C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 steering box colors

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 12:02 AM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

Default 67 steering box colors

heres a picture of the steering box on my 67. Its my understanding that it should be either natural or semi gloss black. As you can see the top is silver and I’m not sure what the rest is... natural?

What’s the easiest way to make this correct?

Ed
Old 08-06-2018, 07:49 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Most were black, some were bare iron. The only to get it correct is to remove it and take care of it. You could tape off and paint around it but it would show. If it needs adjustment then that would be the time to do it as well. It should have no play on center.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:20 AM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Thanks. I figured I’d have to take it off to do it right. How hard is it to remove and get back in without screwing up the current steering as it’s eorking well?

Ed
Old 08-06-2018, 10:28 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,336 Posts

As long as you don't take the box apart the setting will not change. If you have access to a 0-30 dial in/lb TW you can tell just where the box is setup- good or bad. The arm stays on the box and only goes on in one correct position.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:31 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

To me your box looks like it was sprayed with cast blast then the cover with silver. If your going to keep it the cast blast color then those cover bolts should be black oxide If your doing black then paint the bolts.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:35 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Old 08-06-2018, 10:41 AM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

Steering gears for 63-67 were painted black before they were shipped to the St Louis assembly plant.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:10 AM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Thanks for all the info. When I take it out, do I keep the pitman arm on? Was the pitman arm semi gloss black as well?

Ed

Last edited by emdoller; 08-06-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:45 PM
65vette396
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 119 Posts

I may stand corrected, but the pitman arm should be natural.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:13 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by emdoller
Thanks for all the info. When I take it out, do I keep the pitman arm on? Was the pitman arm semi gloss black as well?

Ed
Ed:

I would leave the pitman arm attached to the steering box. It is a bear to remove and reinstall.........and you do not need to do this. Also, what month was your car built?? The steering box cover part full part number was only on the early cars before about December. Later cars after this had only the last four digits. But you don't want to try and change it by yourself...........or if you do, know that it might involve a bit of work to get the preload right on the gears. I remembered that your car was a late car (although I may be wrong).

Per NCRS JM: Pitman arm is semi-gloss black for manual steering (#3829452) and natural for power steering equipped cars (#3741383).

Larry
Old 08-06-2018, 05:18 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Ed
The steering gear was painted without the pitman arm and that's the way it arrived at the St Louis plant.

The complete tie rod assembly, including idler arm and pitman arm was supposed to be coated with chassis black so some may have wound up on the pitman arm.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:20 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Thanks Larry. My car was delivered early December so it looks like the cover is ok. Doesn’t seem like a difficult job to do but I’ve said that before. I’m still not sure I understand how I make sure that when I put it back together it all aligns such that the steering wheel remains centered.

Ed
Old 08-06-2018, 05:42 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Thanks Larry. My car was delivered early December so it looks like the cover is ok. Doesn’t seem like a difficult job to do but I’ve said that before. I’m still not sure I understand how I make sure that when I put it back together it all aligns such that the steering wheel remains centered.

Ed

If you leave the Pitman arm on the steering box, it has to go back on correctly on that end. If you remove the Pitman arm, then you have a bit more work to do for correct alignment. Just be careful when removing Pitman arm from steering linkage to not cut the rubber grease boot where Pitman arm connects to the steering linkage. (i.e. do NOT use a Pickle fork).

On the coupler end of the steering box, turn steering wheel to get front tires straight ahead and note position where the two bolts are that connect the coupling halves together. When reinstalling, if steering wheel has moved, just re-center steering wheel (1/2 of lock to lock) and the coupling should reconnect without any issues.

If you have to loosen the upper coupling half and slide it back to remove the steering box, just use a grease pencil and mark the steering shaft and coupling alignment before sliding the coupling up the shaft. I believe there is a machined flat spot in this area so you really can't get the upper coupling alignment wrong, but the grease pencil match-marks will also provide original alignment. You can't really get things wrong. I just finished this job on my friends car during a body off restoration, and it easy to get everything aligned. I will walk you thru it if needed..........so don't concern yourself with this detail. Just have a bit of fun fixing things.

Larry

Old 08-06-2018, 05:45 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Thanks Larry. I’ll start on this next week!

Ed
Old 08-07-2018, 09:39 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Critter1

The complete tie rod assembly, including idler arm and pitman arm was supposed to be coated with chassis black so some may have wound up on the pitman arm.
With manual steering, the pitman arm arrived at St. Louis as an integral part of the steering linkage assembly, which was painted that sticky chassis black at Chevrolet-Buffalo prior to shipment; the hole in the pitman arm was one of the hang points on the paint hook at Buffalo (the top bolt hole in the idler arm bracket was the other one), and the pitman arm may or may not show chassis black coverage. I watched this operation at Buffalo.

With power steering, the unique pitman arm was produced at Chevrolet-Detroit Forge, and arrived at St. Louis with a natural unpainted forged finish; it remained that way, and was added to the (also unique) power steering linkage asssembly in the power steering subassembly bench assembly and fluid fill/bleeding fixture on the frame upside-down line.

Top arm in photo below is for power steering, bottom arm is for manual steering.

The following users liked this post:
Brian VH McHale (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 10:24 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Thanks John. I have PS and will leave it unfinished.

Ed
Old 08-08-2018, 09:14 AM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

By the way, the practice of coating the steering linkage with black eventually ended at some point during the C3 era. I don't know exactly when this stopped though. Some claim that the coating process continued through the end of C3 production but that's not the case. I'm sure the C3 folks will know.

Get notified of new replies

To 67 steering box colors

Old 08-10-2018, 11:34 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

I believe the castings were painted at the foundry and shipped to the machining/ assembly plant so the castings would not be rusty. I was very thin paint.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:42 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by kenba
I believe the castings were painted at the foundry and shipped to the machining/ assembly plant so the castings would not be rusty. I was very thin paint.
The pitman arms weren't castings - they were forgings - the manual arms were forged at Buffalo, where they were assembled into the steering linkage, and the power steering arm was forged at Detroit Forge and shipped to St. Louis.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:40 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The pitman arms weren't castings - they were forgings - the manual arms were forged at Buffalo, where they were assembled into the steering linkage, and the power steering arm was forged at Detroit Forge and shipped to St. Louis.
John I was talking about the steering gear housing not the forged pitman arm. Sorry if I confused some. I think most of the paint came off when the cast iron housing was machined.

Quick Reply: 67 steering box colors