C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Clutch, Brake pedal pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 02:02 PM
Nick Bernier
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Clutch, Brake pedal pads

Hi all,
My '57 was missing the clutch pedal pad when I bought it, so I ordered two; 1 for the clutch and 1 for the brake. See the pic for what was sent. Matt at Corvette America looked at the picture and tried to find the right one but said the small, oval looking one I'm holding is the correct one. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Thanks,
Nick

Old 07-20-2018, 02:26 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,092 Likes on 1,861 Posts

Looks exactly like the ones that Paragon offers. Are you sure the pedals, themselves, are correct? There are plenty of '57 experts here that will chime in.

https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-35...pedal-pad.aspx
Old 07-20-2018, 02:28 PM
Nick Bernier
Instructor

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
Looks exactly like the ones that Paragon offers. Are you sure the pedals, themselves, are correct? There are plenty of '57 experts here that will chime in.

https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-35...pedal-pad.aspx
After owning it for a week, I'm not sure about anything yet !!

Thanks,
Nick
Old 07-20-2018, 02:29 PM
tfvesquire
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts

Hi Nick:

I just ordered a replacement for my 60 and it is most likely the same size you need. GM pad no. 3744748. The Ebay listing was for an Impalla so the price was only $6 for the pad and $5 shipping charges. If you do a search for the exact same pad for a Corvette, it will cost you 2-3 times as much for just one. I think Corvette Central sells them as well for a reasonable price.

Good luck.

Ted
Old 07-20-2018, 02:46 PM
Nick Bernier
Instructor

Originally Posted by tfvesquire
Hi Nick:

I just ordered a replacement for my 60 and it is most likely the same size you need. GM pad no. 3744748. The Ebay listing was for an Impalla so the price was only $6 for the pad and $5 shipping charges. If you do a search for the exact same pad for a Corvette, it will cost you 2-3 times as much for just one. I think Corvette Central sells them as well for a reasonable price.

Good luck.

Ted
Thanks Ted. I just ordered the one that was left. Couldn't tell if the one is a pair, or just the one??
Nick
Old 07-20-2018, 03:27 PM
PattiR
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Bernier

Thanks,
Nick
Nick,
I'm pretty sure that the new pedal pad is correct.( although your supplier could have sent the longer automatic brake pedal pad by mistake, but I doubt it) Hard to tell about the clutch pedal in a picture, but it looks right to me. The pad fit is extremely tight. The pad has to be stretched over the pedal and snapped over the pedal edge. I use a small round bar or a small Philips head screwdriver and a little soap around the edges to put mine on. (I also have a '57) you have to get two corners on and then go to work to stretch the other two corners and snap the back of the pedal pad edge on.
I'm sure the brake pad on the brake pedal is wrong. The two pedals(brake and clutch) are mirror images. So until you take the brake pad off to see what you've got, I'm only guessing about the brake arm . If the clutch pedal pivot arm goes through the brake pedal, and the brake pedal is the same as the clutch, then you probably have the right pedals and one new pad. But these cars are 60+ years old, and people make some odd changes over the years.
Was the car an original std . shift? If the pivot ball and tower on the frame and the gorilla spring tab is down further on the frame then it probably was original std. shift. Check the pictures of clutch linkage and the pedals in the catalogs or on the websites of the supplier that you buy from and see if it matches what you have in your car.

Also look at the clutch section of the Assembly Instruction Manual also referred to as A.I.M. Its the instruction book for the assembly of the car. If you don't have one get one quick!
It may be that someone did a conversion using a passenger car clutch and brake pedal setup. I don't know if passenger car clutch and brake setup is the same.
Others will chime in with pictures to match to as well. These guys on the forum are very helpful.

Oh! And welcome to the forum and to the Corvette community if this is your first Corvette!
Good luck,
Dennis

Old 07-20-2018, 03:39 PM
Nick Bernier
Instructor

Originally Posted by PattiR
Nick,
I'm pretty sure that the new pedal pad is correct.( although your supplier could have sent the longer automatic brake pedal pad by mistake, but I doubt it) Hard to tell about the clutch pedal in a picture, but it looks right to me. The pad fit is extremely tight. The pad has to be stretched over the pedal and snapped over the pedal edge. I use a small round bar or a small Philips head screwdriver and a little soap around the edges to put mine on. (I also have a '57) you have to get two corners on and then go to work to stretch the other two corners and snap the back of the pedal pad edge on.
I'm sure the brake pad on the brake pedal is wrong. The two pedals(brake and clutch) are mirror images. So until you take the brake pad off to see what you've got, I'm only guessing about the brake arm . If the clutch pedal pivot arm goes through the brake pedal, and the brake pedal is the same as the clutch, then you probably have the right pedals and one new pad. But these cars are 60+ years old, and people make some odd changes over the years.
Was the car an original std . shift? If the pivot ball and tower on the frame and the gorilla spring tab is down further on the frame then it probably was original std. shift. Check the pictures of clutch linkage and the pedals in the catalogs or on the websites of the supplier that you buy from and see if it matches what you have in your car.

Also look at the clutch section of the Assembly Instruction Manual also referred to as A.I.M. Its the instruction book for the assembly of the car. If you don't have one get one quick!
It may be that someone did a conversion using a passenger car clutch and brake pedal setup. I don't know if passenger car clutch and brake setup is the same.
Others will chime in with pictures to match to as well. These guys on the forum are very helpful.

