C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Barn find - fair value please

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 04:56 AM
eblood
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Barn find - fair value please

Hi guys,

I look at this project car for a while https://www.2ememain.be/autos/chevro...421316513.html

I think it could be very nice if I can work later on it with my son (currently 6 months so I'm not hurry up to achieve it) and my father, its just like a dream
But most of people think its a very bad idea , but honestly I dont care about drivint it, most important is wrench it and learn things with family boys.
I already have a nice c2 unmollested, for this barn, my idea is just doing what I cant do on the current one. I dont care about correct paint, correct interior trim, original trans/engine.. just working on it and doing a nice looking car.

the guy is asking the equivalent of 20K USD, do you think is a fair value ? here in europa its very rare to find this kind of barn..
I know maybe there too many unknown paramters but lets assume birdcage and frame is good but engine is seized.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:07 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Put me in the group that thinks this is a very bad idea. Your assumption that the birdcage is good could very likely be a huge mistake.
I can't imagine how anyone but you can determine whether $20K is fair value for this pile. I can say with certainty that it would not be for me.
The following users liked this post:
eblood (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 06:26 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

NEVER assume the frame and birdcage is good.... NEVER

having said that, it will be a 'money pit' no matter what and in the US "I" wouldn't pay no more than $12-$15K, and would cringe at that.....

and having said that, I wanted my 62 so badly back in 1976 that I paid way too much for it (and it was a bucket of crap....) I made a rookie emotional poor decision, but it has provided me years of tinkering and driving pleasure and over the years the costs didn't matter....

so, the price is too high; but your heart is what is going to guide you; your head already knows it's a bad deal... and that I can't provide you guidance on....

Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 07-27-2018 at 06:29 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by wmf62:
eblood (07-27-2018), Kerrmudgeon (07-29-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 06:30 AM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

Price is not horrible but If you are not at minimum a "B" mechanic with a lift it may be a bad idea.
If you insist on buying it you need to be certain that the motor is not seized, the frame is solid and the bird cage is not swiss cheese and it come with docs that clearly convey correct ownership to you.
eblood (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 07:29 AM
eblood
Advanced

Ouch difficult to hear that.. In my mind it was already in my garage wrenching on it but your wisdom is the best advice.
its so difficult here in europa to grab a barn with the project in mind to restore it with the boy.

Last edited by eblood; 07-27-2018 at 07:30 AM.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:41 AM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

You are better off to buy a C2 that is nice and in running condition for 70K Euro. You will still have the chance to wrench with your son and not totally lose your shirt.

You buy this 64 in Europe and try to do a full restoration (which it needs) and you will easily have 120K Euro possibly more tied up in a 45K Euro car...
eblood (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 07:52 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The cost of getting enough parts sent overseas to get that thing roadworthy alone would be daunting....

If you want to make a small fortune restoring that car -- start with a large fortune...
The following 3 users liked this post by Frankie the Fink:
64luke (07-27-2018), Brian VH McHale (07-27-2018), eblood (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 08:01 AM
eblood
Advanced

the aim is not really to put back this car as soon as possible on the road but wrenching , tinking on a dream car and pass on my passion to my son.
Anyway your're right I think there's a consensus and its true buying parts overseas add 50% fees to any order..
I'll keep on doing oil service on my current c2 , maybe the son will be insterested at
Old 07-27-2018, 08:12 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,434 Likes on 738 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

20k ????? No way
RUN
With a clean title - maybe 5K
Then I would part it out.
eblood (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 08:59 AM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

Question to OP.
Would like to know how long it took you to find a project C2 in your part of the world and if there are any others you looked at.
I think scarcity may be a big factor for you and the price point will obviously be affected if is near impossible to find another.
Proceed carefully regarding the frame, birdcage, engine, proper docs and be honest with yourself regarding your mechanical skills and lift access.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:09 AM
eblood
Advanced

Originally Posted by phil2302
Question to OP.
Would like to know how long it took you to find a project C2 in your part of the world and if there are any others you looked at.
I think scarcity may be a big factor for you and the price point will obviously be affected if is near impossible to find another.
Proceed carefully regarding the frame, birdcage, engine, proper docs and be honest with yourself regarding your mechanical skills and lift access.
Honestly looking at the local craiglist for c2 is one the first thing I do on the morning and I never find one to restore. Other ones are either top condition coming from US (not what im looking for) or poor condition (often mollested) sold at 45K EUR.. So yes, its very uncommon !

