C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] C2 at Silver State Classic

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 03:03 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

A follow-up story... A few days after returning to Riverside I headed back to Seattle... drove straight through in about 19 hours, only stopping for fuel and food. When
necessary I worked the Wonderbar to find Top 40 AM stations and usually had one dialed in wherever I was. It was probably the number one tune on the chart at that time, and I must have heard it at least once per hour, which is probably why I remember the first few lines of the lyrics after over 50 years. It became my theme song for the trip.

"Gimme a ticket for an airplane,
Ain't got time to take the fast train,
'Cause my baby, she wrote me a letter..."

I think the title is "The Letter", but don't remember the group.

Do any of you guys remember that hit from the summer of 1967 and who was the musical group?

Duke
Old 09-18-2018, 03:09 PM
Dad's '66 427
Drifting

Received 1,555 Likes on 612 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
A follow-up story... A few days after returning to Riverside I headed back to Seattle... drove straight through in about 19 hours, only stopping for fuel and food. When
necessary I worked the Wonderbar to find Top 40 AM stations and usually had one dialed in wherever I was. It was probably the number one tune on the chart at that time, and I must have heard it at least once per hour, which is probably why I remember the first few lines of the lyrics after over 50 years. It became my theme song for the trip.

"Gimme a ticket for an airplane,
Ain't got time to take the fast train,
'Cause my baby, she wrote me a letter..."

I think the title is "The Letter", but don't remember the group.

Do any of you guys remember that hit from the summer of 1967 and who was the musical group?

Duke
The Box Tops?

Thanks to Google...… I was born in the summer of '67...… don't really remember what songs were playing then.....
The following users liked this post:
SWCDuke (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 04:51 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by firstgear

yes, 90 mile course. There is really only one set of S curves that if you take them fast enough you will feel some G’s. The rest is a bunch of sweeps and some up/downs. But make no mistake, that set of S curves is in an area called the narrows. Why narrows? Because you are basically in a canyon and if you go off road you will probably die as the canyon walls aren’t far enough from the road that you will scrub enough speed off the car. This year I took them at 95 and I could feel some, but I wasn’t using all of the road until late in.....

we did have a great time and now we are looking at some other open road courses that we might tackle as well.
When you say feel some you are referring to feeling some g loading in corners?

In the narrows I am assuming the Canyons rise up from the road? ​​​​​​I get scared when I think about huge drop offs. Of those I am not a fan.

What other open road events are there? Hearing about them and these stories makes me want to try it at least once. I have never been very fast for a period of time and would like to have that experience and quite frankly have never been very fast at all.

Can I enter a slower class than what the car is capable of? What happens if I am in an entry level class but decide to run it up over 200 mph for a stretch just because I have always wanted to do that?

I am going to review the safety requirements for this event and see if I can get the car to fit in somewhere.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:02 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

When I was the Plant Manager of the Viper Plant, I provided a new '98 Viper GTS Coupe (dead stock except for a cage and fire system) for John Hennessey to drive at the Silver State Classic (1998, I think), and I rode shotgun with him. Don't recall how closely we came to our target speed, but we ran 171 on the way up and 172 on the way back, Scariest ride of my life!
The following 2 users liked this post by JohnZ:
firstgear (09-18-2018), Westlotorn (04-06-2024)
Old 09-18-2018, 09:19 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Racingswh
When you say feel some you are referring to feeling some g loading in corners?

In the narrows I am assuming the Canyons rise up from the road? ​​​​​​I get scared when I think about huge drop offs. Of those I am not a fan.

What other open road events are there? Hearing about them and these stories makes me want to try it at least once. I have never been very fast for a period of time and would like to have that experience and quite frankly have never been very fast at all.

Can I enter a slower class than what the car is capable of? What happens if I am in an entry level class but decide to run it up over 200 mph for a stretch just because I have always wanted to do that?

I am going to review the safety requirements for this event and see if I can get the car to fit in somewhere.
as a rookie, you will have to attend rookie class unless you can get an exemption (accomplished SCCA racer or other sanctioned body, NASCAR, etc). Rookie class will limit your target speed to 110mph and a maximum speed of 124mph. Exceed and they catch you, DQ immediately. Then there is the Sherrifs deputy at the finish that will give you a speeding ticket with the value OVER THE POSTED LIMIT. Are you sure you want to try it?

There are two races out of Ely, one in May and the other in April. There is one called Big Bend out of southern Texas and Sandhills out of Nebraska. Those are the 4 that I know of. Google them, each has a website with links to rules and other information.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:26 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

It’s not how fast you go, it’s how accurate you can be!

Last edited by firstgear; 09-18-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Racingswh (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 10:15 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by firstgear
It’s not how fast you go, it’s how accurate you can be!

Gorgeous! Again congrats on the win and for such a great thread!!

This has really struck a cord with me!! Maybe because the first Corvette I was ever in was a C2 and my impression of fast was embedded in me by Corvette's at a very young age? Who knows?

I am going to Google those other events as well. I will educate myself on the rules. Thank you for explaining the possible penalties. It's a long tow out but I definitely want to try it!!
firstgear (09-19-2018)

Quick Reply: [C2] C2 at Silver State Classic