C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Air Bubble in 1963

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 06:25 PM
ricoman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your the man

Originally Posted by buns
ricoman, your heater hoses are not correct. Top hose goes to the expansion tank.

Mr.BUNS....
Your the man..!! A big thanks to the entire group..great guys...but you hit it on the head...Yesterday I changed the hoses around......couldnt take out then,but just got back from a 50 mile trip and I put that baby thru the numbers....warmed it up in driveway......took out at all speeds to about 75mph...went thru town at 25mph....back to highway....entire time that gauge needle was NOT moving from 170...got home...let it idle in drive after that workout,cracked open a beer and watched needle move to just shy of 180....still there when beer was done..!! 40+ years...one time I let someone else work on it and thats what I got...mixed up hoses......and I feel stupid for not even noticing it...But...I owe ya dinner anytime your out this way..!!
Old 08-12-2018, 06:28 PM
ricoman
Advanced

Default Fixed!!

[QUOTE=Factoid;1597763503]
When you park on a hill, do it sideways with the expansion tank at the highest point.

Best of luck!

HEY BUDDY...better hurry out here for that beer..cause I'm gonna finish it all off tonight....!! Its fixed......I pasted my reply below that I sent to BUNS...he picked up on the mixed hoses real fast..!! Not sure if entire group sees this,but thanks to EVERYONE.....its been an interesting 2-3 days......!

Mr.BUNS....
Your the man..!! A big thanks to the entire group..great guys...but you hit it on the head...Yesterday I changed the hoses around......couldnt take out then,but just got back from a 50 mile trip and I put that baby thru the numbers....warmed it up in driveway......took out at all speeds to about 75mph...went thru town at 25mph....back to highway....entire time that gauge needle was NOT moving from 170...got home...let it idle in drive after that workout,cracked open a beer and watched needle move to just shy of 180....still there when beer was done..!! 40+ years...one time I let someone else work on it and thats what I got...mixed up hoses......and I feel stupid for not even noticing it...But...I owe ya dinner anytime your out this way..!!
Old 08-12-2018, 06:29 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Glad to hear you fixed it.
The following users liked this post:
ricoman (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 06:30 PM
ricoman
Advanced

Not sure it entire group sees this,but wanted to thank EVERYONE for the help and suggestions.....ITS FIXED.....Hoses crossed....feeling real stupid right now...!

Mr.BUNS....
Old 08-12-2018, 06:31 PM
ricoman
Advanced

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by MikeM
Glad to hear you fixed it.
Thanks Mike....right now I'm happier than a Pig in *#@&@....Beers are on me..!
Old 08-12-2018, 06:32 PM
ricoman
Advanced

Default Thanks

Thanks Mike....right now I'm happier than a Pig in *#@&@....Beers are on me..![/QUOTE]

Old 08-12-2018, 09:38 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,546 Likes on 2,794 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

[QUOTE=ricoman;1597779193]
Originally Posted by Factoid
When you park on a hill, do it sideways with the expansion tank at the highest point.

Best of luck!

HEY BUDDY...better hurry out here for that beer..cause I'm gonna finish it all off tonight....!! Its fixed......I pasted my reply below that I sent to BUNS...he picked up on the mixed hoses real fast..!! Not sure if entire group sees this,but thanks to EVERYONE.....its been an interesting 2-3 days......!

Hey, that’s great, congrats!

I haven’t forgotten about that beer or two or three. You won’t get rid of me that easy!
ricoman (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 09:55 PM
ricoman
Advanced

[QUOTE=Factoid;1597780215]
Originally Posted by ricoman

Hey, that’s great, congrats!

I haven’t forgotten about that beer or two or three. You won’t get rid of me that easy!
ANYTIME.....but you gotta drive that beautiful Vette of yours up here...!!
I'm happier than a pig in @*#&#^....and cant wait till next weekend to go out and tear up the roads AGAIN...it was a blast driving today and seeing the gauge stay at 170..!!
G
Old 08-13-2018, 09:34 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

[QUOTE=MarkC;1597773637]
Hi Mark,
So,another member sent me a diagram from corvette manual showing TOP hose 3/4" coming from heater on firewall it the one Tee'd off to Expansion tank and then to Water Pump....and the lower hose on firewall is the "smaller (5/8") hose and goes direct to manifold.....Mine is as you say...but according to picture...(think its down below on the thread)..its wrong....so thinking I need to change them around....sounds like that could be the problem,yet I've gotten 3-4 different replies,which makes it confusing.....
Going to take it out today if it stops raining,and run with cap off also...and maybe drill the small hole in thermo flange as some suggested.....checked gauge this morning and its fine....
Have a great weekend,
G

The smaller diameter, 5/8, is the return hose and goes to the water pump. It should have the T for the expansion tank. The 3/4 hose off the manifold should go straight to your heater. If your T is in the 3/4 hose it will force coolant out of your expansion tank when you acceralate. Over time your system gets air in the system. When I bought my car 6 years ago it was set up backwards and thanks to JohnZ I got it corrected.
NOPE. The 5/8" hose is the supply line, and runs from the intake manifold fitting to the bottom heater core inlet nipple. The 3/4" hose is the return line, and runs from the upper heater core nipple to the "T", and then to the water pump inlet. There's no such thing as an "air bubble" - any entrapped air from a fresh fill disappears the first time you remove the expansion tank cap.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:15 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Thanks John, it’s nice to see you way in on this.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:23 PM
ricoman
Advanced

[QUOTE=JohnZ;1597786491]
Originally Posted by MarkC
[left]

