C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Who has the best upper-outer shaft for 53-62 front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 12:28 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Default Who has the best upper-outer shaft for 53-62 front suspension

At some time in the past, someone here posted a comparison of upper-outer eccentric shafts for the 53-62 upper A-frames. One of the shafts had a more pronounced eccentric than the other.
Well, I cannot find who provides the shaft with the more pronounced eccentric, but I know someone here has that information. I'd just like to know where to find those upper-outer shafts.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:47 PM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

I think it is in this thread Tom.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rebuild-2.html
Old 07-22-2018, 06:14 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The upper outer is usually not an issue, the upper inner on the other hand is... The imported version of the upper inner shaft is not correct.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:06 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
The upper outer is usually not an issue, the upper inner on the other hand is... The imported version of the upper inner shaft is not correct.

REPLACEMENT upper-inner shafts for 53-62 Corvettes and 49-54 Chevy pass cars is SUPPOSED to be oversize.
I would never want, nor would I install an upper-inner shaft that just screwed right into the the threads that the original shaft came out of. These shafts are supposed to be so tight that there would never be any possibility of them turning in the spring tower.
When on old shaft is removed (hopefully it is tight), it is not uncommon for the shaft to be a little loose in the threads in the spring tower. When a new replacement shaft is installed------------------IT SHOULD BE VERY HARD TO SCREW IT INTO THE THREADS IN THE SPRING TOWER! You want that shaft to be TIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

There have been times that the spot welded bushing in both sides of the spring tower has become too enlarged for even an oversize shaft to screw into and fit tight. There is a fix for this. Paragon (the only source I'm aware of) sells new replacement threaded bushings for replacing the worn out original ones in the spring tower. The originals were spot welded in and to replace them, DRILL, DO NOT CUT, the spot welds and then tack weld in the new ones.
Just like from the factory, the replacement bushings have a smaller threaded hole on one than on the other-----------------THE SMALLER THREADED HOLE GOES TOWARD THE REAR!

Last edited by DZAUTO; 07-22-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:35 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
REPLACEMENT upper-inner shafts for 53-62 Corvettes and 49-54 Chevy pass cars is SUPPOSED to be oversize.
I would never want, nor would I install an upper-inner shaft that just screwed right into the the threads that the original shaft came out of. These shafts are supposed to be so tight that there would never be any possibility of them turning in the spring tower.
When on old shaft is removed (hopefully it is tight), it is not uncommon for the shaft to be a little loose in the threads in the spring tower. When a new replacement shaft is installed------------------IT SHOULD BE VERY HARD TO SCREW IT INTO THE THREADS IN THE SPRING TOWER! You want that shaft to be TIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

There have been times that the spot welded bushing in both sides of the spring tower has become too enlarged for even an oversize shaft to screw into and fit tight. There is a fix for this. Paragon (the only source I'm aware of) sells new replacement threaded bushings for replacing the worn out original ones in the spring tower. The originals were spot welded in and to replace them, DRILL, DO NOT CUT, the spot welds and then tack weld in the new ones.
Just like from the factory, the replacement bushings have a smaller threaded hole on one than on the other-----------------THE SMALLER THREADED HOLE GOES TOWARD THE REAR!

DZ, is 100 percent correct, Paragon is the only company that makes the tower washers... And over the years I've seen the upper shafts welded in place, or just loose in the tower washer. The only correct way to replace them is to remove them and install new. My post was just to point out that the imported upper inner shafts suck... they are not correct and if you try to install one it will mess up your tower washer. They are the same size front and rear which is totally incorrect.

I believe and I've not checked, but I think they indexed 1 1/8 from the outside edge of the tower insert to the end of the shaft and this is critical too. Complete front suspension installation instructions from the factory service manual can be found at this link http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/w...-From-ST12.pdf

Old 07-23-2018, 10:12 AM
ack fia
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Upper Eccentrics

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
DZ, is 100 percent correct, Paragon is the only company that makes the tower washers... And over the years I've seen the upper shafts welded in place, or just loose in the tower washer. The only correct way to replace them is to remove them and install new. My post was just to point out that the imported upper inner shafts suck... they are not correct and if you try to install one it will mess up your tower washer. They are the same size front and rear which is totally incorrect.

I believe and I've not checked, but I think they indexed 1 1/8 from the outside edge of the tower insert to the end of the shaft and this is critical too. Complete front suspension installation instructions from the factory service manual can be found at this link http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/w...-From-ST12.pdf
The only eccentrics I have ever found that lets you align the front end of a C1 are from GM. I have actually had to strip a junk yard front suspension to get eccentrics that are "eccentric enough" to do an alignment. The pieces you buy at an auto store are made from a smaller diameter piece that done not allow for the offset to get enough eccentric.

Get notified of new replies

To Who has the best upper-outer shaft for 53-62 front suspension

Quick Reply: Who has the best upper-outer shaft for 53-62 front suspension