C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Second new clutch kit and still have chatter

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 09:00 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,554 Likes on 2,797 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by bj1k
I talked to McCleod yesterday about their Clutch set and he just said that their is a break-in period of 500 to 750 miles . So I guess I just have to jerk and hop down the road for the next couple summers . This can't be the answer . I have never seen this with a new clutch !
You and me both! That answer would cause me to rethink McCleod. Yes, some engagement chatter is common prior to break in, but not once the clutch is fully engaged. Your issue sounds like misalignment. Why did you change the clutch to begin with? Was the clutch slipping or did this problem exist with the old clutch?
Old 08-30-2018, 12:47 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

I think you got some good advice here especially about the pilot bushing.

DOM

PS, I also take acetone or similar (one that will dry quickly) and wipe all oily finger prints off the disc, plate, and fly wheel.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:13 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I keep overlooking that this is the second clutch kit with the same results - chatter. I don't think it's the clutch. The odds of getting two bad kits with the same bad behavior is too great. And a clutch may have a little more engagement distance until the fuzzies are worn off the disc and and maybe a bit of very slight shudder if slipping it - but you should not expect the problems you are having as part of break-in.

Last edited by DansYellow66; 08-30-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:32 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Factoid

You and me both! That answer would cause me to rethink McCleod. Yes, some engagement chatter is common prior to break in, but not once the clutch is fully engaged. Your issue sounds like misalignment. Why did you change the clutch to begin with? Was the clutch slipping or did this problem exist with the old clutch?
Ok let me explain this again . I started the restoration on this car for a customer back in 2015 and he just wanted a standard clutch kit installed ( nothing too expensive ) . So last October I bought the car from him as a project and finished the restoration and started to drive it in late July . I noticed that the clutch didn't engage smoothly but " worked perfectly on the road once engaged ". I wanted to install a better clutch kit hoping that it would solve the problem and through some research found that McCleod is supposed to be a good quality high performance clutch kit . As for break in period , I've been working on cars over fifty years and installed many new clutches without the chatter . Sure they work better after some initial break-in but shouldn't have any chatter in the meantime .

Old 08-30-2018, 08:37 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by domenic tallarita
I think you got some good advice here especially about the pilot bushing.

DOM

PS, I also take acetone or similar (one that will dry quickly) and wipe all oily finger prints off the disc, plate, and fly wheel.
Everything is new including the pilot bushing . I always clean all mating surfaces twice with lacquer thinner because they always ship them with an oil coating to keep the surfaces from rusting until they are installed . Failing to clean everything would definitely cause a problem .

Old 08-30-2018, 08:44 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
I keep overlooking that this is the second clutch kit with the same results - chatter. I don't think it's the clutch. The odds of getting two bad kits with the same bad behavior is too great. And a clutch may have a little more engagement distance until the fuzzies are worn off the disc and and maybe a bit of very slight shudder if slipping it - but you should not expect the problems you are having as part of break-in.
Dan , I keep hearing some mechanics saying that you should resurface a new flywheel for the clutch disc to have something to bite into . That's a new one on me . New flywheels always already had some mild broach marks on them . What's your thoughts on this one ?

Old 08-30-2018, 10:00 PM
skids
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

Are you torquing down clutch evenly? Failure to do so may cause distortion of the stamped steel cover of the clutch resulting in uneven clamping of the pressure plate, and contributes to a chatter condition.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:23 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by skids
are you torquing down clutch evenly? Failure to do so may cause distortion of the stamped steel cover of the clutch resulting in uneven clamping of the pressure plate, and contributes to a chatter condition.
yes

Old 08-31-2018, 08:45 AM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I had one a few years ago that would just about break your teeth out on engagement with two different clutches in it. I finally discovered that one of the pressure plate mounting holes in the flywheel had not been counter-bored sufficiently to accept the alignment shank portion of the corresponding bolt. When it was torqued down, there remained a very small air gap between the housing of the pressure plate and the flywheel surface. It was on the order of 0.020", very hard to notice on visual inspection. It almost drove me insane troubleshooting that problem.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:09 AM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

