C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Car Shows

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 09:23 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

Sounds like a silly phrase. Then again, car shows around here are pretty silly. Park for hours, open your hood so everyone can see your engine. I don't get it.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:33 PM
Chummy85623
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by fyreline
"Reserve Best of Show" is judge-speak for "Buy your own damn trophy".

I've been showing my 1962 for about five years, and have a shelf full of trophies. The one that means the most to me is a crude little piece of tree branch hand-carved by one of our service veterans and awarded at a show our local Corvette Club puts on annually at an outreach & rehab facility to benefit the vets. It means more to me than a lot of the fancier trophies, and more than makes up for any awards I didn't get. Let's do this for the right reasons, folks. It ain't about the hardware - it's about the smiles on faces, the friends we make, the memories we invoke, and the sheer joy of sharing the cars we love with like-minded crazy people.

P.S. - My very favorite part of any car show is listening to the young guy with his girlfriend, as he tries to impress her with his vast store of automotive knowledge . . . you know the guy, he tells her, "Yeah, my buddy used to have one of the really rare steel-bodied ones", or "See that hardtop? That's wrong for this car - they only made convertibles." I just nod and smile, and tell them to enjoy the show. After all, the guy may have half a promise for later, and I don't want to rain on his parade. It does get a little tiresome when people continually want to tell you that you should drop a 427 in it and "Then you'd really have something.", or, "I bet you wish it was red - it would be worth a lot more." Oh, well. I still enjoy the car show experience, and occasionally you'll get someone who really wants to ask some intelligent questions. With any luck, he's a lot younger than me. That's the future of our hobby folks. Get out there and be an ambassador for it.

LOVE the fawn beige. My car once was and may be again some day.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:33 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,489 Likes on 1,644 Posts

If you go to a car show in the hopes of expecting a "fair" judging process IMCO you're accepting a disappointing outcome. Most of these local shows the winners are predetermined. Go to have fun, meet people, look at the cars, and fill out your information card "for display only". Hopefully you leave with a smile and don't have to ponder what might have/should have been. There's no justice and it's never going to change. There's enough threads here over the years that support it.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:17 AM
Bill Pilon
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by randy ransome
The show we went to a brand new, Completely Stock, 2019 ZR1 won. I thought that was odd...how do you judge a brand new car?
It seems like that is the norm now, hell they got the originality part locked up.

Bill
Old 07-24-2018, 09:41 AM
randy ransome
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 208 Posts
Winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

Originally Posted by Bill Pilon
It seems like that is the norm now, hell they got the originality part locked up.

Bill
Yeah, original owner and all.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:43 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by Chapter2
Sounds like a silly phrase. Then again, car shows around here are pretty silly. Park for hours, open your hood so everyone can see your engine. I don't get it.
You don't get it because you've seen an engine. many of those attending have never seen anything under their hood accept a bunch of plastic covers. People show their engines because other people want to see them, and because they want others to see how nice and clean their engine compartment is. Many of those engines we're built before the spectators were even born. I don't understand why people who don't like to show their cars off are down on those who do. Must be like liberals, if you don't agree with them you're wrong and evil. Or maybe it's just because their engines don't really look all that nice.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 07-24-2018 at 09:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
KTJx2 (07-26-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 10:48 AM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
You don't get it because you've seen an engine. many of those attending have never seen anything under their hood accept a bunch of plastic covers. People show their engines because other people want to see them, and because they want others to see how nice and clean their engine compartment is. Many of those engines we're built before the spectators were even born. I don't understand why people who don't like to show their cars off are down on those who do. Must be like liberals, if you don't agree with them you're wrong and evil. Or maybe it's just because their engines don't really look all that nice.
I agree with ya. I dont think there's anything wrong about showing off a nice engine bay. I like looking at them, like showing mine. Some are so nice it is mind blowing.
What I dont understand is folks getting upset when their car is not selected as a "winner" and a VW bug or 2018 Mustang wins. It is an exercise in futility.
I learned not to enter these rigged shows 40 years ago. Early morning cars n coffee is where its at nowadays.
BTW regarding the liberal comparison I dont think they admire vintage and custom cars or any expression of individualism. Most of them if given the chance would probably outlaw our cars and prefer you drive a Prius.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:03 AM
big block ken
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 105 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
I've been showing Corvettes for nearly 40 years, and seen my share of sore losers, who never bothered to look at their competition. They rev their engine loudly 10 times before parking, set up their chair, polish it (often overdone by the wife who thinks it's a beauty pageant, and takes it much too seriously), and don't leave the chair to meet others (not even talking to the person parked next to them). It's all about them. And those who spend big bucks for paint, but they don't raise the hood because it's a mess under there. I enjoy owning and showing off a classic, original Corvette that doesn't have a chrome dipstick, instead of a newer one (which I've also owned) with plastic rocker covers that match the paint. And we know that they pretty much all look alike if stock. A Top Flight, one family owned, "time capsule" serves a real purpose in being used as a reference to others who are restoring theirs. And I can speak from experience that those awards (especially NCRS and AACA) can increase the value of that car tremendously at sale time. Just don't be a douche and put a trophy in front of your car at the show to prove what a "winner" you are! ...And some of us liberals really like to show our cars! And I don't think you're evil (just wrong sometimes!).

