C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Battery requirements??

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 04:59 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,364 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Default Battery requirements??

Looking for a replacement battery....what do these cars require as far as minimum CCA to be reliable and what do you guys usually go with as far as reserve capacity minutes? I'd like to go with the smallest, lightest battery that will fit the bill, but at the same time, after sitting for a week or two, it frequently takes a bit of cranking to get started. Not looking for specific battery recommendations, just what you've found to work well as far as battery specifications.

Thanks!!
Old 09-18-2018, 05:18 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

smallest / lightest, 'Odyssey' perhaps ........
Old 09-18-2018, 05:22 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mikado463
smallest / lightest, 'Odyssey' perhaps ........
Agreed....I've been looking at Odyssey....just not sure which model meets the needs on these cars.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:31 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30
Agreed....I've been looking at Odyssey....just not sure which model meets the needs on these cars.
use their 'look up', example, here's one for my '67 ......

http://www.odysseybattery.com/battery_search.aspx
Old 09-18-2018, 05:49 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

group 24 is all you need. why do you care about CCA when you won't be driving it in the winter when its freezing
Old 09-18-2018, 06:13 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mikado463
use their 'look up', example, here's one for my '67 ......

http://www.odysseybattery.com/battery_search.aspx
"There is currently no battery match for your vehicle"
Old 09-18-2018, 06:20 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
group 24 is all you need. why do you care about CCA when you won't be driving it in the winter when its freezing
I won't? I realize I'm in the minority, but as long as it's dry and the roads are clean, I drive both of my old cars regularly in the winter....and Virginia easily gets below 32 degrees over night in the winter. Additionally, CCA is the standard approved by the battery industry by which to compare one battery to the next.
The following 3 users liked this post by FLYNAVY30:
Sky65 (09-23-2018), USMC 0802 (09-20-2018), warrenmj (09-19-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 06:22 PM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

I have a Odyssey PC925 works fine after a couple weeks sitting. I have EFI which draws off the battery all the time. It weights just 26 pounds and has 330 CCA and 900 cranking amps. Have used in other cars as well no problems. Be sure you order the right one for your car so the terminals are on the correct side for your setup. I have AC so battery is on the driver's side. They have a PC925L which switches terminal sides. Terminals are sold separately and just screw into the battery.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:23 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RJ1
I have a Odyssey PC925 works fine after a couple weeks sitting. I have EFI which draws off the battery all the time. It weights just 26 pounds and has 330 CCA and 900 cranking amps. Have used in other cars as well no problems. Be sure you order the right one for your car so the terminals are on the correct side for your setup. I have AC so battery is on the driver's side. They have a PC925L which switches terminal sides. Terminals are sold separately and just screw into the battery.
Much appreciated, thanks!!
Old 09-18-2018, 06:24 PM
Donald #31176
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

Costco Interstate Battery Group 58. 600 CCA . $65 +$ 15 core charge.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:36 PM
mattba
Pro

Received 262 Likes on 114 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Looking for a replacement battery....what do these cars require as far as minimum CCA to be reliable and what do you guys usually go with as far as reserve capacity minutes? I'd like to go with the smallest, lightest battery that will fit the bill, but at the same time, after sitting for a week or two, it frequently takes a bit of cranking to get started. Not looking for specific battery recommendations, just what you've found to work well as far as battery specifications.

Thanks!!
I always just buy a Group 24 with a flat top so I can use a topper. Amazing how many people think they are a vintage battery at the shows for a fraction of the price without the hassle of a real one!

Last edited by mattba; 09-18-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:14 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I won't? I realize I'm in the minority, but as long as it's dry and the roads are clean, I drive both of my old cars regularly in the winter....and Virginia easily gets below 32 degrees over night in the winter. Additionally, CCA is the standard approved by the battery industry by which to compare one battery to the next.
i drive my Chevelle well into the cold season with a group 24 with I think 650 CCA. It has no problem turning over the B.B. in my unheated garage
Old 09-18-2018, 07:30 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Perfect, thanks....wasnt sure what the specs on a group 24 battery were. As far as I can tell, “group” generally refers to physical size...which obviously corrolates to battery performance on some level. Im just trying to sort out what level of performance is required, then find the smallest/lightest reliable option available.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:30 PM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 572 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Perfect, thanks....wasnt sure what the specs on a group 24 battery were. As far as I can tell, “group” generally refers to physical size...which obviously corrolates to battery performance on some level. Im just trying to sort out what level of performance is required, then find the smallest/lightest reliable option available.
Buy the basic Delco for around $120!

