C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

65 396 big block

Old 09-18-2018, 12:30 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
my dad has a car that came from Roberts Chevrolet in Hicksville
I worked at Robert Chevrolet in 60's. Hicksville.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:20 PM
mauricejames
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default tag

Originally Posted by AkrHack
The tag on your '65 should look like this. As an example, this is the trim tag under the glove box on my '67.
nope. no tag there.just what i said on door jam.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:22 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

I keep reading the answers and still wonder what the situation is.

Let me try it this way:

1. Is the original VIN tag mounted on the steel bar under the passenger side dash area - Yes or No?
2. Is the original trim tag mounted on the steel bat under the passenger side dash area - Yes or No?
3. Was this car originally equipped with a 396 engine from the factory - Yes or No?

OK, we know that the car has a New York State assigned VIN (the yellow tag in the door jam area) What numbers are on this yellow tag?

What numbers are stamped on the front engine pad of the engine that is in the car? This will identify what that actual engine originally came out of.

Thanks for your help with this?
The following users liked this post:
mauricejames (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 01:34 PM
mauricejames
Intermediate

Default 65 vette

Originally Posted by jv04
I don't think I ever was able to determine from this conversation if the car still has it's original VIN tag and trim tag. I think the owner said the numbers were "off". Not sure what that means.

All I got from the question was that the car is not "numbers matching".

Some states remove the original VIN tag and trim tag on a theft recovery, others do not. Or the original tags may have been removed by the thieves, but the question still remains

Does the car have it's original VIN tag and trim tag still on it? A photograph of the steel bar just underneath the passenger side dash will determine that?

Does the car have a state issued VIN tag in place of the original VIN tag?

Is the car a factory original 396 car, even if it does not now have it's original engine?

These questions affect value to some degree.

Now, having said all of that, I concur with many hear that mid to high 20s is way too cheap for a decent condition running and driving mid year .

It is clear that you have other more pressing issues right now, and you are not quite ready to sell.

But when you get to that point, if you were to post some pictures, including pictures of whatever tags are still on the car, there are quite a few people on this forum that can provide you with valuable information as to overall condition, market conditions, and even a good estimate of market value.

Most important, my thoughts and prayers for you and your husband during this difficult time.
for starters thanks for your kindness. the car actually is with the dealer now, who intends to auction unless someone comes in and falls in love. sorry i dont seem to satisfy everyone here with my answers but all i know is what i had said in previous posts.(no tags, all removed ), engine was rebuilt as i said, and not the original engine for that car-big block engine in small block car, m21" rock crusher transmission" ....- besides all of that, the hood is not the hood for a 65 rather a hood from a 67, 427. so as i said, not a "collectors" car, but very hot nonetheless and very cared for, in very good condition, and he seems to think i will get the money im looking for and his 10% too. meanwhile my husband saw a black on black 91 porsche so i guess my audi is never getting in the garage. we will see.
as soon as the car on his website, if you want to look since im too dorky to know how to post, you can see.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:44 PM
mauricejames
Intermediate

Default response/

Originally Posted by jv04
I keep reading the answers and still wonder what the situation is.

Let me try it this way:

1. Is the original VIN tag mounted on the steel bar under the passenger side dash area - Yes or No?
2. Is the original trim tag mounted on the steel bat under the passenger side dash area - Yes or No?
3. Was this car originally equipped with a 396 engine from the factory - Yes or No?

OK, we know that the car has a New York State assigned VIN (the yellow tag in the door jam area) What numbers are on this yellow tag?

What numbers are stamped on the front engine pad of the engine that is in the car? This will identify what that actual engine originally came out of.

Thanks for your help with this?
ok, i'' try again. 1. no 2. no 3 no
ny3626, cant tell you the numbers on engine as not in my possession and the guy has the paperwork which tells the rebuilt numbers.
honestly, i thought i made it clear from the start, that it is not a collectors car. but, a well cared for, well loved, very well running car. as i said when it's up on the website i will supply the info.

just curious why the vin number, since i already said it was stolen, is important?
nick
Old 09-18-2018, 08:16 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by mauricejames
well to answer and not ‘regurgitate ‘ No
only yellow nys tag in door jam
is that the right answer?
The answer to what many have been asking appears to be that this car has NY state issued vin tag. Good luck with your sale.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:30 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