The chatter I had with my TKO600 was due to the warn out linkage and the bushings in the clutch shaft
The clutch &PP were new also
Old 08-31-2018, 11:05 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SupremeDeluxe
I had one a few years ago that would just about break your teeth out on engagement with two different clutches in it. I finally discovered that one of the pressure plate mounting holes in the flywheel had not been counter-bored sufficiently to accept the alignment shank portion of the corresponding bolt. When it was torqued down, there remained a very small air gap between the housing of the pressure plate and the flywheel surface. It was on the order of 0.020", very hard to notice on visual inspection. It almost drove me insane troubleshooting that problem.
I don't think there was an issue there but I will keep that in mind when I tear it back down to have the new flywheel checked . I am planning to take the whole flywheel and clutch kit with pressure plate to the machine shop to have it checked and possibly re-surfaced .

Old 08-31-2018, 11:07 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by solidaxel
The chatter I had with my TKO600 was due to the warn out linkage and the bushings in the clutch shaft
The clutch &PP were new also
I wish it was that simple but everything looks good there .

Old 09-01-2018, 06:35 AM
Drothgeb
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Did you check the flywheel’s runout when you installed it? The instructions that came with mine said .008” max. It was more like .002” installed.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:47 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Drothgeb
Did you check the flywheel’s runout when you installed it? The instructions that came with mine said .008” max. It was more like .002” installed.
That's where I am planning to go next . Took it out to a cruise last night and it was shaking violently when trying to start out slow . This week I am taking the flywheel out, bolting the clutch set "pressure plate and disc " to the flywheel and taking the whole unit to the machine shop to have it gone over . ( Balanced and trued ) Will report back when that is done . It's a shame that the quality of new parts are so bad when you pay the higher price for what is supposed to be quality parts .
Old 09-02-2018, 07:56 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

I am still looking at the new flywheel being the problem . This morning I found some more information on " CAUSES OF CLUTCH CHATTER OR SHUDDER " which convinced me that it has to go to the machine shop to be checked . No.# 1 Flywheel or clutch friction surface not parallel with the crank flange surface . And No.#2 Flywheel has an improper step or cup dimension . I found this information on an automotive blog powered by Summit Racing called " ON ALL CYLINDERS " By the way this new flywheel was bought at Summit .
Old 09-02-2018, 11:05 AM
ref772
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I owned a clutch rebuilding shop for 30 years and found many odd problems that caused clutch chatter that you would never think of. Some of the common ones are listed in no particular order. Just some things to check.

1. No marcel in the clutch tabs. The tabs are actually wave springs. This creates the small gap between the 2 clutch facings. You want apx. .020-.030" gap.
2. Incorrect pressure plate bolts. Make sure the shoulder on the bolts are not bottoming out in the flywheel before it tightens the pressure plate down. Check each hole and each bolt.
3. Uneven diaphragm fingers or levers. Fingers should be within .005" of each other. Diaphragm fingers can be about .015" off. Thats how we set them before going to a customer.
4. Incorrectly installed TO bearing.
5. Bent clutch disk. If you had trouble stabbing the trans, you can easily bend the disk. Put it on the input shaft or a spindle and check for runout. Max is apx. .020". Easily straightened by hand.
6. Hot spots on the flywheel or pressure plate.
7. Cracked bell housing.
8. Bad pilot bearing. I reccommend using a bushing. Seen too many bearings ruin an input shaft.
9. Transmission tail shaft bushing worn.
10. Excessive crankshaft endplay. I found this in a customers truck.
11. Bad or 'mushy' motor mounts or transmission mounts.
12. Rear spring shackle bushings or weak spring leaves. Mustangs were really bad about this.
13. Excessive play in ring gear & pinion. Actually found this on a customers car. Fixed the rear end and the chatter went away.
14. Grease or oil on the clutch. (Dirty hands). Chatters when cold, slips when hot.
15. Clutch facing material. Some brands of facings are more prone to chatter than others. The old obsolete asbestos facings were the best, but none have been available for years. Metallic facings will chatter.
16. Worn input shaft - both the splines and the pilot surface.
17. Worn trans quill. Thats the front bearing retainer that the TO bearing slides on. Found one where the quill had broken off and was missing.
18. Make sure the spring that holds the fork to the ball is keeping it in place. And that the pivot in the fork and the ball are not worn.
19. Tighten down the pressure plate bolts evenly in a crisscross pattern a little at a time.

These are some of the most common causes. Couldn't think of much more. I've been retired too long.

Last edited by ref772; 09-02-2018 at 11:07 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by ref772:
bj1k (09-02-2018), Loren Smith (09-07-2018), solidaxel (09-02-2018), SupremeDeluxe (09-03-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 10:41 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ref772
I owned a clutch rebuilding shop for 30 years and found many odd problems that caused clutch chatter that you would never think of. Some of the common ones are listed in no particular order. Just some things to check.

1. No marcel in the clutch tabs. The tabs are actually wave springs. This creates the small gap between the 2 clutch facings. You want apx. .020-.030" gap.
2. Incorrect pressure plate bolts. Make sure the shoulder on the bolts are not bottoming out in the flywheel before it tightens the pressure plate down. Check each hole and each bolt.
3. Uneven diaphragm fingers or levers. Fingers should be within .005" of each other. Diaphragm fingers can be about .015" off. Thats how we set them before going to a customer.
4. Incorrectly installed TO bearing.
5. Bent clutch disk. If you had trouble stabbing the trans, you can easily bend the disk. Put it on the input shaft or a spindle and check for runout. Max is apx. .020". Easily straightened by hand.
6. Hot spots on the flywheel or pressure plate.
7. Cracked bell housing.
8. Bad pilot bearing. I reccommend using a bushing. Seen too many bearings ruin an input shaft.
9. Transmission tail shaft bushing worn.
10. Excessive crankshaft endplay. I found this in a customers truck.
11. Bad or 'mushy' motor mounts or transmission mounts.
12. Rear spring shackle bushings or weak spring leaves. Mustangs were really bad about this.
13. Excessive play in ring gear & pinion. Actually found this on a customers car. Fixed the rear end and the chatter went away.
14. Grease or oil on the clutch. (Dirty hands). Chatters when cold, slips when hot.
15. Clutch facing material. Some brands of facings are more prone to chatter than others. The old obsolete asbestos facings were the best, but none have been available for years. Metallic facings will chatter.
16. Worn input shaft - both the splines and the pilot surface.
17. Worn trans quill. Thats the front bearing retainer that the TO bearing slides on. Found one where the quill had broken off and was missing.
18. Make sure the spring that holds the fork to the ball is keeping it in place. And that the pivot in the fork and the ball are not worn.
19. Tighten down the pressure plate bolts evenly in a crisscross pattern a little at a time.

These are some of the most common causes. Couldn't think of much more. I've been retired too long.
Have you ever got a new flywheel that was machined defective because upon removal of everything this morning I can see clues that the surface is not true . Half of the face looks normal and the other half has hot spots and actually looks like a series of blue dots from the heat only on one half of the flywheel. And I can see where the clutch disc is only rubbing on about a half inch toward the center of the flywheel indicating that the surface is higher on the inside of the flywheel . And the same rub marks are on the first new clutch disc that was in the car so both of these were on this flywheel with the same results . I will be taking the whole unit to the machine shop on Tuesday to be checked and will report back on this strange situation . I'm now sure it is going to be the flywheel , even though it is new .

Get notified of new replies

To Second new clutch kit and still have chatter

Old 09-03-2018, 07:28 AM
Drothgeb
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

What brand is the new flywheel?
Old 09-03-2018, 09:15 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Yes , I have. About 25 years ago I bought a new Hays 30 ib flywheel that was warped and the run out was crazy on it. I had bought it some months before so returning it would be difficult, so I took it to a nearby machine shop to have it surfaced. Unfortunately, they ground it dry and when I came back later to pick it up it was still blisteringly hot and we had to use rags to pick it up. It was still warped - not surprising so I went and got my money back and took it to another shop and they wet blanchard ground it and that flattened it out and it worked fine after that.

Last edited by DansYellow66; 09-03-2018 at 02:27 PM. Reason: mistakenly put down 25 lb flywheel - damn sinus infection
The following users liked this post:
bj1k (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 10:49 AM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Sounds like you found your problem (sure hope so) . Curious where you are going to take it. Pretty sure DLK has a Blanchard grinder.
The following users liked this post:
bj1k (09-03-2018)

Quick Reply: [C1] Second new clutch kit and still have chatter