C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

how suspicious would you be

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 08:19 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I'd question why somebody would question what you think a "high end restoration shop" is without knowing the circumstances......customers can have inexplicable, perfectly legal requirements; perhaps the car will be a "mock up" to sit in front of a restaurant somewhere (like I've seen a 1/2 dozen times on Rt 66); to wit - a decoration....perhaps some weird art-deco art gallery piece -- never to be titled/registered or driven (with no drive train)....,perhaps a piece of furniture with no doors and couch cushions in it - like I see at several nostalgia shops and in kids' museums -- who knows ?

The body shop might not have been "playing dumb" -- you just thought the explanation was vague because its out of the ordinary; frankly, if you're not the paying customer, the shop doesn't owe you any explanation. I can think of 1/2 dozen reasons for this situation. Maybe the state doesn't require a VIN tag in the situations described above -- if the body/frame were illegally obtained or you knew the eventual purpose for the end product, and it was illegitimate, that's a different story...

Sometimes when you run a business you get asked to do things that aren't necessarily in your "wheelhouse" and you might not agree with but if its legal and pays the bills - you do it to the customers specifications and smile the whole time. Sometimes you take on a job you wouldn't normally do for a friend - or to expand the shop's experience-base. People that have been in business know this.

Everything isn't always as it appears at first blush....and not everybody does cookie cutter, paint-by-the-numbers, looks-like-it-came-off-a-3D-printer, tributes to the NCRS gods....

I guess the whole country is steering towards a "guilty without a trial" mentality nowadays.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-25-2018 at 09:39 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Frankie the Fink:
Roger Walling (07-25-2018), Tonio (07-25-2018), vetintheblood (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 09:19 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,595 Likes on 662 Posts

If the paint had been ground off with a right angle grinder, I would think that the owner of the body didn't have a clue about what he was doing and finally sent it to a body shop to repair his misdeeds.
Many uneducated people have removed the VIV's in order to paint under them, thinking they would get a better job.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:29 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

I never trust other peoples eyes or senses to make judgment calls.

"right angle grinder" to strip paint?

Run home to call the cops because you saw a Vette in a body shop without tags?
Old 07-25-2018, 09:38 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by car junkie
I never trust other peoples eyes or senses to make judgment calls.

"right angle grinder" to strip paint?

Run home to call the cops because you saw a Vette in a body shop without tags?

yeah who's to say it wasn't a left angle grinder?
Old 07-25-2018, 09:57 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,009 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Robert61

yeah who's to say it wasn't a left angle grinder?
Well, you don't know which side he was looking at, now, do you? The LEFT angle grinder was for the OTHER side, silly!
Old 07-25-2018, 11:05 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Where are you Keith - you've left everyone hanging in suspense?
Old 07-25-2018, 12:10 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,939 Likes on 4,780 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
Where are you Keith - you've left everyone hanging in suspense?
I am here. Since I don’t know the whole story and really it’s none of my business how a shop does there work and I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Now if I knew personally a 67 that was stolen recently in the area I would get the police involved. But since I don’t and I am not scooby doo and the mystery gang I’ll keep my nose out of it. I was just curious how other might handle it

But if anyone here knows a 67 that was stollen in the mid Atlantic area please let me know.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:03 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,323 Likes on 2,772 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man

I am here. Since I don’t know the whole story and really it’s none of my business how a shop does there work and I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Now if I knew personally a 67 that was stolen recently in the area I would get the police involved. But since I don’t and I am not scooby doo and the mystery gang I’ll keep my nose out of it. I was just curious how other might handle it

But if anyone here knows a 67 that was stollen in the mid Atlantic area please let me know.

Removed posts suggest we are done here.

Quick Reply: how suspicious would you be