C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Are you going to have gasoline in CA in 25 years for your Corvettes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 05:35 PM
64luke
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Old 09-13-2018, 07:07 PM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Received 2,339 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by SDVette
63_340HP:

Thanks for posting that (seriously!). It is an interesting read.

We agree on this: Climate science is not a mature field.

We don't know (and we can't know, I would argue) how the complex system will respond to input. We can only model it with ever-improving models, based on observation and the laws of science. And certainly, the early "doomsday" climate change scenarios were wrong, painting the term "climate change" with a bad brush.

But even the model you reference points to 20% of recent measured warming to be caused by humans.

Given that much of the world (India, China) is on the brink of massive industrial development.. and that it takes DECADES to reform existing infrastructure, it seems pretty crazy to me to keep our heads buried in the sand.

I won't post further on this thread. I prefer to discuss Corvettes with you guys..

Fred
Yes, the model reference points to 20% of recent measured warming to be caused by recent increases in CO2 by natural and human sources, a far different conclusion than the IPPC based models that claim a 60%+ magnitude caused by only human CO2 (a prior inflation error of over 200%). Natural CO2 increases are routinely discounted, and the reduction of methane hydrates from melting permafrost into atmospheric CO2 over time is just one large scale overlooked natural source.

As the CO2 heat transfer influence is adjusted downward in significance, that leaves the missing 40% to account for, in addition to the excess capacity of changing water vapor and cloud tops, and most of all the unstudied variables of decreased dimming aerosols and particulates since the globe's energy use transitioned from the 1880's. The dependence in 1880 on particulate heavy atmospheric pressure wood to atmospheric coal combustion, until the first cleaner petroleum energy impacts to the record hot 1930's occurred, is an overlooked factor (and surprising for a field that claims to be related to pollution identification and mediation science that finds California's current minimal atmospheric wood energy the #1 dimming particulate cause). Mainstream climate science also ignores the WW2 debris dimming and the subsequent explosive growth of smog pollution dimming and cooling that influenced the climate up until the mid-1970's, until effective pollution controls began to clean up the atmosphere to contribute to the warm 1980's and early 1990's, the accelerated warming rate of change that motivated the fears of catastrophic global warming (that continue to appear to be more of a rapid return to normal cyclical warming, without mankind's pollution and particulate debris artificially cooling the climate).

When an unbiased Scientist is asked if the atmospheric CO2 concentration has an impact on climate, an honest one says yes, but the same Scientist is ignored when they question the magnitude of CO2's influence. The same editorial by omission occurs when a Scientist is asked if mankind's activities influence the climate, with an affirmative answer, and ignored when they want to clarify that mankind has practiced both cooling and warming influences throughout history. This exposes the inherent flaw in the UN IPCC where the politicized focus is only on research supporting CO2's assumed warming influence, and mandated to ignore all of the valid science trying to properly account for all climate change influences.

Unfortunately CO2 based climate science is at a stage in understanding similar to geography before men sailed across the Atlantic, where CO2 fear is on everyone's mind just like the pre-Columbus horizon was considered flat and feared, because that was the comfortable prevailing settled science. Until climate science can rule out the magnitudes of alternate climate influences, all of the current climate models predict doom like the predictions of ships sailing off the edge of the earth.

We know the climate cannot warm forever because of the past 40 million years of climate history of cyclical ice ages with higher atmospheric CO2 concentrations, without knowing why, but catastrophic doom is much easier to exploit to generate social oppression rather than promote rational conservation of resources to prepare for global warming or cooling (and patience to assure mankind does not make mistakes that are more grave than premature reactions to immature climate science).
The following users liked this post:
tuxnharley (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 07:19 PM
1969RAY
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 112 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If only California politics were as clear and reasoned as the discussion between SDVette and 63 340. Thank you both.
The following users liked this post:
SledgeHammer 2.0 (09-15-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 08:39 PM
Drothgeb
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

With all of the info posted, I’m surprised that the methane from cow farts, burps and poop hasn’t been mentioned.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samlemo.../#6015500278a9

Last edited by Drothgeb; 09-13-2018 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:13 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Drothgeb
With all of the info posted, I’m surprised that the methane from cow farts, burps and poop hasn’t been mentioned.

I put out more methane than any ten cows. According to my GF.
I must be an AGW major culprit.
Doug
Old 09-14-2018, 01:43 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

I am helping reduce global warming - by eating those methane producing monsters - cows!

Last edited by tuxnharley; 09-14-2018 at 01:43 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:35 AM
Drothgeb
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

I’m sure I don’t have enough going in one end to compensate for what comes out the other end.

Quick Reply: Are you going to have gasoline in CA in 25 years for your Corvettes?