Old 09-19-2018, 09:41 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,188 Posts

All C1/2 OE batteries were BCI Group 24. The BCI group number defines the exterior physical dimensions and features. Back in the day CCA and reserve capacity were not stated. Batteries were only rated by "amp-hours", and the OE Delco in my SWC was 61.

Within the various size groups there may be different CCA ratings, and the higher rated batteries will usually be more expensive and have a longer warranty. These higher rated batteries have more plate area, so they are heavier.

For all my cars I just buy the least expensive battery I can find and Walmart usually has the best price. My oldest current battery is a 26R that I've actually killed stone dead twice. It's still going at 17 years, but I know it's getting weak and should be replaced soon.

Typical "maintenance free" batteries have a natural discharge rate of about one percent per day at room temperature, but the lower the temp the lower the discharge rate and vice versa. Plus there's about a 20-30 ma draw through the alternator. Having a battery cutoff switch eliminates that along with the clock keeping time.

One of the reasons I've gotten so much service out of the 17 year old, forty dollar 26R is that I always charge it prior to starting if the car has not been started for a few days, which is usually the case. In fact, it's usually two to three weeks. If you don't do this and only drive the car every three weeks it's at least 20 percent discharged. Batteries have a chemical memory such that if the engine is repeatedly started with a significantly discharged battery, it will eventually never come back to a full charge no matter how long you charge it, so battery life will be short.

Most batteries are manufactured by Johnson Controls, and the same battery is sold in many "brands" with different stick on labels. Autozone, Walmart, Costco... those are all made by JC. So I just buy from the least expensive source, remove all the gaudy stick on labels (and move the warranty label to where it can't be seen when installed in the car) and end up with a plain black battery that doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Finally, modern lead acid batteries really aren't maintenance free, no matter what is advertised. Typical JC batteries have 3-gang cell covers that can be easily removed with a putty knife, which I do once a year and top off as required with distilled water. That's another reason why I get very long life out of inexpensive batteries.

If you charge before every use, add distilled water as required at least once a year, and usually only start the car in mild temperatures you can easily get away with the least expensive and least CCA Group 24 that you can find, and it will likely be no less than 500 CCA, which is more than adequate and is likely considerably more than the OE Delco that was installed at St. Louis.

Duke

Last edited by SWCDuke; 09-19-2018 at 09:52 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SWCDuke:
FLYNAVY30 (09-19-2018), Sky65 (09-23-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 11:10 AM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

SWC Duke (with detail) and several others (more tersely) have fairly well nailed it. Any Group 24 will work just fine and to assure a long life install a disconnect switch for when the car is not in use. I presently have four 24s in service, all between 16 and 20 years of age. No climate controlled storage, no trickle charger or battery tender involved to disrupt the battery's natural equilibrium, just consistent use of a disconnect switch to eliminate parasitic drain. No need to spend for the modern, expensive batteries which apparently, if you frequent the several automobile forums, do not have a very great longevity.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:35 AM
Desert Nomad
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

I got sixteen years out of my last AC Delco. I replaced it with another AC Delco series 24 700CCW. Problem I had was that the lip on the bottom of the battery that is used to hold down the battery in the tray was to high for the clamp to bite in and secure. I had to fabricate a clamp to hold it down. Thought all 24 series would fit. Dimension wise, yes, but securing the hold down obviously not. The Corvette shop I bought it from had no clue. This a '67' 427 conv. Just saying.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery requirements??

Old 09-19-2018, 12:57 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Why pay more? $46.99 Made by Exide and all the power you need.

https://www.ruralking.com/battery-525-cca

Last edited by MikeM; 09-19-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:10 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Follow up story...

A buddy called a couple of days ago and said the battery in his three year old Ford Escape went TU. I explained why OE batteries are short lived. From the plant to the lot and while in dealer inventory the engine is started dozens of times, but only runs for a few minutes, which is not long enough to fully recharge the battery, so it slowly loses charge over time, and that "chemical memory" I mentioned previously is degrading the battery. So the battery in most new cars is already considerably aged before going into normal daily service with the first owner.

The dealer said the battery warranty was expired, and the Escape he bought had been in the dealer's inventory for several months before he bought it. (He got a smokin' year-end deal.)

I've never gotten more than about four years out of an OE battery, except the OE Delco in my SWC, which lasted seven years, but it was a plant delivery, so the battery didn't see all the usual abuse prior to going into normal daily service.

Duke
Old 09-20-2018, 10:33 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The battery in my 2016 Durango is under the passenger seat. Nice thinking by the engineers. Then I discover there is a smaller 12v battery behind the big battery. It looks like a motorcycle battery. The myth is that it supports the auto start/stop feature that kills/restarts the motor at stoplights, etc.

Quick Reply: [C2] Battery requirements??