C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] '62 Corvette gets '63 Latham Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 01:06 AM
Northfeather
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default '62 Corvette gets '63 Latham Supercharger

Hello ya all
Thought I'd share a fun project in the works...especially since Tom Parsons has helped so many on here and has helped me via phone and his detailed posts.
I found this matching numbers 250 HP car and intended to simply create a very enjoyable driver with a concours paint job since I love to paint!
Whilst getting greasy with a complete rear end rebuild, I found a 1963 Latham Supercharger on accident from a fellow HAMB member, which he purchased new in 1963. Well, a nice long story short...I'm now the second owner of said Latham!
So the rear axle came together well with a new Eaton Posi unit in a non posi center section and some head scratching and Tom's help. I've always sent rear axles out to the pros but for some reason I just wanted to do/learn how-to on this one. I'm glad I did, it's pretty neat to know that I rebuilt the rear end. I didn't save any money or time but I did it!
Went for a 15 minute test drive, came back and proceeded to pull the engine and entire front suspension apart.
It's still being built as a fun driver but now I want to create "for the most part" a late 1963/1964 build, as if I was alive then(which I was not).
I plan to contact Impact Restorations regarding the '57 barnfind with a Latham they worked on but if anyone knows of another C1 with a Latham, I'd love to learn more about the aluminum block that is supposed to go between the third arm mount and the cross member. Guessing as to it's thickness seems like a long row to hoe?
And I'd love any insights from any of you long time Corvette lovers! This is my first '62 I've owned, always thought I'd get a '59 next but the 327 won!
Old 08-20-2018, 09:23 AM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

Nice project, and a nice Corvette
Will all of that fit under the hood?
Old 08-20-2018, 09:26 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

That is going to be COOL!

Can't wait to see that under the hood.

Pat
Old 08-20-2018, 11:02 AM
Hermn59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 667 Likes on 349 Posts

Looking forward to the progress.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:08 AM
Northfeather
Advanced

Originally Posted by solidaxel
Nice project, and a nice Corvette
Will all of that fit under the hood?
According to the original instructions, some minor grinding may be necessary on the hood brace.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:57 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

It's been 40+yrs since I've seen one of those. I almost forgot they existed.
Another blower that I have not seen for a long time, is a Potvin. Those mounted to the front of the engine in line with the crankshaft and had big tubes snaking up to the intake manifold.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:28 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

Cool pressure cooker! I'm sure you already have this on the to-do list, but I would make sure to upgrade the brakes and suspension too, to match the extra ooomf under the hood.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:55 PM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

Received 419 Likes on 246 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Nice Paint!!! I'm jealous. Isn't Tom and encyclopedia of knowledge and so will to share.

BH
Old 08-20-2018, 01:56 PM
Harold Davis
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would like to see how that works. I have a 63 blower in the garage and have looked at for years. It came off the 63 that my boss owned in 1963. He drag raced it for years.

As I understand it there are two different stage units out there. Not for sure what I have . It has Weber side drafts on it now.

Please keep us posted. I might have to install it on one of the C1`s

Harold
Old 08-20-2018, 02:25 PM
Northfeather
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chapter2
Cool pressure cooker! I'm sure you already have this on the to-do list, but I would make sure to upgrade the brakes and suspension too, to match the extra ooomf under the hood.
Howdy Chapter2, it already had a front disc brake conversion and I'm ok keeping that one, it's hidden for the most part. I went with a mono leaf rear spring setup. Eaton Posi and new Richmond Gear 3.70 axle combo. New drive draft will be built. And the entire front end will be fresh but that's it. I'm not a maniac so it'll be fine with those alone.
The following users liked this post:
Tonio (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 02:27 PM
Northfeather
Advanced

Originally Posted by 62cruiseer
Nice Paint!!! I'm jealous. Isn't Tom and encyclopedia of knowledge and so will to share.

BH
Paint...ahhhhh, the power of pictures!!!!!! The paint is crappy actually. Once all the mechanicals are sorted, paint will be next.
And a big yes to Tom!
Old 08-20-2018, 02:33 PM
Northfeather
Advanced

Originally Posted by Harold Davis
I would like to see how that works. I have a 63 blower in the garage and have looked at for years. It came off the 63 that my boss owned in 1963. He drag raced it for years.