Oh! And welcome to the forum and to the Corvette community if this is your first Corvette!
Good luck,
Dennis
Thanks Dennis. I have the book on order from NCRS. I'll try to match up what I have linkage-wise to what is in the catalogues.
Thanks,
Nick
Old 07-20-2018, 03:55 PM
PattiR
Racer

Hi all,
My '57 was missing the clutch pedal pad when I bought it, so I ordered two; 1 for the clutch and 1 for the brake. See the pic for what was sent. Matt at Corvette America looked at the picture and tried to find the right one but said the small, oval looking one I'm holding is the correct one. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Thanks,
Nick
Nick,
You got my curiosity up so I went out and measured the pedals on my '57. They measure close to 3 1/2 wide inches by 2 inches tall. Also I don't have those 2 ridges on the pedals that yours has. So if yours measure this I would say they are correct. But, GM was notorious for making running changes to keep the line going so you may have an oddball pedal set.
Again,
good luck,
Dennis
Old 07-20-2018, 04:04 PM
Nick Bernier
Instructor

Originally Posted by PattiR
Nick,
You got my curiosity up so I went out and measured the pedals on my '57. They measure close to 3 1/2 wide inches by 2 inches tall. Also I don't have those 2 ridges on the pedals that yours has. So if yours measure this I would say they are correct. But, GM was notorious for making running changes to keep the line going so you may have an oddball pedal set.
Again,
good luck,
Dennis
Interesting....I have the pad that I'm holding in the picture with me and it measures 3 1/2" by 2". Ain't no way it's going to stretch over that pedal. Mine is serial number 174, so it's pretty new in the production line. Will check linkages later.
Thanks,
Nick
Old 07-20-2018, 04:19 PM
PattiR
Racer

Interesting....I have the pad that I'm holding in the picture with me and it measures 3 1/2" by 2". Ain't no way it's going to stretch over that pedal. Mine is serial number 174, so it's pretty new in the production line. Will check linkages later.
Thanks,
Nick
Well, you need someone with more expertise than I have. But rest assured they will come and help.
There are very knowledgeable and long memoried people who may chime in for you.
Best of luck,
Dennis
Old 07-20-2018, 04:20 PM
C.T.
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 132 Posts

The pedal pad you're holding is correct, but the pedal itself? Don't think so.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:32 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Not a Corvette expert, but the square pad is late '60's Camaro/Chevelle, and the pedals probably are, too.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:10 PM
tomy62
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

What you are holding is certainly very close to stock ‘57 3 and 4 speed pedal pads. I hafta say though that the pedal set looks to be from ‘58-‘62 C1. I am surprised the pedal assume fits. Anyway, that’s what it looks like to me. Lotsa things happen to these cars over the years.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:18 AM
Nick Bernier
Instructor

Originally Posted by tomy62
What you are holding is certainly very close to stock ‘57 3 and 4 speed pedal pads. I hafta say though that the pedal set looks to be from ‘58-‘62 C1. I am surprised the pedal assume fits. Anyway, that’s what it looks like to me. Lotsa things happen to these cars over the years.
Thanks for all the input. It appears that my car was born an automatic and someone converted it to a 4-speed. It all kind of adds up now: the shifter plate holding the ashtray was drilled differently than stock, from underneath, the cutout for the shifter looks too rough to be stock. Any way to tell exactly what serial number 174 was born with?

Thanks again.
Nick
Old 07-21-2018, 08:33 AM
C.T.
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 132 Posts

Thanks for all the input. It appears that my car was born an automatic and someone converted it to a 4-speed. It all kind of adds up now: the shifter plate holding the ashtray was drilled differently than stock, from underneath, the cutout for the shifter looks too rough to be stock. Any way to tell exactly what serial number 174 was born with?

Thanks again.
Nick
Yours would be E57S100174, with a small aluminum plate so stating between the left door hinges. Easy to see when you open the door.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:24 AM
Nick Bernier
Instructor

Originally Posted by C.T.
Yours would be E57S100174, with a small aluminum plate so stating between the left door hinges. Easy to see when you open the door.
Correct.
Nick
Old 07-21-2018, 11:05 AM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,092 Likes on 1,861 Posts

Thanks again.
Nick
Nick,
If you're asking will the VIN number decode the original driveline confinguration, the answer is "NO". Your VIN will tell you nothing about the driveline or any other optional equipment that originally came with you car.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch, Brake pedal pads

Old 07-21-2018, 11:34 AM
Nick Bernier
Instructor

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
Nick,
If you're asking will the VIN number decode the original driveline confinguration, the answer is "NO". Your VIN will tell you nothing about the driveline or any other optional equipment that originally came with you car.
Yes. That didn't come until some years later. I was wondering if there was a registry or record somewhere that kept track of what serial numbers had what options.
Thanks,
Nick
Old 07-21-2018, 03:28 PM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 245 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Thanks,
Nick
I've been doing this for 3+ months now and I'm just starting to get a handle on what is right and what is wrong with my 62. It's been a very enjoyable learning curve and I'm still a huge rookie, but the dots are becoming easier to connect. All I can say is previous owners sure do lazy and stupid maintenance to their corvettes over the years. Enjoy!

BH
Old 07-21-2018, 03:47 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,513 Likes on 2,999 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by tomy62
Yep. It looks like someone swapped in the pedal hanger from a later C1, which takes a larger pad. The pad they sent is correct for '57 style pedal hanger assembly.

Quick Reply: Clutch, Brake pedal pads