C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Air Bubble in 1963

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 10:12 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,554 Likes on 2,797 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

When you park on a hill, do it sideways with the expansion tank at the highest point.

Best of luck!
The following users liked this post:
ricoman (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 12:26 AM
ricoman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GOOD Idea....!! THANKS...
Old 08-10-2018, 08:52 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by ricoman
N

...gauge will go back and forth from 180-260-200-180-260 and then back down to normal...assuming an air bubble in system...

....OR..anyone have any suggestions....dont want to use car with temp. gauge going crazy like that and possible engine damage...and..YES...its a new gauge,so thats not the cause...
Well thats not very encouraging,but I've been disapointed before....so,you dont think its heater hose placement....??

As far as I can tell, you have never verified your engine is actually getting hot. You've just assumed it is because your newly installed temperature is waving at you.

I suggested way back that you let the engine idle with the cap off and if the temperatures were going as high as you posted, that you would be shooting steam out of the overflo tank with the cap off. Have you tried this?

I also suggested that even if you did have air in the system, after one or two hot/cold cycles of the engine will allow the coolant to stabilize and you should be able to top off normally, even if your heater hose T is on the wrong hose.

I further suggested that if you do have air in the system that won't go away, you could have compression leaking into your cooling system. An easy way to check for this is to remove the thermostat housing and thermostat and watch for a constant flow of bubbles coming to the surface.
ricoman (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 11:54 AM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Alas I was incorrect on the Air cleaner base....It does indeed appear to be a 63 base (Thin tube vs the wide PCV fitting) Its still installed in reverse, But I'm not sure how you fit it on a Holley since its designed for a smaller opening AFB. Good luck with the gauge issue.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:26 PM
ricoman
Advanced

Originally Posted by DucatiDon
Alas I was incorrect on the Air cleaner base....It does indeed appear to be a 63 base (Thin tube vs the wide PCV fitting) Its still installed in reverse, But I'm not sure how you fit it on a Holley since its designed for a smaller opening AFB. Good luck with the gauge issue.
Hi Don,
I was pretty sure it was right...if not,the Corvette company I deal with messed up...as far as it all fitting,to be honest,I purchased everything to do the engine compartment,etc,over a 6-8 month period,and by time I had it all together,I had back issues (finally had surgery)..and just couldnt do it myself,so sent car and all the parts to my mechanic who I trust and have used for 20+ years on my company vehicles....he put it all together,and thats how I got it back....it fit,it worked,and although I tried to get everything correct...sure there are a few mistakes.....Hopefully I'll get to the gauge/bubble issue this weekend......will keep the forum and all the guys that helped posted....!
Have a great weekend..
G
Old 08-10-2018, 04:33 PM
ricoman
Advanced

Originally Posted by MikeM
As far as I can tell, you have never verified your engine is actually getting hot. You've just assumed it is because your newly installed temperature is waving at you.

I suggested way back that you let the engine idle with the cap off and if the temperatures were going as high as you posted, that you would be shooting steam out of the overflo tank with the cap off. Have you tried this?

I also suggested that even if you did have air in the system, after one or two hot/cold cycles of the engine will allow the coolant to stabilize and you should be able to top off normally, even if your heater hose T is on the wrong hose.

I further suggested that if you do have air in the system that won't go away, you could have compression leaking into your cooling system. An easy way to check for this is to remove the thermostat housing and thermostat and watch for a constant flow of bubbles coming to the surface.
Hi Mike....
And,I'm going to take your suggestions first....before I change any hoses...Your just the first guy who finally LMK that it doesnt matter if hoses are mixed up on the Tee....I thought for sure that was the problem...but now that you say it wont matter,will save that for last....
My plan of action is to boil some water and put gauge sensor in to see if gauge is working correct like another suggested and also do same for theromstat.....then I'll run it thru a couple cycles as you suggested....and park on hill to refill....and take it from there.....
Have a great weekend,
G
Old 08-10-2018, 04:57 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

How old are your radiator hoses? Does you bottom hose have a spring in it to keep it from collapsing? Make sure it is not collapsing as that will cause cooling problems.
ricoman (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 05:00 PM
ricoman
Advanced