As I understand it there are two different stage units out there. Not for sure what I have . It has Weber side drafts on it now.

Please keep us posted. I might have to install it on one of the C1`s

Harold
Howdy Harold, sounds nice! Yes, regarding the different stage units. This is a ten stage for lower horsepower engines, this one was designed for a 9.5 to 1 compression ratio. Theoretically a 40% gain is very attainable, so perhaps 420-440 HP in the high rpm's. Who knows, I'm not doing it to make numbers or win a race...I simply want to have an incredibly fun/reliable/cool looking driver!!!
Old 08-20-2018, 02:46 PM
Northfeather
Advanced

Default Eaton Posi in non posi section

This was my first attempt and it was pretty cool to do actually. Makes a guy think and learn!
I followed Tom's instructions regarding changing the carrier housing to accept the Eaton.
One item for me was I don't have all the tools for everything. The throat on my press was too narrow to allow my axles to slip through, so I went to the local recycler and found some pieces that gained me some height. It may look hokey, but it was actually very stable and I cautiously pressed them out safely. Here's some photos just in case they help another one day? The two 1/8" flat stock pieces were to make up the height difference between the two salvage pieces I found.
I also needed a yoke flange, so my easy way out was to purchase two of these 1/4" pieces from Amazon and welded them together. 1/4" just seemed a bit weak and this will last me for the rest of my days. Worked great.

Old 08-20-2018, 02:50 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

I think you'll enjoy it. We had a club member here in No. Jersey many years ago who put on his '62 409. It was a tire burner!

Verne
Old 08-20-2018, 02:50 PM
Northfeather
Advanced

Default Posi photos

It only had a fifteen minute test run before the front end was torn apart but it seemed good. Fingers crossed. Really the best thing to say here...is thanks Tom

Old 08-20-2018, 02:53 PM
Northfeather
Advanced

Default Front suspension/engine/tranny removal

You know the drill, get greasy, organize everything and keep sweeping and wiping and scraping!

The following 2 users liked this post by Northfeather:
Kerrmudgeon (03-07-2021), ptjsk (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 03:22 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Northfeather
It only had a fifteen minute test run before the front end was torn apart but it seemed good. Fingers crossed. Really the best thing to say here...is thanks Tom

That trimmed gusset in the rearend case looks as if it was done at the factory!

Get notified of new replies

To '62 Corvette gets '63 Latham Supercharger

Old 08-20-2018, 03:23 PM
Dad's '66 427
Drifting

Received 1,555 Likes on 612 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
It's been 40+yrs since I've seen one of those. I almost forgot they existed.
Another blower that I have not seen for a long time, is a Potvin. Those mounted to the front of the engine in line with the crankshaft and had big tubes snaking up to the intake manifold.
Was the Potvin an actual supercharger, or just the mounting and plumbing kit to mount and drive a roots type supercharger off of the front of the crank? I have seen them on vintage front motor drag cars, especially dragsters. Moving the blower there at least gave the driver a way to see. Never really paid too much attention to them. Wonder how you increase the overdrive?

Injection is nice..... but I would rather be BLOWN.....
Old 08-20-2018, 07:39 PM
62vetteuk
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Dad's '66 427
Was the Potvin an actual supercharger, or just the mounting and plumbing kit to mount and drive a roots type supercharger off of the front of the crank? I have seen them on vintage front motor drag cars, especially dragsters. Moving the blower there at least gave the driver a way to see. Never really paid too much attention to them. Wonder how you increase the overdrive?

Injection is nice..... but I would rather be BLOWN.....
a kit as you say. I believe mooneyes still sell it
Old 08-20-2018, 08:15 PM
Northfeather
Advanced

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
That trimmed gusset in the rearend case looks as if it was done at the factory!
Nice to hear, now I'm fabricating some 2.5" blocks for the front suspension. Looking for that old school street look.
The following users liked this post:
LewLed (05-30-2021)

Quick Reply: [C1] '62 Corvette gets '63 Latham Supercharger