NOPE. The 5/8" hose is the supply line, and runs from the intake manifold fitting to the bottom heater core inlet nipple. The 3/4" hose is the return line, and runs from the upper heater core nipple to the "T", and then to the water pump inlet. There's no such thing as an "air bubble" - any entrapped air from a fresh fill disappears the first time you remove the expansion tank cap.
Hi John...
Thanks for the reply to post..but not sure why the NOPE...cause I routed them exactly as you say....and exactly as the diagram above shows.....3/4" from Water Pump to T to Upper Heater core....and 5/8" from manifold direct to lower heater core......If you look at photo I posted when I first posted,they were NOT like that..and mixed.....I changed them around over weekend and the baby ran 170 and perfect..!! Thanks for info on the "Air Bubble"....I just assumed that was problem the way the gauge was always going crazy.....SO>>>>I got it right now...thanks to many on the forum...!!!
Old 08-14-2018, 02:48 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

[QUOTE=ricoman;1597790636]
Originally Posted by JohnZ

Hi John...
Thanks for the reply to post..but not sure why the NOPE...cause I routed them exactly as you say....and exactly as the diagram above shows.....3/4" from Water Pump to T to Upper Heater core....and 5/8" from manifold direct to lower heater core......If you look at photo I posted when I first posted,they were NOT like that..and mixed.....I changed them around over weekend and the baby ran 170 and perfect..!! Thanks for info on the "Air Bubble"....I just assumed that was problem the way the gauge was always going crazy.....SO>>>>I got it right now...thanks to many on the forum...!!!

Well, somebody help me out here.

If the T was on the wrong hose and somehow the water pump was able to suck all the water out of the expansion tank along with putting some air into the system, I can see how that would make the gauge fluctuate. The sending units I have experience with though won't read hot with air around them, they just don't register or they would fluctuate between cold and normal.

That said, if the water pump could suck air into the system from the expansion tank, there had to be air in the cooling system somewhere in order for the cooling system to take in the extra coolant. But once the engine cooled, the system should burp and it would be full except for the expansion tank.

I still don't see how putting the T on the wrong hose caused this problem. Anyone want to explain it to me?

PS. We used to get air bubbles around the ECT sensor in the plant after radiator evac/fill, after running for a couple minutes in toe in and after about a three minute dyno roll test. The cars would fail the OBD self test because the ECT sensor had an air bubble around it and would read the engine was up to temperature.

I forgot to mention, the OP indicated (but never confirmed) his engine wasn't overheating yet his gauge was making swings from cold to really hot so what caused this if if wasn't an air bubble?

Last edited by MikeM; 08-14-2018 at 02:55 PM.
ricoman (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 02:58 PM
ricoman
Advanced

[QUOTE=MikeM;1597790831]

Well, somebody help me out here.

If the T was on the wrong hose and somehow the water pump was able to suck all the water out of the expansion tank along with putting some air into the system, I can see how that would make the gauge fluctuate. The sending units I have experience with though won't read hot with air around them, they just don't register or they would fluctuate between cold and normal.

That said, if the water pump could suck air into the system from the expansion tank, there had to be air in the cooling system somewhere in order for the cooling system to take in the extra coolant. But once the engine cooled, the system should burp and it would be full except for the expansion tank.

I still don't see how putting the T on the wrong hose caused this problem. Anyone want to explain it to me?

PS. We used to get air bubbles around the ECT sensor in the plant after radiator evac/fill, after running for a couple minutes in toe in and after about a three minute dyno roll test. The cars would fail the OBD self test because the ECT sensor had an air bubble around it and would read the engine was up to temperature.
Hi Mike...I'm with you...can somebody explain.....I wont ask if I got it right now,cause it seems to be running fine,but will test drive again over weekend....BUT..yes..my gauge fluctuated like crazy...but NOT between cold and normal...only between normal (170)...untill it buried the needle at 265....and depending on its mood..everywhere inbetween....total mystery to me,but sure there is a logical answer....my photo and the one of the diagram tells the story....one is right,one is wrong.....
Old 08-14-2018, 08:28 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Looks like there is no good answer?
ricoman (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 08:35 PM
ricoman
Advanced

Default Looks like there is no good answer?

Originally Posted by MikeM
Looks like there is no good answer?
Yep,agreed,and as you can see from all the guys who answered with many different remedies,its a mystery.......but I sure like the answer that solved my problem....AND....still tend to believe it WAS the hoses mixed up...I did as another said...just one remedy at a time so I could find out what it was....and since I had tried 3-4 of those already,I choose the hoses....its now fixed,so have to say that was it all along......And hopefully will get a few months of road trip in before the rain and nasty weather sets in here......
Thanks again for all your help..!!
G

Old 08-14-2018, 10:00 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

[QUOTE=ricoman;1597790636]
Originally Posted by JohnZ

Hi John...
Thanks for the reply to post..but not sure why the NOPE...cause I routed them exactly as you say...
Look again - I was quoting MarkC, not you.
ricoman (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 10:14 PM
ricoman
Advanced

Default Look again - I was quoting MarkC, not you

[QUOTE=JohnZ;1597793531]

Look again - I was quoting MarkC, not you.
How right you are again..!!! Still getting use to the group and how to reply and post....but YES..I see now where Mike had wrong sized ,etc in his reply...glad I missed it,cause thats exactly how they were and started the problem...I think it just got a little confusing for alot on the forum,and thats why I just went with the diagram BUNS sent me...I also checked my books and found same diagram,so followed that....always the SIMPLE things that screw with you....!
George

Quick Reply: Air Bubble in 1963