C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] 64 convertible

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 06:02 PM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 64 convertible

Forgive me in advance; I have not work on any mid year steering system. I am helping a club member install a borgeson box conversion into his 64 convertible. I've installed a lot of this on C3, during the installation the steering shaft has to be shorten. To do this just take a piece of wood for protection on the spline and hammer it back until the desire length is obtain. On the 64, the entire steering shaft is pushed inside the car. So I am thinking the steering shaft is a one piece solid rod with spline to the stock rag joint. Is this the case on the 64 steering shaft?
Thank you in advance.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:14 PM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 448 Likes on 205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

'67 was first year for collapsible shaft. Prior is solid steel. You will have to cut and re-spline.

George
Old 07-19-2018, 07:10 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

You will have to cut the shaft, but not re-spline. The splines should go far enough to still use. The instructions are included with the kit, did you get those?
The following users liked this post:
newbie2vette (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 07:21 PM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

This is with the box temp mount and the rag joint.
Originally Posted by 65GGvert
You will have to cut the shaft, but not re-spline. The splines should go far enough to still use. The instructions are included with the kit, did you get those?
Yes, but all I read was need to modify, I assess that's what they were talking about (cutting it). thank you! I have some work to do. Okay, I got the steering column like it should be in the cockpit and temp mount the borgeson box with the rag joint mounted on the box to get an idea just how much I need to cut. As you can see from the photo, the red line is where I need to cut to have room for the rag joint and connect the box and steering column. The big issue I see; the cut will be pass the spline area of the steering column. Has anyone who made this power steering MOD experience this or I just cut it and have it spline? Is this correct steering column for this car? I asked that because whoever restored this car did it cheap and use parts. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Last edited by newbie2vette; 07-21-2018 at 10:17 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 64 convertible

Quick Reply: [C2] 64 convertible