C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

The things you learn at shows...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 04:47 PM
Captain Bud
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Default Thought I might get lucky

I need to preface this by saying I'm 73, mostly bald, triple chin, and a gut that can barely fit behind the steering wheel on my 1960.
Sitting at a traffic light, a new Mustang rolled up next to me. Four drop dead gorgeous girls were in it with the radio blasting with some song I can't even begin to recognize. If it's not Little Eva or Neil Diamond, I'm at a loss.
To get to the point, one of the girls yelled "hey mister, what kind of car is that?" I replied it's a 1960 Corvette. This perplexed look came over her face and she replied "I don't so. I know what a Corvette looks like, and that's no Corvette. Did some kid build it?"
It was about that time I realized the car was probably older than their fathers and I could be their grandfather. Now I was jolted back to reality about getting lucky. Now if only a carload of 70 year old drop dead gorgeous Grandmothers would have only rolled up in an Oldsmobile 442 I'm sure I would have gotten lucky.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:57 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Captain Bud
I need to preface this by saying I'm 73, mostly bald, triple chin, and a gut that can barely fit behind the steering wheel on my 1960.
Sitting at a traffic light, a new Mustang rolled up next to me. Four drop dead gorgeous girls were in it with the radio blasting with some song I can't even begin to recognize. If it's not Little Eva or Neil Diamond, I'm at a loss.
To get to the point, one of the girls yelled "hey mister, what kind of car is that?" I replied it's a 1960 Corvette. This perplexed look came over her face and she replied "I don't so. I know what a Corvette looks like, and that's no Corvette. Did some kid build it?"
It was about that time I realized the car was probably older than their fathers and I could be their grandfather. Now I was jolted back to reality about getting lucky. Now if only a carload of 70 year old drop dead gorgeous Grandmothers would have only rolled up in an Oldsmobile 442 I'm sure I would have gotten lucky.
If you want to meet "frisky" seniors Bud - come down to the Villages retirement community in Florida. But take some precautions as this neighborhood has the highest incidences of STDs in the whole STATE. I'm not kidding...

Old 09-27-2018, 04:59 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by fyreline
I can personally testify to at least one. Here in Syracuse there were a couple of good local Corvette shops - and I vividly recall seeing one SWC having just this surgery performed on it in mid-1965. I don't doubt that the same shop did others locally as well, but I personally witnessed one of them having the center bar sawn out. I didn't think anything bad of it at the time, but it sure makes me shudder now,
Ironcross on this forum (Wally Knoch) has/had a 63 coupe that had been modified and I recently saw one at a judging school that had the split cut out and then put back in again. Unfortunately, at just the right angle you could see the seams where the split was grafted back in..
Old 09-27-2018, 05:38 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 1snake
Ironcross on this forum (Wally Knoch) has/had a 63 coupe that had been modified and I recently saw one at a judging school that had the split cut out and then put back in again. Unfortunately, at just the right angle you could see the seams where the split was grafted back in..
I got to talking with my old "Corvette Buddies" from back in the day, and they also remembered the Syracuse shop I was talking about doing these conversions , , , and the color of the cars we saw differed, so they definitely did more than one. A few of the guys remembered the shop owner saying that the major holdup was getting the single-window collision parts from GM to do the job - although who knows if this was just body shop B.S. to explain why it was taking so damned long. Also, I do recall the guys doing the work worrying that no matter what they did, the conversion would still show from just the right angle . . . guess they knew what they were talking about. In any case, it's apparent that more than a few SWC's had their center bars cut out.

Old 09-27-2018, 06:38 PM
FINWOLF
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
It is absolutely, positively NOT a myth......Popular Science hosted an article on exactly how to do it...and I've posted it many times....
As to the number of cars thus butchered, nobody knows. I've heard from a few dozen to hundreds....
There is also a kit to restore the "split" in the rear on cars that suffered this indignity...

at least he got the tail lights right
Old 09-28-2018, 12:02 PM
71scgc
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

When I was very young (4-5-6), we had a family friend, an Air Force Captain B-52 navigator who had a SWC. I can remember riding around in the back of that car with his daughters like it was yesterday. Cutting that split out would have made me as sick then as it does now.
As to the reflection burn, I think the most expensive solution is to buy a 65 BB, like I did. It's probably the only car on my dream car list I'll ever be able to afford.
250 GTOs are just a bit out of my price range... Along with GT-40s, Jag Cs, Alfa Discos, 73 911 RSs, and on and on...

Carter
Old 09-28-2018, 12:27 PM
richopp
Burning Brakes

Received 175 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by 71scgc
When I was very young (4-5-6), we had a family friend, an Air Force Captain B-52 navigator who had a SWC. I can remember riding around in the back of that car with his daughters like it was yesterday. Cutting that split out would have made me as sick then as it does now.
As to the reflection burn, I think the most expensive solution is to buy a 65 BB, like I did. It's probably the only car on my dream car list I'll ever be able to afford.
250 GTOs are just a bit out of my price range... Along with GT-40s, Jag Cs, Alfa Discos, 73 911 RSs, and on and on...

Carter
Nah, you don't want any of those cars. Stick with a Corvette. I live in South Florida where those cars are a dime a dozen. No one looks at them but valet people (BIG TIP for parking in front), certain type of local ladies (BOCA BABES) who want to have an easy life with a person who can "afford" them, repair shops (guess why?), and charity people, who want a donation.

Also, many of the owners of these cars are, shall we say, lacking in social graces.

Corvettes are MUCH cooler and, down here, anyway, VERY SELDOM SEEN driving around. There are usually 3 Ferrari's, 6 Porsche's, a couple of McClaren's, a few Lamborghini's, and assorted other "exotics" in the parking lot at Publix or at the local theater/bar, or just driving around on a given day. In 46 years down here, I don't remember seeing a C2 being driven around for errands, which is what I plan to do when I get one!

We call a BMW a Boca Ford and a Mercedes a Boca Chevy.

'Vettes are MUCH cooler than those other cars, and, like most of the Porsche's, can actually be worked on and fixed easily. Now, all I gotta do is score one (working on it...).

Cheers!

Quick Reply: The things you learn at shows...