C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Racing (like) seat belt harness or bar behind seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 08:33 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 471 Posts

Default Racing (like) seat belt harness or bar behind seats

Who has put together something short of a roll bar to put performance racing type seat belts in a C2? Interested in ideas. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:33 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,513 Likes on 2,999 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

It's not really a good idea to have a racing harness (meaning shoulder straps in addition to the lap belt) unless you also have a roll bar. Reason being that if you go upside down, that harness will keep you upright in your seat and your head will hold up the car.... for a while, anyway.
The following users liked this post:
Roger Walling (07-14-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 12:03 AM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
It's not really a good idea to have a racing harness (meaning shoulder straps in addition to the lap belt) unless you also have a roll bar. Reason being that if you go upside down, that harness will keep you upright in your seat and your head will hold up the car.... for a while, anyway.
well considering your experience, I know you know....but if i use a 3 point seat belt arrangement, then wouldn't that do the same...i will see if there is a way to put in a 4 point interior frame, roll bar like, (realizing it wont be sanctioning body approved)...in a SRIII Frame.....at this point....without too much aggregation...but dont belive it will be easy...
Old 07-09-2018, 01:36 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

It can be done in a coupe with SRIII frame....and it is a legal roll bar set up....

Old 07-09-2018, 01:37 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

Removable bar.....
Old 07-09-2018, 07:59 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by vjjack04
...but if i use a 3 point seat belt arrangement, then wouldn't that do the same..
I'm not a fan of adding even a 3 point belt/harness system to an old Corvette. Yes, I think it would have the tendency to do the same thing a full racing harness would do. I also think you could argue that you could tilt sideways (if you have the time!) and avoid being trapped upright.

Regardless, I believe adding any such restraint system to an old Corvette gives a false sense of security and safety. There is no (practical) way to know ahead of time that you are actually better off.

Jim
Old 07-09-2018, 11:05 AM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

I'm not a fan of adding even a 3 point belt/harness system to an old Corvette. Yes, I think it would have the tendency to do the same thing a full racing harness would do. I also think you could argue that you could tilt sideways (if you have the time!) and avoid being trapped upright.

Regardless, I believe adding any such restraint system to an old Corvette gives a false sense of security and safety. There is no (practical) way to know ahead of time that you are actually better off.

Jim
Interesting. So I have an SRIII frame, LS3, and C6 suspension all the way around. I can "track" the car at several places and want to do high speed auto cross (like the Good Guys events). Most folks say I need at least a factory 3 point harness like a newer corvette. I know I can do that, but was looking for a way of adding a little more safety, but if not practical (without a full SCCA roll cage), I will have to do what the factory type set up.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:07 AM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by firstgear
It can be done in a coupe with SRIII frame....and it is a legal roll bar set up....

Thanks for the info. Do you have any more pictures such as how the two front bars mount to the floor? Also you obviously have it bolted to the frame at the back, any pictures of references for that? Thanks.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:44 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Interesting. So I have an SRIII frame, LS3, and C6 suspension all the way around. I can "track" the car at several places and want to do high speed auto cross (like the Good Guys events). Most folks say I need at least a factory 3 point harness like a newer corvette. I know I can do that, but was looking for a way of adding a little more safety, but if not practical (without a full SCCA roll cage), I will have to do what the factory type set up.
An SCCA cage means different things to different people. If you intend to drive the car on the street, I can understand why you wouldn't want a cage with side bars, forward down bars, etc. However, since you say you do want to track the car, IMHO, you really, really ought to consider a roll hoop with rear bracing (like in the pictures), a harness bar, and laterally triangulated bracing. This would be the minimum amount of roll protection I'd accept in any car I planned to track.

Have you ever been on track in a car with only a 3 point harness? I have and it was the scariest ride of my life. 3 point harnesses do nothing to locate you laterally and there is no anti-sub provision. You'll get tossed around every time the car changes direction. That's bad enough if you are a passenger but if you are driving, you'll have a hard time maintaining vehicle control.

5 (or 6) point racing harness will keep you located and you'll be better able to control the vehicle. And, trust me on this, no matter how chest-compressingly tight you make the belts in the paddock, after you go around turn 1, you'll be reaching for the straps to make them even tighter. I guarantee it.

Jim
Old 07-09-2018, 03:18 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

An SCCA cage means different things to different people. If you intend to drive the car on the street, I can understand why you wouldn't want a cage with side bars, forward down bars, etc. However, since you say you do want to track the car, IMHO, you really, really ought to consider a roll hoop with rear bracing (like in the pictures), a harness bar, and laterally triangulated bracing. This would be the minimum amount of roll protection I'd accept in any car I planned to track.

Have you ever been on track in a car with only a 3 point harness? I have and it was the scariest ride of my life. 3 point harnesses do nothing to locate you laterally and there is no anti-sub provision. You'll get tossed around every time the car changes direction. That's bad enough if you are a passenger but if you are driving, you'll have a hard time maintaining vehicle control.

5 (or 6) point racing harness will keep you located and you'll be better able to control the vehicle. And, trust me on this, no matter how chest-compressingly tight you make the belts in the paddock, after you go around turn 1, you'll be reaching for the straps to make them even tighter. I guarantee it.