Originally Posted by 68hemi
How old are your radiator hoses? Does you bottom hose have a spring in it to keep it from collapsing? Make sure it is not collapsing as that will cause cooling problems.
Thanks for the reply...
Hoses are brand new,as is everything in engine compartment,except the original expansion tank...to be honest,I dont remember if they have a spring in them....I bought from well known Corvette company as exact replacements...but wont hurt to check that also.....looks like I'll be spending a weekend of troubleshooting instead of driving... :-)
Have a great weekend...
G
Old 08-10-2018, 05:49 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,329 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Here's the other (closed) thread on this:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 08-10-2018 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:21 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you're trying to fix. You said early on, you didn't want to drive the car with the gauge fluctuating like that for fear of damaging the engine.

You trying to fix a hot engine or a fluctuating gauge?
Old 08-10-2018, 06:38 PM
ricoman
Advanced

Originally Posted by MikeM
Maybe I am misunderstanding what you're trying to fix. You said early on, you didn't want to drive the car with the gauge fluctuating like that for fear of damaging the engine.

You trying to fix a hot engine or a fluctuating gauge?
Hot engine...I'm figuring it is an air pocket causing the gauge to fluctuate...because sometimes the gauge will come back down to 180 and stay fine....sometimes it goes up to 260 and fluctuates in the 220-260+ range and stays for a while....it will literally jump from 180 to 260 and be everywhere inbetween for 10-15-20 minutes.....It just seems like its an air bubble moving around doing it...BUT...I'm no expert,so thats why I asked this forum....and yes....gauge is now 2nd one...so sure its not the problem..but going to boil some water and test it out tomorrow just in case....Someone mentioned my hoses where the T is are wrong...then some guys say it doesnt matter....so...I'm a little more than confused and just going to go over everything one step at a time and keep fingers crossed....
What I do know for sure is everything is new,including a hi-flow rad./and water pump....cap/thermo/hoses/...and its not a compression leak....and not losing fluid.....Its never overheated,but you can feel the engine heat more when it happens when driving...so,I'm totally stumped... :-(
George
Old 08-11-2018, 04:23 PM
ricoman
Advanced

Originally Posted by MarkC
OP, make sure the expansion tank is connected to the return heater hose. The return hose is smaller diameter.
Hi Mark,
So,another member sent me a diagram from corvette manual showing TOP hose 3/4" coming from heater on firewall it the one Tee'd off to Expansion tank and then to Water Pump....and the lower hose on firewall is the "smaller (5/8") hose and goes direct to manifold.....Mine is as you say...but according to picture...(think its down below on the thread)..its wrong....so thinking I need to change them around....sounds like that could be the problem,yet I've gotten 3-4 different replies,which makes it confusing.....
Going to take it out today if it stops raining,and run with cap off also...and maybe drill the small hole in thermo flange as some suggested.....checked gauge this morning and its fine....
Have a great weekend,
G
Old 08-11-2018, 05:23 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

[QUOTE=ricoman;1597773352]Hi Mark,
So,another member sent me a diagram from corvette manual showing TOP hose 3/4" coming from heater on firewall it the one Tee'd off to Expansion tank and then to Water Pump....and the lower hose on firewall is the "smaller (5/8") hose and goes direct to manifold.....Mine is as you say...but according to picture...(think its down below on the thread)..its wrong....so thinking I need to change them around....sounds like that could be the problem,yet I've gotten 3-4 different replies,which makes it confusing.....
Going to take it out today if it stops raining,and run with cap off also...and maybe drill the small hole in thermo flange as some suggested.....checked gauge this morning and its fine....
Have a great weekend,
G[/QUOT

The smaller diameter, 5/8, is the return hose and goes to the water pump. It should have the T for the expansion tank. The 3/4 hose off the manifold should go straight to your heater. If your T is in the 3/4 hose it will force coolant out of your expansion tank when you acceralate. Over time your system gets air in the system. When I bought my car 6 years ago it was set up backwards and thanks to JohnZ I got it corrected.
ricoman (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 06:07 PM
ricoman
Advanced