I just want have fun tinking on it but obviously without losing my pant.. I was thinking on adding another 20K-25k to get a roadworthy car without taking care of aesthetic details.
Put a crate motor in it, new brake system, and learning how to fix fiber issues. I dont care about paint , wheels or interior trim, just wanna have fun and got skills while working on it, even if it takes 10 years.

PS : I plan buying a lift soon.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:38 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Frankie beat me to it with the point that most parts will have to come from over here, adding costs at a higher rate than what it would cost even over here. Have you read posts here and seen pics about the kickups and other problem areas? A nice spray of gloss black does not mean the frame is solid - it might be, it might not be. Ditto the birdcage - sometimes good frame cars have a bad birdcage, and there are cars breaking in half with a solid bird cage.

Now the other point of view. What's the worst that can happen? You find the car is too far gone for your ability or your bank account. You may be able to sell parts. You may be able to sell the whole car. You may very well lose money, but you won't lose ALL your money. And any improvements you make in the meantime add to what you would get if you sell.

I entirely understand your desire to work on it, and have the fun and challenge of the project. I recently bought a '64 (for less than the price of yours) and I'm having a ton of fun skinning my knuckles, getting dirt and rust all over me, and fixing it up. It's not always about profit and loss. Some people pay thousands for a fishing boat and gear, some guys pour every cent into model train layouts that fill the whole basement, or brewing their own beer. If YOUR hobby and your dream is to work on this car and have fun of doing so, look at it in those term and go for it. Sometimes the journey is more fun than the destination, and you can always turn around and take a different path (sell it) if you decide you're on the wrong track.

I don't know you, I don't know the car and I am far from an expert. These guys above are spot on about the thing will need a lot of money, probably more than it will be worth when done. But if the value to you is as a project and a challenge, rather than a business investment, go for it. You will not find nearly as many project Vettes over there as you do here.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide. If you do buy it, people here have been through just about every possible part of restoration on it and can offer advice as you go along.
MidShark (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 09:51 AM
Dougs63
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

From my perspective, that big crack across the rear deck is most problematic.
Hard to repair that area without the repair eventually showing through.
I actually saw a '63 SWC at an NCRS judged event that had a similar repair - you could see it from 20 feet away.
Otherwise you're looking at having to replace the entire roof panel on a coupe.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:18 AM
Muttley
Burning Brakes

Received 238 Likes on 177 Posts

Especially since you are not pressed for time, I would recommend passing on this car and expanding your search. There is an NCRS chapter in the UK, with members on the continent (I belonged to this chapter years ago and they're a good group). There's another chapter in the Netherlands. I'd recommend getting in touch with some of these folks, and they may be able to point you to some better deals.

https://www.ncrs.org/services/chapters.php
Old 07-27-2018, 10:24 AM
eblood
Advanced

Originally Posted by Railroadman
Frankie beat me to it with the point that most parts will have to come from over here, adding costs at a higher rate than what it would cost even over here. Have you read posts here and seen pics about the kickups and other problem areas? A nice spray of gloss black does not mean the frame is solid - it might be, it might not be. Ditto the birdcage - sometimes good frame cars have a bad birdcage, and there are cars breaking in half with a solid bird cage.

Now the other point of view. What's the worst that can happen? You find the car is too far gone for your ability or your bank account. You may be able to sell parts. You may be able to sell the whole car. You may very well lose money, but you won't lose ALL your money. And any improvements you make in the meantime add to what you would get if you sell.