This thread is wearing me out. Set a firm $35,000 and you'll get it.
mauricejames (09-20-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 09:34 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by bb62
I agree that running driving C2s - of ANY year - at $25K to $30K - is way too cheap. Condition is the major factor in valuing these NOM driver Corvettes. I would not worry about the replaced VIN and Trim plate. As long as the car is legal, then there should be no issues. The VIN and the Trim only become important with a vehicle that has additional value driven by collector pricing. It doesn't sound like this is that car. Pictures would be greatly helpful - and if you can't do it yourself - email them to one of us and we will post them.
I disagree. From what I can gather from the OPs info this car has many strikes against it.
1. State issued tag which is on the same value level as a salvage title car.
2. It is a small block car that someone stuck a BB in--not a bad thing but it is NOT an original BB car.
3. The trim tag is missing.
4.With all of this info I think the car would be a candidate for a restomod with regards to ever seeing any increase in value for this car. That is not to say that the car can't be enjoyed and driven as-is. Just don't ever expect anyone to give you any more for it then the sum total of it's parts.
JMO.

Last edited by 68hemi; 09-18-2018 at 09:35 PM.
59BlueSilver (01-26-2019)
Old 09-19-2018, 10:45 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

ok, i'' try again. 1. no 2. no 3 no
ny3626, cant tell you the numbers on engine as not in my possession and the guy has the paperwork which tells the rebuilt numbers.
honestly, i thought i made it clear from the start, that it is not a collectors car. but, a well cared for, well loved, very well running car. as i said when it's up on the website i will supply the info.

just curious why the vin number, since i already said it was stolen, is important?
nick
Thank you, that does answer my questions. Best of luck on your sale.

The VIN number is important because some states used the original VIN number on a state assigned VIN tag. Knowing the original VIN number is of value.

Aad again, thought and prayers for you and your husband.
mauricejames (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 03:41 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,272 Likes on 813 Posts

Nice Driver C2's are still worth $40-50K.
IF this car has a good frame, good birdcage and body, clean interior, good paint and a clean install of the 396 I would put it at the high end.
We have seen many sell in this range that are not perfect or original.
The original bidder finding a small crack by the headlight and making an issue of it cracks me up. These 50 year old cars have many cracks unless they have been restored or were never driven.
My only fear buying this car as a personal driver would be documentation of the original theft, recovery and history since.
Some states can be very picky on paperwork received before issuing documents of ownership.
And..... without pictures our opinions are all speculation.
Mark
Old 09-19-2018, 03:46 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Originally Posted by Westlotorn
Nice Driver C2's are still worth $40-50K.
IF this car has a good frame, good birdcage and body, clean interior, good paint and a clean install of the 396 I would put it at the high end.
We have seen many sell in this range that are not perfect or original.
The original bidder finding a small crack by the headlight and making an issue of it cracks me up. These 50 year old cars have many cracks unless they have been restored or were never driven.
My only fear buying this car as a personal driver would be documentation of the original theft, recovery and history since.
Some states can be very picky on paperwork received before issuing documents of ownership.
And..... without pictures our opinions are all speculation.
Mark
Then I think you should buy it and when you get ready to sell it let us know what you got for it and how easy it was to sell with that state issued tag
Old 09-19-2018, 07:01 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

State issued vin not such a big deal. Especially if the frame and motor vin's match.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:37 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Originally Posted by hope2
State issued vin not such a big deal. Especially if the frame and motor vin's match.
Have read this entire thread? It is not an original BB car it was a SB. The frame V.I.N. is NOT going to match the transplanted engine of unknown origin. Try and trade a car in with a salvage or state issued V.I.N. and see what they give you for it compared to a like type car without.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:43 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,272 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi

Then I think you should buy it and when you get ready to sell it let us know what you got for it and how easy it was to sell with that state issued tag
Maybe she would trade for my car, which is all original bumper to bumper L79 car but needs Paint,a frame, engine repair, birdcage repair new interior and all the usual upgrades of chrome parts that no longer look new.
But it is original and has all the proper documentation and only 75,000 miles.
I enjoy repairing/restoring cars. It is a hobby for me. The car will always be upside down when done and I know that. My point is, as others have mentioned, this Lady owns a Vette and it might be a great entry into enjoying a nice car.
You can do that now rather than worrying about price drop or value down the road.
Buy a brand new Vette, drive it off the lot, keep it a year and guess what, it just dropped $10-20K in value. This old Vette could do at least that good for the new owner.
I would not pay full price but depending on the car condition I would certainly entertain buying it.
Except for the cars my wife insists on owning I have made a little money on every car I have owned, I usually keep them 5-10 years so I feel pretty good about that history.
My old Vette has history for me so it is not for sale and will not be unless I am forced into the sale.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:45 PM
mauricejames
Intermediate