1966 original 427/390 with 91k miles
rusty50 (08-03-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 11:23 AM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Well said, big_block_ken!
Old 07-25-2018, 12:29 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by fyreline
"Reserve Best of Show" is judge-speak for "Buy your own damn trophy".

I've been showing my 1962 for about five years, and have a shelf full of trophies. The one that means the most to me is a crude little piece of tree branch hand-carved by one of our service veterans and awarded at a show our local Corvette Club puts on annually at an outreach & rehab facility to benefit the vets. It means more to me than a lot of the fancier trophies, and more than makes up for any awards I didn't get. Let's do this for the right reasons, folks. It ain't about the hardware - it's about the smiles on faces, the friends we make, the memories we invoke, and the sheer joy of sharing the cars we love with like-minded crazy people.

P.S. - My very favorite part of any car show is listening to the young guy with his girlfriend, as he tries to impress her with his vast store of automotive knowledge . . . you know the guy, he tells her, "Yeah, my buddy used to have one of the really rare steel-bodied ones", or "See that hardtop? That's wrong for this car - they only made convertibles." I just nod and smile, and tell them to enjoy the show. After all, the guy may have half a promise for later, and I don't want to rain on his parade. It does get a little tiresome when people continually want to tell you that you should drop a 427 in it and "Then you'd really have something.", or, "I bet you wish it was red - it would be worth a lot more." Oh, well. I still enjoy the car show experience, and occasionally you'll get someone who really wants to ask some intelligent questions. With any luck, he's a lot younger than me. That's the future of our hobby folks. Get out there and be an ambassador for it.

Beautiful car. Beautifully displayed too....with hood closed! :-) I must be a liberal. LOL.
fyreline (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 04:23 AM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 161 Posts

I take my "64 Coupe to many shows, it's highly original and gets a lot of people looking, but most don't really know these cars, only the iconic shape. I get the most reward when someone who is knowledgeble comes by and sees the car for what it is and stops to take in all the details, that makes it worth while.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:52 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Get over it IMO. If you go to a non-Corvette vintage show and expect awards to fall from the sky. I heard two judges talking at such a show over my '61 fender and one said to the other that GM didn't put dual quad carbs on cars that early.....I just laughed...
Old 07-28-2018, 12:55 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

Beautiful car. Beautifully displayed too....with hood closed! :-) I must be a liberal. LOL.
It's actually just as nice (and correct) under the hood as well - and if a spectator courteously asks me if he can see and/or photograph under the hood, I'm happy to oblige him. All part of the car show experience.

Last edited by fyreline; 07-28-2018 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:10 AM
c1j1c2
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I could care less what others think. Car shows I enter are for regional points for NCCC competition. Even then, if I don't get a first, it's okay. I love my car.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:14 PM
427/42566 coup
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Only Throphies (3) that my vette won , Had to be told my number was being called .
Old 08-02-2018, 04:34 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

That's pretty much why I never go to car shows any longer. I'll definitely go to a cruise, but paying money to have others look at my car and then get a plastic trophy just doesn't do it for me. The way I look at it, they should pay me to show my car.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:49 PM
Rob_64-365
Drifting

Received 623 Likes on 363 Posts

I love to stop at car shows, but could not fathom bringing my car to one. I am more the type to stop in, look at all the cool cars, and get out of there In under 30 minutes!

Get notified of new replies

To Car Shows

Old 08-02-2018, 06:10 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

I’m not proud of what I did but it worked. There is a local show once a year that turns out over 100 cars and it’s judged.

I lost with my Camaro, then my Z06 the first few years. Then I acquired my 60 Vette. It placed top 10 but I still was disappointed. So I took it back last year and the show had 1/2 the turnout because of rain. I didn’t even place.

So I thought I will try one more time. This year I took my 66. I got there so early I beat even the people doing the show. I displayed my Carlisle awards, display board and magazine article.

Well the awards were announced one by one and there was a huge turnout that day. I actually started walking away when they announced I won best in show. I was very happy and shocked. After 2 minutes everyone started leaving and it was over. I drove the car home and covered it and placed the $5 trophy on it.

The point is it’s a $5 plastic trophy but it’s nice to standout every once in a while.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:27 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

I guess I have a little different take on the whole Car Show thing . . . I enjoy them very much. I usually get there a bit early, pick out a nice shady spot where I won't be crowded with other cars but where spectators can easily see all around the car. I affix a replica 1962 Chevy Dealer window sticker to the driver's window, set up a display board answering the most frequently asked questions, set up my small canopy and folding chairs, and enjoy the show. I make it a point to walk around at least once to look at everyone else's car, answer as many questions as I can, and almost always make a new friend or two. It's always an enjoyable day, and I couldn't care less about the trophies, if there even are any. It's about the people, and the memories our cars invoke, and the great conversations with like-minded Corvette people. I've been doing it for years, and I'll be doing it as many more as I can.

Last edited by fyreline; 08-02-2018 at 07:33 PM.
rusty50 (08-03-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 07:44 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

I only go to cruises , not shows and I don't even open the hood on my 57 . It is just an engine and it ruins the look of the cars when the hood is open . Now if you have more invested on chrome in the engine compartment than you have in the car , maybe I can understand your way of thinking .

Quick Reply: Car Shows