C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] R&P worn suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 02:20 AM
Eric Sakai
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default R&P worn suspension

with R&P installed and driving to alignment shop, steering wheel play was gone, but going over ruff road steering wheel jumped left to right 1-or-2 inches very hard and sharp. Alignment shop said cannot do alignment because front suspension badly worn out.
to do full rebuild I wanted to change the bushing in the spring tower for the crossshaft.
can this be done without removing front crossmember?
otherwise, is it better to: 1) use propane torch or 2) use cutoff wheel and drill out bolt?
the 16 bolts holding crossmember cannot come out. I can remove nut on bottom but bolt does not move from heavy hammer.
thanks,
Eric
Old 07-21-2018, 02:39 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Eric Sakai
with R&P installed and driving to alignment shop, steering wheel play was gone, but going over ruff road steering wheel jumped left to right 1-or-2 inches very hard and sharp. Alignment shop said cannot do alignment because front suspension badly worn out.
to do full rebuild I wanted to change the bushing in the spring tower for the crossshaft.
can this be done without removing front crossmember?
otherwise, is it better to: 1) use propane torch or 2) use cutoff wheel and drill out bolt?
the 16 bolts holding crossmember cannot come out. I can remove nut on bottom but bolt does not move from heavy hammer.
thanks,
Eric
I hear what you are saying, but unless someone has done something funky to those bolts, they should easily come out or the crossmember should simply fall down off the bolts
Bill
Old 07-21-2018, 06:40 AM
Drothgeb
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

I did my front suspension a few months ago. And it cetainly didn’t fall apart once the nuts were off. But after some gentle persuasion with a big hammer and pry bar it finally gave up.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:39 AM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 245 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Can a proper front end rebuild take place without removing the cross member?

BH
Old 07-21-2018, 01:05 PM
Donald #31176
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 62cruiseer
Can a proper front end rebuild take place without removing the cross member?

BH
In Erics case no. The inserts in the crossmembe are worn and the upper inner shaft is probably wobbly when side force in applied. The crossmember needs to come out and a pair of bushing on both sides need to be aligned and installed in order for the upper inner shaft to be tight. If the inserts were not worn then a complete rebuild can be done without removing the crossmember.
The following users liked this post:
Dreaming60’s (07-21-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To R&P worn suspension

Quick Reply: [C1] R&P worn suspension