C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 fuel line change help

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 10:15 AM
08redrocket
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 67 fuel line change help

I have moved my '67 from storage to the shop where I am going to go through it to get it running again. Oh, the storage time was 28 years....

The gas tank was a mess so I have removed it and I am going to replace it. The tank had 4 small holes the size of a dime or smaller on the top of the tank. So I don't want to repair it. And yes, I had fuel in it before I parked it.

Shame on me....

I am now retired and I will attempt to get my car on the road again.

When I took the tank out, I followed the metal fuel line that goes to the front of the car. From the tank it goes into the frame rail for 2 feet or so, exits, and then is attached to the outside of the frame rail to the engine compartment. I have spoken to a few people, mostly Corvette repair businesses, and they say I have to lift the body to change the metal line. I'm not sure if they are looking for more business....

I have heard several horror stories lifting the body off the frame. I'm not sure I want to do that for several of those reasons. I work alone and it would be very difficult for me to build a fixture to lift the frame. If I have to I will, but if the body comes off, then I will want to strip the frame and get it sand blasted and repainted. I am retired, so I want to get the car back on the road and do maintenance as time allows, eventually replacing the carpet, seat covers and having the car painted. This is not going to be a show car, just my hot rod to run around town in.

Has anyone replaced the metal fuel line WITHOUT lifting the body?

Thanks
Old 09-18-2018, 10:39 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,939 Likes on 4,780 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Why do you think you need to replace the fuel line? If it’s not rusty I wouldn’t worry about. Flush it out and move on. If you really want to replace it I would jack the body off the frame a few inches to gain access to it and replace the body mount bushings at the same time.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:10 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Why do you think you need to replace the fuel line? If it’s not rusty I wouldn’t worry about. Flush it out and move on. If you really want to replace it I would jack the body off the frame a few inches to gain access to it and replace the body mount bushings at the same time.
This^^^. Unless your car is a total rustbucket, the line is most likely good. Flush it out/blow it out, and move on. 28 years? Amazing. Can't imagine not driving a classic for 3 decades....
The following users liked this post:
08redrocket (09-19-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 12:40 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

Totally agree. I’d put a new tank in and be done with it.

Ed
Old 09-18-2018, 01:25 PM
08redrocket
Instructor

Thanks. I flushed and blew the line out and old gas came out but no rust. I'll use it and see how it goes.

The car sat in my garage all that time. I saw it and touched it every day.... One of those "when I get the time" situations. I have had 3 other new corvettes during that time. The '67 was my first one and I didn't want to sell it. I knew this day would come, so off I go!!
Old 09-18-2018, 01:26 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

Excellent. Keep us posted. How about a picture??

Ed
Old 09-18-2018, 02:55 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 381 Likes on 267 Posts

Make sure you look at your old tank for the tank sticker.
The following users liked this post:
08redrocket (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 09:08 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by 08redrocket
I have moved my '67 from storage to the shop where I am going to go through it to get it running again. Oh, the storage time was 28 years....

When I took the tank out, I followed the metal fuel line that goes to the front of the car. From the tank it goes into the frame rail for 2 feet or so, exits, and then is attached to the outside of the frame rail to the engine compartment. I have spoken to a few people, mostly Corvette repair businesses, and they say I have to lift the body to change the metal line. I'm not sure if they are looking for more business....

Has anyone replaced the metal fuel line WITHOUT lifting the body?

Thanks
From what I have read, most people just route the new fuel line on the inside of the frame.

If you have not tested the fuel line, I would put 20# of air or water on it to determine if it could have pin holes. A leak down test will give you an idea if there is a leak in the line inside the frame.

At a minimum, I would replace all of the rubber fuel lines after 28 years. They are probably hard and will easily crack.

Just $.02

Ron
Old 09-19-2018, 07:25 PM
08redrocket
Instructor

The rubber lines are toast. The fuel pump had fuel in it also. I poured the gas out of it but I can't get the lever to move, so I guess the inside of the pump is junk also.

All of the screws that held the filler neck in place broke off when I loosened them. I had sprayed them with penetrating fluid but that didn't help. I pressure tested the metal lines for the fuel and they are OK.

Looks like the tank had been replaced some time ago, before I go the car. The tank paper is not there.

I also took all of the calipers off and will rebuild them and the master cylinder is getting changed out. All of the rubber lines on the car are being replaced, every one of them!

Pictures to follow soon.

Thanks for all of your info and suggestions.

Get notified of new replies

To 67 fuel line change help

Quick Reply: 67 fuel line change help