C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Found source for C2 LED headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 11:49 PM
Rob Magnano
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Found source for C2 LED headlights

www.headlightexperts.com
has anybody used this company for LED headlights on their C2. Their web sight says they are plug and play. Any feedback is appreciated. And they look very close to stock.

Thanks.

Last edited by Rob Magnano; 09-18-2018 at 12:42 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:28 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

There has been a source for a while (don't know about hi beams though); more info:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-anything.html
Old 09-18-2018, 09:12 AM
Shift_Happens
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 47 Posts

While these LED's may be minimally brighter than the original sealed beams, don't expect them to be anything like a high end halogen or HID.
What you need to look at here are the Lumens and compare to what else is out there.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:15 PM
Rob Magnano
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank you Frankie and 1973ragtop. I appreciate the info you provided. It will guide me in the right direction now.
Thanks.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:45 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

My first thought about these is that they're pricey! Prices on LED automotive lights have been dropping steadily for several years.so I'd keep shopping around.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:23 PM
bbison
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

These are the low beam specs:

Specifications

- 4,000 lumens per bulb
- Canbus Circuitry for a True Factory Replacement
- Built with Industry leading Phillips Lumiled ZES LED Chips
- Clockable/adjustable design for optimal beam patterns
- Aircraft Grade Aluminum Fin Radiator Heatsink
- 6000k Color Temperature
- Voltage: DC6V-24V
- Lifespan: 60,000 hours
- Direct replacement with your factory connector
- Lifetime warranty
- Works with Daytime Running Lights (DRL's)
- Sold in Pairs
Old 09-18-2018, 06:12 PM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Received 2,339 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by 1973ragtop
While these LED's may be minimally brighter than the original sealed beams, don't expect them to be anything like a high end halogen or HID.
What you need to look at here are the Lumens and compare to what else is out there.
The Lumens do tell the tale. In most cases the Lumen output is regulated by government mandate.

The other linked thread shows PaulUptime's LED bulbs with advanced technology five LED COB bulb biXenon movement hi/low beam style replacements that are rated at 2500 Lumens pulling 25W. These bulbs use CREE LED chips, but not the claimed 4000 Lumen chip arrays of current CREE replacement offerings (like the bulbs featured in this thread).

This is a significant step up from a tungsten sealed low beam with 700 Lumens pulling 35W, or a US DOT spec quartz-halogen HB2 style bulb producing 1200/700 Lumens on hi/low beam pulling 65/45W (a true European spec H4 delivers 1650/1000 lm @ 65/55W).

HID BiXenon bulbs produce about 2800 lm at 35W, and were a fashionable retrofit into H4/HB2 lenses, but are now illegal to sell for retrofit in many states due to excessive light scatter (unless offered in a DOT approved bulb and housing combination).

I installed BiXenon HID replacement bulbs & ballasts in all of my motorcycle H4 housings over five years ago, and they are a significant lighting improvement over Halogens with a distinct low beam cutoff when properly adjusted. The HID high beam light has exceptional reach, and a Ciebe 7" H4 driving light with a HID bulb on a off-road race bike has even more amazing reach (raising the concern for glare in traffic and heavy dust conditions).

I somewhat expect similar performance with the newer LED COB bulbs, but will wait to see how the pair of 5-element COB LED bulbs that I have on my desk work out on my 63' with H4 lenses. The price of these new CREE bulbs make them attractive H4 replacements, but achieving a good low beam cutoff is an unknown. CREE LED's offer a significant light output upgrade over traditional T3 or H4/HB2 Halogen sealed beams.

Once you get used to the improved light quality it is difficult to return to inferior lighting (but be careful, I have an unrestricted 600 lm CREE LED headlamp for my bicycle and get hi-beam flashes from oncoming traffic unless I tilt it down).
Old 09-18-2018, 06:52 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by 63 340HP

Once you get used to the improved light quality it is difficult to return to inferior lighting....,
True.....my LED low beans compared to my Halogen high beams... The LED lights have internal brushless cooling motors that you can barely hear whirring with the engine off; they cause a bit of whine on certain FM radio stations (but I use Bluetooth and Pandora so - no problem).

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-18-2018 at 06:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Found source for C2 LED headlights

Quick Reply: Found source for C2 LED headlights