[QUOTE=MarkC;1597773637]
Hi Mark,
Have a great weekend,
G[/QUOT

Hi Mark...Yes I think your right...and actually right in the middle of changing it around and going to buy some new hose....I attached a photo....I'm rerouting it exactly as in photo...as far as the actual size hose...maybe he worte wrong sizes on diagram,or you mixed it up....right now,my 3/4" will be the one with the T and running from top of firewall to water pump....and my 5/8" hose will be going direct from lower firewall to intake....correct?? Sure hope so.....if all fitting right,just needed new 3 ft length of 5/8.....I also googled photo of the set up,and it looks right..and actually saw a professional mechanic doing hoses on a Mustang (AHHHHH)....but at end said,this is how it works on ford,chevy..etc....so sure hope this is the end of my problem...

The smaller diameter, 5/8, is the return hose and goes to the water pump. It should have the T for the expansion tank. The 3/4 hose off the manifold should go straight to your heater. If your T is in the 3/4 hose it will force coolant out of your expansion tank when you acceralate. Over time your system gets air in the system. When I bought my car 6 years ago it was set up backwards and thanks to JohnZ I got it corrected.
Hi Mark...Yes I think your right...and actually right in the middle of changing it around and going to buy some new hose....I attached a photo....I'm rerouting it exactly as in photo...as far as the actual size hose...maybe he worte wrong sizes on diagram,or you mixed it up....right now,my 3/4" will be the one with the T and running from top of firewall to water pump....and my 5/8" hose will be going direct from lower firewall to intake....correct?? Sure hope so.....if all fitting right,just needed new 3 ft length of 5/8.....I also googled photo of the set up,and it looks right..and actually saw a professional mechanic doing hoses on a Mustang (AHHHHH)....but at end said,this is how it works on ford,chevy..etc....so sure hope this is the end of my problem...

Old 08-11-2018, 06:28 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

My car has aftermarket air so the heater connections are different. The size hose shouldn’t make a difference. Good luck on fixing the issue.
ricoman (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 07:40 PM
ricoman
Advanced

My car has aftermarket air so the heater connections are different. The size hose shouldn’t make a difference. Good luck on fixing the issue.
Thanks Mark...
Just finished it,looks exactly as photo..everything fits right.....but cant take for test drive till tomorrow....its raining again in WA...LOL
Enjoy your weekend....hope driving your Vette...
George
Old 08-11-2018, 09:32 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

It’s raining in VA too. Good luck.
ricoman (08-11-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Air Bubble in 1963

Old 08-11-2018, 10:35 PM
ricoman
Advanced

It’s raining in VA too. Good luck.
LOL..!!! yeah,but it ALWAYS rains in WA.....I'm from NJ....so use to the weather where you are....\
I really wanted to go for drive tonight...but black clouds and on again off again rain....hopefully tomorrow.....
Thanks for your help and will keep the group posted on my drama....!!
Regards,
George
Old 08-12-2018, 05:27 AM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

Are you sure that your temperature sensor is compatible with your gage?
Old 08-12-2018, 12:49 PM
ricoman
Advanced

Default Are you sure that your temperature sensor is compatible with your gauge?

Originally Posted by Chapter2
Are you sure that your temperature sensor is compatible with your gage?
I'd think so as it came as one unit....its not the original in dash,that one went bad years ago,and when I had the car set up for racing back then I just installed an aftermarket under the dash....so its one unit out of the box.....and yes...I've changed the gauge...so both are doing the same thing,so not bad....I'm pretty sure problem was the way the heater hoses were hooked up.....Another member sent me a diagram and the guy I let install the engine mixed them up....I've worked on this car for 40+ years...one time,except for paint I let someone else do the work cause I'm getting up there in age and bad back....and they screw it up...."If you want something done right,do it yourself"...LOL
I changed the hoses around yesterday,and if the rain stops today,I'll take it out for test.....
Thanks for your reply,
G

Quick Reply: Air Bubble in 1963