wow. i did think this site was to help one another and most are very helpful. i actually have a pretty good sense of humor but fail to see why the sarcastic response. meanwhile, we all know this is no collectable, a bastardized vette, with the wrong hood, the wrong (bigger) engine, and loved for 25 years, always garaged, no dings, no accident (in spite of the first fool's comments) and the professional who now has the car, sees no reason to have any problem selling the car, either to someone who comes into his lovely showroom, or at an auction. and oh btw, i had zero problems buying it 25 yrs ago and nothing has changed.
so, time will tell but really, thanks for all of you who offered info, support, and knowledge.
i do see, hemi, that you have owned many many corvettes, and i guess that makes you some kind of expert. i will inform all of you , of the outcome. im in no rush, and neither is my wife, so.....we shall see. i'll also, when it's posted on his website, give the info so those who want to see can. as i said, phil, has the pictures and i certainly give him permission to post them, if he wants to. inside and out. shucks, we redid the seats, so i surely hope that doesnt detract from my already screwed up car,.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:04 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

wow. i did think this site was to help one another and most are very helpful. i actually have a pretty good sense of humor but fail to see why the sarcastic response. meanwhile, we all know this is no collectable, a bastardized vette, with the wrong hood, the wrong (bigger) engine, and loved for 25 years, always garaged, no dings, no accident (in spite of the first fool's comments) and the professional who now has the car, sees no reason to have any problem selling the car, either to someone who comes into his lovely showroom, or at an auction. and oh btw, i had zero problems buying it 25 yrs ago and nothing has changed.
so, time will tell but really, thanks for all of you who offered info, support, and knowledge.
i do see, hemi, that you have owned many many corvettes, and i guess that makes you some kind of expert. i will inform all of you , of the outcome. im in no rush, and neither is my wife, so.....we shall see. i'll also, when it's posted on his website, give the info so those who want to see can. as i said, phil, has the pictures and i certainly give him permission to post them, if he wants to. inside and out. shucks, we redid the seats, so i surely hope that doesnt detract from my already screwed up car,.
Many here have asked questions that need answering to help with your question of what your car is worth. Some have offered estimates. But no one here has made you an offer to buy it. That says a lot about what they think are the issues with your car. Just because someone throws a price out here in this thread does not mean they are willing to pay that for the car. It sounds like you have a dealer handling the sale of your car now. Even they apparently did not make you a real offer for the car. You can much more interest with some good pictures. The pictures will answer some questions and probably bring some more. Good luck with your sale.

Last edited by provette67; 09-19-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:46 PM
mauricejames
Intermediate

Default response to provette67

Originally Posted by provette67
Many here have asked questions that need answering to help with your question of what your car is worth. Some have offered estimates. But no one here has made you an offer to buy it. That says a lot about what they think are the issues with your car. Just because someone throws a price out here in this thread does not mean they are willing to pay that for the car. It sounds like you have a dealer handling the sale of your car now. Even they apparently did not make you a real offer for the car. You can much more interest with some good pictures. The pictures will answer some questions and probably bring some more. Good luck with your sale.

