this connection when I removed the hoses, which was probably due to the distorted tube. The end of the outlet had not been cut off, as it was the same length as the other outlet and had the raised ridge around the end.

Get notified of new replies

To Problem with '67 heater core inlets

Quick Reply: [C2] Problem with '67 heater core inlets