C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Leaf springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 09:05 PM
vdetel
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Leaf springs

I removed and disassembled my heavy duty original grooved leaf springs and found on 1 set , the main leaf was cracked . So I ordered a new set from CC but when I received them I noticed a height difference. The original ones standing on floor upside down measured 8" from floor to center pin and the new set measured 7" from floor to center pin. I have looked through my assembly manual and chassis restoration manual and here on the forum for correct height but cannot locate that number. It could be previous owner had them arched that way but I would like to know for sure. I read this forum almost daily and find there are a lot of opinions on here and then there is also a lot of accurate info on here . I would like some response from the more informed members ( a response from Frankie would be appreciated). That you for reading.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:50 PM
Hermn59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 667 Likes on 349 Posts

Try this thread from FTF. Between him and JohnZ you should be covered.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-the-61-a.html
The following users liked this post:
vdetel (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 05:51 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

That thread discusses the "free arch" measurement for the standard 4 leaf springs; I have no idea if the "heavy duty" spring free arch would be different...

Free arch on standard springs is 5-1/2" to 5-3/4" - make sure you measure it correctly...

You could contact Eaton springs out of Detroit and ask them about the heavy duty free arch...
vdetel (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 07:23 PM
vdetel
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
That thread discusses the "free arch" measurement for the standard 4 leaf springs; I have no idea if the "heavy duty" spring free arch would be different...

Free arch on standard springs is 5-1/2" to 5-3/4" - make sure you measure it correctly...

You could contact Eaton springs out of Detroit and ask them about the heavy duty free arch...
I read attached thread and then remeasured from center of hole to top of leaf and came to 5 -13/16 which is almost at your measurement of 5 3/4 on new spring set so I may settle with that unless I get different info from Eaton . I appreciate the feedback from you both - thank you . Is there a market for the remainder of my old springs ?
Old 08-13-2018, 07:31 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by vdetel
I read attached thread and then remeasured from center of hole to top of leaf and came to 5 -13/16 which is almost at your measurement of 5 3/4 on new spring set so I may settle with that unless I get different info from Eaton . I appreciate the feedback from you both - thank you . Is there a market for the remainder of my old springs ?
The cracked ones - almost nobody would want them....any healthy C1 springs with the groove will sell quickly...they aren't reproduced and many originals are cracked or rust-pitted.

"Good" originals can be re-annealed, shot-peened, re-arched and "brought back"...

Eaton does it...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Eaton_Spring.pdf (1.58 MB, 59 views)

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 08-13-2018 at 07:41 PM.
vdetel (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 09:34 PM
vdetel
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
The cracked ones - almost nobody would want them....any healthy C1 springs with the groove will sell quickly...they aren't reproduced and many originals are cracked or rust-pitted.

"Good" originals can be re-annealed, shot-peened, re-arched and "brought back"...

Eaton does it...
Thank you Frankie , I value your opinion. I have many original parts to sell as I am not worried about stock parts such as steering components , brake components , generator , grill ,electric window motors, all of my exterior trim . Going back with R&P , disc brakes , etc. but don't have them cleaned up yet to sell . Will post all before winter.

Get notified of new replies

To Leaf springs

Quick Reply: [C1] Leaf springs