C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Electric Steering on a C-1

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 07:57 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Electric Steering on a C-1

Anyone tried or read the article on electric steering adapted to a C-1 ? I had contact with owner of a 59 that retrofitted a steering control from a Saturn. Power steering without a pump, leaking hoses, or an expensive system alternate. One can still retain the huge steering wheel ( which adds to the classic interior ) and parking becomes a breeze . There was an article on HAMB but I could not find it.. Sounds interesting from a research stand point.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:43 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by jrs 427
Anyone tried or read the article on electric steering adapted to a C-1 ? I had contact with owner of a 59 that retrofitted a steering control from a Saturn. Power steering without a pump, leaking hoses, or an expensive system alternate. One can still retain the huge steering wheel ( which adds to the classic interior ) and parking becomes a breeze . There was an article on HAMB but I could not find it.. Sounds interesting from a research stand point.
do a search. someone posted recently on that

Bill
Old 08-04-2018, 08:45 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I sold a 57 to a guy in Germany and he installed electric power steering on it. Used the original column, just had to cut it between the box and the firewall. I will see if I can find a picture of it for you.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:37 PM
Captain Bud
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Default Electric steering

There is a video of it on You Tube
Old 08-05-2018, 08:05 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The electric conversion is nice and provides variable assistance depending on the steering effort needed but it is pricey. If I had wanted power steering in my 61 I prob would have gone this route....it does require chopping the C1 steering shaft a certain amount and adds more clutter under the dash though... Never converted though - with the big steering wheel properly sized and inflated tires and a few steering techniques I taught my 110lb daughter to whip the car around with no problem.

Nothing is funnier than seeing some C1 owner trying to crank that big school bus steering wheel around to park at a DEAD stop with fat radial tires on the car.
Well maybe some "plus-sized" owner trying to do the same thing with a smaller 15" steering wheel replacement might be funnier.

Then they gripe about the old technology and how hard it is to steer..

Yeah you can give yourself a hemorrhoid muscling these cars around if you don't employ a bit of high-school physics.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 08-05-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:19 AM
hlvette
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I have done this on a 59 Corvette a couple years ago. I got it on the road this year & works great. Be sure your steering box is good & front end steering, king pins etc are all good.
It won't help sloppy components. When done properly, you can steer with 1 finger. Even when sitting still. There are other drives other than the Saturn that you don't need the controller, but the controller is nice to adjust the feel to how you like it. I built the complete unit for under $ 200. I have 2- 59's. 1 has stock steering & 1 is modified. I like driving them both.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:43 AM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Here is a picture of the conversion, sorry, I don't have any info for the source of the unit.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:40 AM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by jrm5657
Here is a picture of the conversion, sorry, I don't have any info for the source of the unit.
A quick question about function - Does the power steering part have to be anchored to the chassis or can it float free?
The following users liked this post:
solidaxel (09-19-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 09:54 AM
hlvette
Advanced

It does not have to be anchored to the frame
Old 08-05-2018, 10:02 AM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by hlvette
Interesting. I would have guessed that would transfer forces back to the steering wheel each time it tried to help turn the front wheels.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:36 AM
JF in MI
Drifting
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,299 Likes on 478 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have done this on a 59 Corvette a couple years ago. I got it on the road this year & works great. Be sure your steering box is good & front end steering, king pins etc are all good.
It won't help sloppy components. When done properly, you can steer with 1 finger. Even when sitting still. There are other drives other than the Saturn that you don't need the controller, but the controller is nice to adjust the feel to how you like it. I built the complete unit for under $ 200. I have 2- 59's. 1 has stock steering & 1 is modified. I like driving them both.
How did you do the controller box?
Old 08-05-2018, 05:17 PM
hlvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by JF in MI
How did you do the controller box?
Here is a link to the controller on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturn-Vue-...LH_TitleDesc=0
You can get the power steering parts you need from a junk yard. I paid $ 40.00 for mine. be sure to have them cut the wires long & give you the wire plug, & the shaft splice parts.
I cut the corvette shaft in the engine compartment. It might fit under the dash, but its already tight under there. Both ends of the shaft housing are fastened to the steering motor, so you don't have to fasten it to the frame. I will see if I can find my pictures
The following users liked this post:
JF in MI (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 05:28 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

why not? Something in that power unit has to be tied to something.....

Last edited by firstgear; 08-05-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:37 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Very clever if it works - but I'm also wondering how it works without an anchor point...

How can it assist anything just floating in space ?
Old 08-05-2018, 05:52 PM
hlvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Very clever if it works - but I'm also wondering how it works without an anchor point...

It anchors to the column tube. the shaft is cut & spliced to each end of the motor shaft. As soon as you move the steering wheel, it senses the movement & takes over.
It is really a motor assist instead of power steering.
This picture is from last year when I was testing it
Old 08-05-2018, 05:59 PM
hlvette
Advanced

Another pic

Old 08-05-2018, 06:05 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,720 Likes on 805 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

This unit would be great for a '56/'57 since you can shorten the shaft when doing the conversion. The biggest pain of that year is the long column. Kill two birds with one stone.

Get notified of new replies

To Electric Steering on a C-1

Old 08-05-2018, 06:07 PM
64luke
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

The electric conversion is nice and provides variable assistance depending on the steering effort needed but it is pricey. If I had wanted power steering in my 61 I prob would have gone this route....it does require chopping the C1 steering shaft a certain amount and adds more clutter under the dash though... Never converted though - with the big steering wheel properly sized and inflated tires and a few steering techniques I taught my 110lb daughter to whip the car around with no problem.

Nothing is funnier than seeing some C1 owner trying to crank that big school bus steering wheel around to park at a DEAD stop with fat radial tires on the car.
Well maybe some "plus-sized" owner trying to do the same thing with a smaller 15" steering wheel replacement might be funnier.

Then they gripe about the old technology and how hard it is to steer..

Yeah you can give yourself a hemorrhoid muscling these cars around if you don't employ a bit of high-school physics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NivxqlpVRMA
You are absolutely right. My left arm is paralyzed and I’m legally allowed to use a “suicide ****” —- if everything is lubed, the tires are at the right psi and I remember my HS driver ed (turn the wheel in anticipation of your next move before the car stops moving), even I can parallel park.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:33 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by kellsdad
Interesting. I would have guessed that would transfer forces back to the steering wheel each time it tried to help turn the front wheels.
IF the power box is tight to the tube (notice the welds in the picture where the tub is spliced), then the steering box will prevent rotation because it is anchored to the frame
Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 08-05-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:36 PM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 245 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Does this require modifying the outer steering column housing to the point you have to remove the VIN data plate? If not, this is an interesting idea. In another discussion I was told the electric motor went under the instrument panel, yet hlvette shows it on the engine side of the F/W. Is this just another mfgs way of doing it?

BH

Quick Reply: Electric Steering on a C-1