Jim
Jim,
Interesting. I will consider the bars like in the picture. The guys I speak to (who own stock newer corvettes) "track" their cars with the factory seat belts....and they run them pretty hard. I know they aren't racing, but the drive them relatively hard. I need to consider what I really want to do with this thing once I get it running and ready for the road. I will consider the points you've made.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:57 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Jim,
Interesting. I will consider the bars like in the picture. The guys I speak to (who own stock newer corvettes) "track" their cars with the factory seat belts....and they run them pretty hard.
I don't doubt that at all. I wouldn't do it, though. If the factory belts are mere 3 point systems, those guys (and girls) are taking chances I wouldn't accept.

I know they aren't racing, but the drive them relatively hard. I need to consider what I really want to do with this thing once I get it running and ready for the road. I will consider the points you've made.
Wise words!
Old 07-09-2018, 04:26 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

Thanks for the info. Do you have any more pictures such as how the two front bars mount to the floor? Also you obviously have it bolted to the frame at the back, any pictures of references for that? Thanks.
there are pads welded to the frame, the roll bar mounts to those pads. Right now a few are just tack welded and once the body comes off will be fully welded.

this was made removable to allow the car to be taken apart and put back together again.

I don’t have other photos right now as I am in Maine and the car is in my shop in Ohio. I will be back next weekend and can see what other photos I have. The guy that fabricated the roll bar was http://rollcageguy.com/

He makes sure that he adheres to rules of the sanctioning body. He has a small shop but does a really nice job as you can see. I took my car to him and after about 4 to 6 weeks he called and said it was completed! He had some other C5’s there where he was putting full cages in them for running one mile shot outs...cars had twin turbos!

I was was really pleased with his work and even more pleased with the cost....under $1,000!
Old 07-09-2018, 04:30 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

Don’t forget those new Corvettes have other things like crash crumble zones, side bar impact rails, air bags....in your restomod you only have your seat belt! Big difference!
Old 07-09-2018, 05:56 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Don’t forget those new Corvettes have other things like crash crumble zones, side bar impact rails, air bags....in your restomod you only have your seat belt! Big difference!
Good point! And even with 5 point harness and a full cage, our old crocks are likely not as safe.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:40 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

I can appreciate those obvious points, thanks. My perspective in posting this is to explore options based on my parameters. As you can imagine, I am not trying to make the car new or a race car. I am looking for some perspective based on points of view of those who have done or really looked at doing what I am trying to do (at end state).....to tell you the truth, I am trying to see what folks' thoughts are on "good enough"...Thanks for the info on the roll bar.

Last edited by vjjack04; 07-09-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:04 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,026 Likes on 1,249 Posts

After sliding around the seat for years while auto crossing my 67 convertible, I installed a belt bar behind the seats. I copied what a friend had done to his 67 ragtop. Now the 4-point belts hold me tightly in the seat and cut my times several seconds per lap. I had a performance auto shop fab it up for me. I've run in hundreds of auto crosses over the past 13 years and have never seen a car flip onto its roof, although I suppose it's theoretically possible, but the chance is negligible --- esp. for a low car like a Vette. I would definitely not use these belts to track a car around Laguna Seca!

Lou

The following 2 users liked this post by LouieM:
Loren Smith (07-12-2018), wmf62 (07-12-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 06:41 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LouieM
After sliding around the seat for years while auto crossing my 67 convertible, I installed a belt bar behind the seats. I copied what a friend had done to his 67 ragtop. Now the 4-point belts hold me tightly in the seat and cut my times several seconds per lap. I had a performance auto shop fab it up for me. I've run in hundreds of auto crosses over the past 13 years and have never seen a car flip onto its roof, although I suppose it's theoretically possible, but the chance is negligible --- esp. for a low car like a Vette. I would definitely not use these belts to track a car around Laguna Seca!

Lou

Interesting...its hard for me to tell where its bolted....I have my interior out. I will look to see if that helps me determine where.

Get notified of new replies

To Racing (like) seat belt harness or bar behind seats

Old 07-13-2018, 08:27 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,026 Likes on 1,249 Posts

Interesting...its hard for me to tell where its bolted....I have my interior out. I will look to see if that helps me determine where.
The bar is held on by the same two bolts on each side that hold the soft top frame onto the car. Simple. Try to mount the left-right cross bar as high as possible to fit below the rear deck cover, so the shoulder belts fit as well as possible.

Lou
Old 07-14-2018, 02:16 AM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LouieM
The bar is held on by the same two bolts on each side that hold the soft top frame onto the car. Simple. Try to mount the left-right cross bar as high as possible to fit below the rear deck cover, so the shoulder belts fit as well as possible.

Lou
Ok, I understand...I have a coupe but I think that I could figure something out.

Last edited by vjjack04; 07-14-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:24 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,589 Likes on 661 Posts

I had 5 point harness in my street car and took them out because of that same reason.
Besides that, you can not turn around to see things with the 5 point.

Quick Reply: Racing (like) seat belt harness or bar behind seats