actually, without pictures, i realize that it's impossible, even knowing the details provided, to offer a price, no one, went on this board to try and sell our car. merely went on, after fast talking flipper tried to press my wife into a fast deal, telling us what was wrong and continually telling her what was wrong, and when my wife said "i dont think you should buy this car" , he then said, "i dont want to lose it over $500 bucks". at that point he was willing to give us, 28 and the next day when my wife , who only spoke to my friend, not the flipper (who seems to never want to do the actual phone talking), they were up to 29, never even driving the car. actually, the dealer had my wife sign for 60 days, with the promise of at least 30 to us, and he expects to get 10 % above. so please dont think we dont have a firm offer of 30, as we do. since we arent in a hurry, he knows, part of the deal is we renew, and he keeps the car in the showroom, and he seems to know what to do with auctions (videos, etc)/ he's also, putting in a new window in the rag top, and after it's on the lift, if it's not dry, will fix, at his expense and yes, we realize it will come off the top which is fine with both of us. so...bottom line, we walk away with 30 grand. it was NEVER our idea, that someone here would want to buy the car, merely went on to get a ball park, as best we could, since fast talker, was just that but didnt want to let the car go. wanted to make a deal that minute. yeah, not so fast, makes me wonder and as someone wise here said, kick em to the curb when they start that complaining about what is wrong with the car. and oh, btw, it was never in an accident according to a corvette mechanic unlike what fast talker said. there is no actual crack in the paint near the headlight as fast talker was attempting to say. all he did was complain but wouldnt walk away. what does that mean? he wants a piece of crap for less money? yeah, somehow, not what we think, especially after the other guy came with his mechanic, went all over it as best as you can without putting it on a life, called my wife after doing his auction research and said "DONT sell it to him. " naive? i dont think so, as he has guarenteed that he will buy it from us, if we dont want to wait, if it doesnt go in 60 days. yes, in writing. so.....not looking for anything here but some info and i realize without pics, pretty difficult. phil -as i said, was emailed several pictures , inside and out, ......
nice that some think only collectable numbers matching cars will sell but....im not at all worried. it will sell, and i wont give it away. it's not like we are hiding anything-when you say 'what is wrong with your car". my god, it was said from the very beginning what was not right with the car, and what it was that wasnt right,. never claimed it was a numbers matching, 65 vette. first post said almost everything that made it NOT a collectable. so, you mean only collectable car guys go on this site? if so, i guess we made a mistake and arent really welcome here.
oh well. im sure we will do just fine, and those that dont have "collectable only " attitude, may want to hear, in the end, how we do. others, please feel free, to have your popcorn elsewhere, and skip the posts.
again, thanks to those who offered some solid advice nicely, the rest, thanks anyway, and btw, who in their right mind without seeing any pictures would give me an offer to buy the car? i sure wouldnt.

Last edited by mauricejames; 09-19-2018 at 08:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 65 396 big block

Old 09-19-2018, 09:06 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Yes I have owned a fair amount of them and there are others here that have owned/own more than me. I don't consider myself an "expert" but I have always made money on my purchases/ownership of old Corvettes if that means anything. I was also in the auto business in one fashion or another for 30+ years and was the Director of Fleet Sales for one of the worlds largest Nissan dealerships so I have a pretty good Idea of the value of a car with a state issued V.I.N. tag.

I am not dissing your car. You came to this forum asking for a value. You may have noticed I have not given you one, that is because you have not provided any pictures of the things many have asked for. I will tell you that I think your car would be valued at the value of a like condition 1965 327 car + $5000. for that 45K mile 396 it has in it, MINUS about 40% for the state issued V.I.N. tag and missing trim tag. That said if it is a #3 car condition wise this would put the car at about $27K. but of course this is subjective since we have not seen any pictures.

I say good luck to you on your sale. Having owned it as long as you have I am sure that no matter what you get for it you will get more than you paid for it and you can't say that for most cars you have owned for 25 years.

Last edited by 68hemi; 09-19-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:12 PM
Vette5311
Le Mans Master

Received 1,249 Likes on 837 Posts
Default Yep

Originally Posted by 68hemi
Yes I have owned a fair amount of them and there are others here that have owned/own more than me. I don't consider myself an "expert" but I have always made money on my purchases/ownership of old Corvettes if that means anything. I was also in the auto business in one fashion or another for 30+ years and was the
Director of Fleet Sales for one of the worlds largest Nissan dealerships so I have a pretty good Idea of the value of a car with a state issued V.I.N. tag.

I am not dissing your car. You came to this forum asking for a value. You may have noticed I have not given you one, that is because you have not provided any pictures of the things many have asked for. I will tell you that I think your car would be valued at the value of a like condition 1965 327 car + $5000. for that 45K mile 396 it has in it, MINUS about 40% for the state issued V.I.N. tag and missing trim tag. That said if it is a #3 car condition wise this would put the car at about $27K. but of course this is ubjective since we have not seen any pictures.

I say good luck to you on your sale. Having owned it as long as you have I am sure that no matter what you get for it you will get more than you paid for it and you can't say that for most cars you have owned for 25 years.
Well said
mauricejames (09-20-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 09:15 PM
Starfish Prime
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Fair price 50,000..............pesos
Why no pics? Not a millennial around to post for you?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 65 396 big block