C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[C2] KO center cap removal tool

 
Old 08-05-2018, 04:36 PM
  #1  
woodsdesign
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
woodsdesign's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2004
Location: Macedonia Ohio
Posts: 2,655
Thanked 101 Times in 94 Posts
Default KO center cap removal tool

Hey Guys,
I thought I heard that there was a tool, maybe suction type, for removal of the Knock off center cap.
I am getting tired of using a small screw driver and risking scratches. It seems like there has got to be a better way.
Anyone know of such a tool?
woodsdesign is offline  
Old 08-05-2018, 04:38 PM
  #2  
289cobra
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2013
Location: ny
Posts: 211
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by woodsdesign View Post
Hey Guys,
I thought I heard that there was a tool, maybe suction type, for removal of the Knock off center cap.
I am getting tired of using a small screw driver and risking scratches. It seems like there has got to be a better way.
Anyone know of such a tool?
Yes, it is a suction cap

Last edited by 289cobra; 08-05-2018 at 04:38 PM.
289cobra is offline  
Old 08-05-2018, 04:48 PM
  #3  
65GGvert
CF Senior Member
 
65GGvert's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2006
Location: Kannapolis NC
Posts: 15,591
Thanked 1,080 Times in 950 Posts
Default

Works great, but I notice several vendors have raised the price. I think I paid less than $10 around 5 yrs ago. Really does make it easy.

https://www.volvette.com/WH08A.html

Last edited by 65GGvert; 08-05-2018 at 04:52 PM.
65GGvert is online now  
Old 08-05-2018, 06:07 PM
  #4  
Vettrocious
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Vettrocious's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2009
Location: Glen Arbor MI
Posts: 1,783
Thanked 195 Times in 156 Posts
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
Default

Originally Posted by 65GGvert View Post
Works great, but I notice several vendors have raised the price. I think I paid less than $10 around 5 yrs ago. Really does make it easy.

https://www.volvette.com/WH08A.html

You can buy several sizes of suction cup at any hardware store, certainly for less that $10. I bought one recently and it works fine.

Mike
Vettrocious is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Vettrocious For This Useful Post:
woodsdesign (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 06:13 PM
  #5  
MikeM
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2003
Location: Greenville, Indiana
Posts: 22,424
Thanked 820 Times in 697 Posts
Default

why do you have to pull the center cap off? I don't and millions of other owners don't either.
MikeM is offline  
Old 08-05-2018, 06:54 PM
  #6  
mattba
CF Senior Member
 
mattba's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2008
Location: Golden Colorado
Posts: 278
Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
why do you have to pull the center cap off? I don't and millions of other owners don't either.
If you have repros with "security" pins then you need to pull the center cap off to get to the pins to remove them before hammering the wheel loose.

I tried other suction cups and they worked on one but not the other three caps. I sprung for the removal tool ($18) and it worked every time. I also used the removal tool to suck out the caved in back of my seat on my 66 without taking the back off. Useful tool!

Last edited by mattba; 08-05-2018 at 06:55 PM.
mattba is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to mattba For This Useful Post:
woodsdesign (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 07:30 PM
  #7  
woodsdesign
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
woodsdesign's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2004
Location: Macedonia Ohio
Posts: 2,655
Thanked 101 Times in 94 Posts
Default

Yup, I have bolt on Knock Offs so I have to take the cap off to get the pin out. Not sure if I even need the pins since they are bolt on wheels. It is only for the spinner.
This tool looks very useful. Thanks for the info.



Originally Posted by mattba View Post
If you have repros with "security" pins then you need to pull the center cap off to get to the pins to remove them before hammering the wheel loose.

I tried other suction cups and they worked on one but not the other three caps. I sprung for the removal tool ($18) and it worked every time. I also used the removal tool to suck out the caved in back of my seat on my 66 without taking the back off. Useful tool!

Last edited by woodsdesign; 08-05-2018 at 07:32 PM.
woodsdesign is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [C2] KO center cap removal tool


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: