C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 steering box colors

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 12:47 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by kenba
John I was talking about the steering gear housing not the forged pitman arm. Sorry if I confused some. I think most of the paint came off when the cast iron housing was machined.
The black coating was applied after the steering gear was assembled.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:06 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

Which nuts do I loosen to remove it from the steering column? Do I need to pull up the steering column?

Ef
Old 08-12-2018, 11:28 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Critter1
The black coating was applied after the steering gear was assembled.
I stand corrected. I looked at a picture of my friends 67 435 coupe with only 2600 MI & the steering housing including the CI cover & bolts were painted. Looked at too many restored Top Flight cars with non painted ones. LOL
Old 08-12-2018, 11:32 AM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

I stand corrected. I looked at a picture of my friends 67 435 coupe with only 2600 MI & the steering housing including the CI cover & bolts were painted. Looked at too many restored Top Flight cars with non painted ones. LOL
Did you take a picture?
Old 08-12-2018, 01:08 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

I think the restoration crowd is still having a hard time accepting the fact that the steering gear was, and is supposed to be coated in black to be correct. LOL

Disc brake caliper halves were painted the way you describe though. Painted first (with real paint) then machined.

Last edited by Critter1; 08-12-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:18 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by emdoller
Which nuts do I loosen to remove it from the steering column? Do I need to pull up the steering column?

Ef

Ed:

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier. Busy working on my 1967 car and my friends 1969 Corvette.

1. I would loosen and remove the two bolts holding the halves of the steering coupling together. They may be different size (diameter) bolts......but should have a 9/16 nut on each one. Reproductions have two different size bolts, and unsure about originals without more checking. If bolts are the same size (diameter) use a paint stick to match mark the two coupling halves to aid in reassembly. This is a good practice, but is not mandatory for later reassembly and realignment.........

2. I would also loosen the special 12-point bolt on the steering column side of the coupling and pry the joint slightly apart........then tap it with a smaller hammer to drive it up the steering column. You need some space to separate the coupling halves as they are sort of "locked" together with the two safety pins on the coupling. Removing the bolts in step #1 will not allow the coupling halves to be removed without additional gap. Do not loosen or remove the coupling 12 point bolt on the steering box side..............or if you must, then use a paint stick to match mark the alignment between this coupling half and the steering box input shaft splines.

3. Reomve cotter pin and castle nut from Pitman arm to steering linkage ball joint. Install one or two regular Grade 5 nuts on the threads, but allow about 1/8 inch gap between the bottom of these nuts and the steering linkage. These nuts are to avoid damage to the Pitman arm ball joint threads when you hit the joint with a hammer to separate it from the Pitman arm.. LICS sells replacement rubber boots etc for this joint in case you tear it or it needs replacement. You may need to support or have a helper steady the steering linkage as you separate it from the Pitman arm, as the linkage assembly will otherwise try to move a bit and make the separation more difficult. Once the joint breaks free, remove the nuts and allow the steering linkage to drop down.

4. Loosen and remove the three carriage bolts holding the steering box to the frame rail. Hopefully you can now remove the box from the car. It may be a bit tight due to the coupling halves not having a lot of clearance between them to clear the safety pins, but hopefully you can get the box removed without doing anything to the steering column in the car.

Avoid removing the Pitman arm away from the steering box............but if you must for some reason, it requires a special puller and some muscle to separate this joint...........and also you NEED to match mark or punch mark the alignment of these two pieces before disassembly. If not, reassembly will be more difficult...............although still possible.

The Chevrolet Service Manual has some advice also in Section 9 on Steering. Note that many of the instructions for both PS and manual steering are in the manual steering section in the front, with only SPECIAL PS instructions in the second half of this section.

Let us know if problems.

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 08-13-2018 at 11:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dkleather (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 11:10 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Critter1
I think the restoration crowd is still having a hard time accepting the fact that the steering gear was, and is supposed to be coated in black to be correct. LOL

Disc brake caliper halves were painted the way you describe though. Painted first (with real paint) then machined.
I worked & later owned a Pattern shop starting in 1964. We made a lot of the patterns for foundries that made the castings for the steering gear housing & coverfor Saginaw Steering & master cylinders & disc brake calipers for Delco Morane. A lot of the castings were sprayed or dipped at the foundry before shipping. ASSUMED the steering gear casting was also. Spent a lot of time in the foundries in the day. Wish I would have saved some of the Master wood patterns.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:22 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

I worked & later owned a Pattern shop starting in 1964. We made a lot of the patterns for foundries that made the castings for the steering gear housing & coverfor Saginaw Steering & master cylinders & disc brake calipers for Delco Morane. A lot of the castings were sprayed or dipped at the foundry before shipping. ASSUMED the steering gear casting was also. Spent a lot of time in the foundries in the day. Wish I would have saved some of the Master wood patterns.
I think many castings from Delco were coated with that thin black paint prior to machining.

A good friend (who just passed away last week) did the very same thing. Along with being a die sinker trimmer maker for his entire career.

Last edited by Critter1; 08-14-2018 at 10:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kenba (08-15-2018)

Quick Reply: 67 steering box colors