C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] 1966 4-speed clutch not working

Old 08-24-2018, 06:55 PM
Johnny 66
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 1966 4-speed clutch not working

Just went down to the garage to get the car running. 1966 300-327 4-speed. Have to admit, I hadn't even started it in about a year. Drove fine when I put it away.

Got it running just fine, but could not get it in reverse to back out of garage. There was some slop in the frame-side mount in the z-bar or bellcrank, tightened that up but no fix. Looking underneath while my 11 year old was pushing in the clutch, looks like the fork is coming back as far as it can, basically making contact with the back of the opening in the side of the transmission.

Can not get car in gear when running, and if put in gear and then try to start, it will lurch when trying to start.

Time for a new clutch? Appreciate any comments. (Yes, I know, I need to drive it more often!!)
Old 08-24-2018, 07:04 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,019 Likes on 679 Posts

It's likely just surface rusted together. Keep trying by letting the engine run. The heat cycle and the rotation may work it loose. If that fails, it would be good to have the tires off the ground and place in gear and run for a while or, if you have a safe area, just drive it a bit. I would not advise on the public highways. So, to stop, remember to kill the engine/switch. Most will usually break loose.
The following users liked this post:
Johnny 66 (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 07:10 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

What Pop said. I've broken them loose several times simply by putting the car in gear with the engine off, pushing in the clutch, and with my foot on the brake and both ends of the car clear and not pointed at walls, people, etc, hit the ignition. It will break loose and be fine.
Johnny 66 (08-25-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 07:20 PM
Vette5311
Le Mans Master

Received 1,249 Likes on 837 Posts
Default This has worked for me in the past

Originally Posted by GTOguy
What Pop said. I've broken them loose several times simply by putting the car in gear with the engine off, pushing in the clutch, and with my foot on the brake and both ends of the car clear and not pointed at walls, people, etc, hit the ignition. It will break loose and be fine.
Johnny 66 (08-25-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 08:04 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Agree. My 63 required that procedure to break the clutch loose when it was picked up.
Johnny 66 (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 12:23 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
x2. I would recommend 4th gear. Engine warmed up. Parking break also "on". It may take a few times with the starter, but it will break free. Done it many times here in wet/humid SE Louisiana.

Recently I had that issue, but rather than use the starter, I just pushed the car. Engine off, no breaks on, car in 4th gear. I would recommend having someone light in the car pushing in the clutch.............but believe it or not, I actually got the same result with no one in the car. Just me pushing and rocking the car. At age 71+ ( and in the heat of the day) it did tire me a bit, but I got it done without using the starter. Less wear and tear on the starter and engine block. It just takes a little bit of movement on the disc on the flywheel/pressure plate to free it up. Having a standard type clutch probably helped as it had to slip a bit to get the disc movement. In my case, the adhesion between clutch disc and flywheel was probably not great (just lucky that day). But using the starter WILL get it done.

This can also be done by starting the car in gear (1st) and then with the clutch pushed in, rev the engine and accelerate and decelerate a bit to also free it up. This requires some straight road and a bit of courage (or perhaps foolishness). But it also works and is effective.

Once you are successful, drive the car more often so it does not happen again. I try...........but occasionally fail.

Larry
Johnny 66 (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 12:05 PM
Johnny 66
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Guys, thanks for the inputs! Worked like a champ!

I rolled the car back in the garage to the door, and put it in 2nd gear and when I tried to start it, it lunged for just a second, and then fired right up!!

Couple laps around the black and she is purring like a kitten!!

I promise I will try to driver her more often!!

Thanks!! John
Old 08-25-2018, 12:25 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Johnny 66
Guys, thanks for the inputs! Worked like a champ!

I rolled the car back in the garage to the door, and put it in 2nd gear and when I tried to start it, it lunged for just a second, and then fired right up!!

Couple laps around the black and she is purring like a kitten!!

I promise I will try to driver her more often!!

Thanks!! John
Also if you're going to park it for long periods; leave the parking brake off and just chock the wheels...it can save you some trouble; prob more important with drum brakes but something to consider..

Johnny 66 (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 12:45 PM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

For storage, you can also block the clutch pedal so that the contact surfaces of the clutch are slightly separated.
Johnny 66 (08-25-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To 1966 4-speed clutch not working

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [C2] 1966 4-speed clutch not working