C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

no spark at coil

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 06:24 PM
vasnakeman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no spark at coil

65 327. voltages correct to coil , ground at ground, and 12v at 12 v, tried three different coils and still have no spark to ground when i spin motor, any body have any ideas ,what to check next my brother in law has same problem, wireing harness is new, coil wire is new. im lost and so is he.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:22 PM
rccarson
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by vasnakeman
65 327. voltages correct to coil , ground at ground, and 12v at 12 v, tried three different coils and still have no spark to ground when i spin motor, any body have any ideas ,what to check next my brother in law has same problem, wireing harness is new, coil wire is new. im lost and so is he.
What kind of distributor are you running? If points check that they are opening and closing. If you have electronic make sure that reluctor ring is spinning and connections to pick-up are connected and have proper voltage. If you are running the TI distributor and box you will have to trouble shoot the system.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:49 AM
vasnakeman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rccarson
What kind of distributor are you running? If points check that they are opening and closing. If you have electronic make sure that reluctor ring is spinning and connections to pick-up are connected and have proper voltage. If you are running the TI distributor and box you will have to trouble shoot the system.
im running the standard ignition , i get no spark TO distributer out of coil wire, before it gets to dostributer. seems like the coil never charges up
Old 08-04-2018, 08:04 AM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

If both you and your BIL are having the same problem, something is wrongly connected in both cars. Start at the ignition switch and work forward.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:05 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

im running the standard ignition , i get no spark TO distributer out of coil wire, before it gets to dostributer. seems like the coil never charges up

Check the point gap and/or run a file through them to knock the crud off.

You can verify the points are making/breaking the coil circuit by putting a test light on the minus side of the engine and spin it over. If you get a bright on/off/on/off flashing light, your points are good. It you don't...................................
Old 08-04-2018, 01:45 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Probably shorted condenser or points not opening. Maybe small wire from the top of the coil that goes up in to the bottom of the distributor to connect to the points plate is broken. Maybe a corroded connection in either end of that wire. Spin the motor over with the distributor cap off and see if your points are opening.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:06 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

I remain amazed at the number of people that don't understand what a simple test light will tell you in about one minute..
The following users liked this post:
Factoid (08-04-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 06:11 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MikeM
I remain amazed at the number of people that don't understand what a simple test light will tell you in about one minute..
Mike the art of diagnosing and troubleshooting is slowing dying in this throw away society. Without a scan tool telling them what to replace people are lost
Old 08-04-2018, 06:14 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Do what Mike said. If the points don't 'make and break', you will have zero coil output. Not the coil's fault.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:31 PM
vasnakeman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Do what Mike said. If the points don't 'make and break', you will have zero coil output. Not the coil's fault.
will check that tomorrow thanks didn't know that could effect coil
Old 08-05-2018, 09:45 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

will check that tomorrow thanks didn't know that could effect coil
Read the article below ("It Starts With A Spark") - it will help you understand the basics of your Corvette ignition system and simplify diagnosis and repair.

The following 2 users liked this post by JohnZ:
Greg Hollowaty (08-07-2018), Mikado463 (08-07-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 02:33 PM
vasnakeman
Intermediate

don't flame me i know how to use meter, probe and timeing light.
latest tests this morning;
i had wire for 12V choke wired to back side of distributor and thought that might be problem so took that loose no difference.
checked points They are set at .015 when open so they do open. checked 12v on coil, and drops to 17.5 with key on and has 11.5 volts when cranking.
im working alone car spins fine and have plenty of gas no effort to start what so ever so i guess still no spark. i have read the article and it confuses me because i can see no reason for my failure everything seems to be as it should be.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:34 PM
vasnakeman
Intermediate

would the se pointless kit maybe solve this problem?
Old 08-06-2018, 02:57 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

im working alone car spins fine and have plenty of gas no effort to start what so ever so i guess still no spark. i have read the article and it confuses me because i can see no reason for my failure everything seems to be as it should be.
What is confusing about using the test light like I suggested?

I'm still amazed!
Old 08-06-2018, 03:04 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

would the se pointless kit maybe solve this problem?
nope. Not unless your points are bad. Then a 15 dollar set of points will fix it
Old 08-06-2018, 03:43 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man

nope. Not unless your points are bad. Then a 15 dollar set of points will fix it
So will a couple of strokes with a point file, usually. Why pay more?

Last edited by MikeM; 08-06-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:50 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

He still hasn't checked to see if he has spark at the points, or a dwell reading on a dwellmeter. That's the first thing to check.. The 12v on the coil DROPPING to 17.5 volts with key on is very, very strange.

Get notified of new replies

To no spark at coil

Old 08-06-2018, 04:09 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

He still hasn't checked to see if he has spark at the points, or a dwell reading on a dwellmeter. That's the first thing to check.. The 12v on the coil DROPPING to 17.5 volts with key on is very, very strange.
Indeed Jeff.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:18 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

...... checked 12v on coil, and drops to 17.5 with key on and has 11.5 volts when cranking..
That whole sentence is a little strange.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:27 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

I think you're going to take this as "flaming you", but you don't seem to be reading the replies correctly. First off 12 doesn't "drop" to 17.5. Be more careful in your answers, Incorrect facts will do nothing but make the right answers harder. Second, you say "plenty of fuel". Do you mean in the tank. If so, that means nothing to the engine, it has to get to the carburetor. When you move the throttle, do you see gas squirt into the carb? Third, you say "assume" no spark. Verify that first. If you don't have spark, you don't need to be working on fuel, etc. Go one at a time. All it takes is air, fuel, and spark at the right time to run. See which one is missing. Since you know how to use a test light and are unwilling to connect it to the connector on the coil for the small wire that goes over to the distributor for the points plate and then crank and see if it flashes, do it this way. You can get some help, have them crank the car over while you pull the coil wire or a spark plug wire and hold them near the engine block. Hold by the rubber, wear some gloves if you need to. You should have a good healthy spark while the engine is cranking. Fourth, you should not have a wire connected to the distributor or coil for an electric choke. My suggestion (which in no way means you can't do it yourself) is to ask someone with some old car ignition experience to watch while you try stuff and give advice, or to fix it for you and you watch and learn the method to systematically eliminate possible problems.

Quick Reply: no spark at coil