I entirely understand your desire to work on it, and have the fun and challenge of the project. I recently bought a '64 (for less than the price of yours) and I'm having a ton of fun skinning my knuckles, getting dirt and rust all over me, and fixing it up. It's not always about profit and loss. Some people pay thousands for a fishing boat and gear, some guys pour every cent into model train layouts that fill the whole basement, or brewing their own beer. If YOUR hobby and your dream is to work on this car and have fun of doing so, look at it in those term and go for it. Sometimes the journey is more fun than the destination, and you can always turn around and take a different path (sell it) if you decide you're on the wrong track.

I don't know you, I don't know the car and I am far from an expert. These guys above are spot on about the thing will need a lot of money, probably more than it will be worth when done. But if the value to you is as a project and a challenge, rather than a business investment, go for it. You will not find nearly as many project Vettes over there as you do here.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide. If you do buy it, people here have been through just about every possible part of restoration on it and can offer advice as you go along.
Obviously the birdcage/frame state is a deal breaker.. I wont enter in this challenge if frame/bc is rotten. The car is almost complete, for sure bring back some parts in europa is expensive but it means, in worst case scenario (selling back for parts ?) you'll sell these parts more expensive than in US (no freight and custom fees), in mid case scenario , here you'll never find a grungy rider for less than 40K. In best case I have fun with son and car and these memories are priceless IMHO. As you said its not about profit and loss.. you understood me. 'Sometimes the journey is more fun than the destination' its exactly what I said to wifey but her reaction was not the expected one :S.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:56 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by eblood
As you said its not about profit and loss.. you understood me. 'Sometimes the journey is more fun than the destination' its exactly what I said to wifey but her reaction was not the expected one :S.
The '64 I got was 1,000 miles away and I had few pics to go by. Scrambled to get ready to go see it, then got cold feet, figured it would not be worth it so I told the wife forget it. The next morning she saw me puttering around and said "If you don't go look at it, you're going to be kicking yourself for years. Let's go and see it, and at the worst, we still get a road trip and mini-vacation out of it". In less than 2 hours we were in the truck and driving.

When it came time to lift the body and put it on the body dolly, she was the one steadying it and helping line things up. Maybe yours will come around and get involved.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:20 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

I believe that this car would be a challenge if it were here in the U.S. for someone to undertake.

It appears to be missing so many critical parts, it will be very expensive to just put it into running condition. This car will ultimately require a tremendous amount of body working to get it in reasonable condition and then the wrenching can begin. Here in the U.S. it would make a good candidate for resto-modding where 50% of the parts would be discarded or sold off anyway. As others have said and implied however, very nice Corvettes have been created from worse beginnings.

Good luck with your decision, and do let us know what you decide.

GUSTO

Get notified of new replies

To Barn find - fair value please

Old 07-27-2018, 11:30 AM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Originally Posted by csherman
20k ????? No way
RUN
With a clean title - maybe 5K
Then I would part it out.

I agree ,with a clean title $4,000-$5,000 tops. Shipping will be at least that much overseas. The body looks heavily damaged and will need new body panels and a lot of body work.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:35 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CorvetteMikeB
I agree ,with a clean title $4,000-$5,000 tops. Shipping will be at least that much overseas. The body looks heavily damaged and will need new body panels and a lot of body work.
Huh? It's already over there.

One thing OP has not said is whether he would - if he bought it - keep the customized look, or try to put it back original. Mike is right, it will need a lot of body work either way.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:09 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by 65hihp
Put me in the group that thinks this is a very bad idea. Your assumption that the birdcage is good could very likely be a huge mistake.
I can't imagine how anyone but you can determine whether $20K is fair value for this pile. I can say with certainty that it would not be for me.
My thoughts exactly. You would be thounsands of dollars and miles ahead to buy one in the US and have it shipped. The one pictured is a loser.
silver837 (07-27-2018)

Quick Reply: [C2] Barn find - fair value please