C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Tank removal on 65 Convertable

Old 09-16-2018, 07:03 PM
jsans
CF Senior Member

Default Fuel Tank removal on 65 Convertable

Try to do something that appears to be very straight forward and it turns into a big pain.

Found rust in my tank so I decided to go ahead and replace it on my 65 convertible. Unbolted the bottom cross beam, got the straps off, disconnected the fuel line from the sending unit. I am now able to rotate the old tank to a certain degree, but it seems to be hitting the exhaust hanger and preventing it from dropping.

The exhaust hangers are so rusty to the point that they are very difficult to unscrew with the mufflers in the way, but the pipes and mufflers are in decent shape.

So my question is....before I go crazy and begin cutting exhaust pipes and mufflers so I can access the hanger bolts better, is it absolute necessary to remove the hangers in order to get the tank out?

Should the filler neck on top of the tank be unscrewed though the gas filler hole or will the tank rotate and drop with it still attached to the tank? I'm wondering if it's a factor by rubbing against the fiberglass as I attempt to rotate and slide the tank down, making his even more difficult.

Any advice or insight will be appreciated.

Last edited by jsans; 09-16-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:07 PM
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 3,350 Times in 2,656 Posts

Removing the filler neck is a big help. There is a Garage Squad episode on a 63 that shows the process.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:42 PM
1snake
CF Senior Member

This probably won't help but this is how I remove the tank on all my restorations. This is a 65 BB convertible. Beware of "project creep".
Old 09-16-2018, 10:40 PM
jsans
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
Removing the filler neck is a big help. There is a Garage Squad episode on a 63 that shows the process.
Found a bunch of old posts with great information. I'm late to the party being that my car was garaged for 25 years.

Filler neck does not need to come off on a convertible, only on the coupe. One of the mufflers does need to be at least moved out of the way, although some people claim they've been able to remove the tank without muffler interference. Looks like I'll need to take rusted u bolts off, ouch.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:42 PM
jsans
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1snake View Post
This probably won't help but this is how I remove the tank on all my restorations. This is a 65 BB convertible. Beware of "project creep".
Almost wish I was at that stage. I learned fuel systems, very much like brakes do not stand the test of time. Meaning you pretty much have to replace every component after long term storage unless you keep the vehicle in an environmentally controlled environment.

Yes scope creep seems to happen with everything you touch, I use it as an opportunity to address everything around the thing I'm working on. Call it giving the vehicle a little tender loving care.

Looks like you have your work cut out for you there, good luck!
Old 09-17-2018, 08:46 AM
Mr D.
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

The mufflers installed make this job hard, I would remove one them (RH side) if possible.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:55 PM
jsans
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mr D. View Post
The mufflers installed make this job hard, I would remove one them (RH side) if possible.
Mr. D., any difference in ease of removing the tank with the RIGHT (Passenger) side muffler or the LEFT (Driver) side removed?

I'm leaning towards the driver's side so I can re-install the power antenna that someone removed some 40 years ago.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:02 PM
1snake
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by jsans View Post
Looks like you have your work cut out for you there, good luck!
Here's a link to where I'm at in the restoration. I'm on the home stretch. Cut & buff then assemble all new parts. 90% of the work is in the rear view mirror.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ck-update.html

Last edited by 1snake; 09-17-2018 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Forgot the link.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:44 PM
jsans
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1snake View Post
Here's a link to where I'm at in the restoration. I'm on the home stretch. Cut & buff then assemble all new parts. 90% of the work is in the rear view mirror.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ck-update.html
Wow you work fast, beautiful!
The Following User Says Thank You to jsans For This Useful Post:
1snake (09-17-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 11:28 AM
Desert Nomad
CF Senior Member

This is one procedure where having side pipes is a plus. Nothings in the way when it comes to removing a fuel tank.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:48 PM
srl57

I just did this project on a 65 Roadster. I pulled the filler neck first, it has to come out sometime. I got the tank out by removing one muffler and loosening the other one and pulling it aside. Going back in, you don't have gravity on your side, I ended up pulling the other muffler also to get it back in. I would recommend pulling both the mufflers right away.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:40 AM
jsans
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by srl57 View Post
I just did this project on a 65 Roadster. I pulled the filler neck first, it has to come out sometime. I got the tank out by removing one muffler and loosening the other one and pulling it aside. Going back in, you don't have gravity on your side, I ended up pulling the other muffler also to get it back in. I would recommend pulling both the mufflers right away.
That sucks.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:59 AM
fla-buckeye
CF Member

Originally Posted by jsans View Post
That sucks.
Replaced my tank awhile back, with help from Forum members. '64 Coupe, removed exhaust extensions, carefully remove rear valance, and placed it away from work area, its flimsy don't need any damage. Loosen both exhaust hangers, and push mufflers to the inside of fenders, the tank will come out this way. My mufflers were welded at all seams, so this was going to be more of a pain in the butt. This procedure work for me....................good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Tank removal on 65 Convertable

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: